Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you experience lag with your iPhone 6 Plus?

• Yes

Votes: 242 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 263 52.1%

• Total voters

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Assumptions:

• Using the iPhone 6 Plus (NOT the 6); and
  • Using iOS 8.x.

My Plus is laggy all over. For example, opening Apps/going to homescreen/unlocking the phone the animations are choppy as it draws up the UI like there's a pause and then a laggy flash of UI draw.

I also notice black screens sometimes when opening Apps (e.g., Facebook).

This experience seems exactly like the iPad 3 lag. Looking to see if others are experiencing these things. Please vote in the poll.

And then there's the potential lack of RAM: getting Safari Webpages reloading after leaving the App and entering back in... sometimes it happens.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
People are always screaming they want MOAR PPI than the regular retinas 300+, yet are oblivious the drawbacks to it:
  • Waste of processing power
  • Waste of battery life
  • Causes lag in animations
Of course I'm sure you will have people coming on here saying their 6+ is perfectly lag free, just that there's not a real benefit to going beyond 300+ besides to be able to brag about it on the spec sheet.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I have both the 6 and the 6 plus they both perform the same way no lag on either devices!

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I have both the 6 and the 6 plus they both perform the same way no lag on either devices!

Show us. I want everyone to demonstrate what they say. I want to see both phones side by side on a comparison. I'm going to post a video of a 6 next to a 6 Plus and a 5S if I can today and take some slo mo video to capture this.

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
I've now returned my 6+ for a 6. I returned it purely due to size.

I had the Plus for a week and there was *slight* lag in *some* animations. As I said above this wasn't the reason for the return, but it did contribute to my decision. It really is unacceptable in a brand new device.

I got burnt as an iPad 3 owner. I would be concerned that the 6+ could be another ipad 3 -especially under iOS 9 etc.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
Every iphone 6+ has lags, its just impossible that there is an iphone 6 with and one without lag. I guess the owners just realize it differently, i can clearly see it

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yes, because noticing lag is like noticing pixels on a retina display. Only the blessed few super heroes with super powers can detect them. And oddly enough, some of them are Apple product owners and MacRumors posters...

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Every iphone 6+ has lags, its just impossible that there is an iphone 6 with and one without lag. I guess the owners just realize it differently, i can clearly see it

I agree. I think it's a rhetorical question of whether the iPhone 6 Plus lags or not. Like the iPad 3, are we downscaling here in Apps and is iOS 8 also not optimized for this screen?

----------

A note about the poll. I'm building in a coefficient to offset fanboy toxic voting: trolls who try and throw off the poll to favour Apple. You know who you are.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I suspect an iPhone plus 6s is released in March fixing all these issues. It's why Apple is not making as many. They needed a placeholder with the new note coming out.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
People are always screaming they want MOAR PPI than the regular retinas 300+, yet are oblivious the drawbacks to it:
  • Waste of processing power
  • Waste of battery life
  • Causes lag in animations
Of course I'm sure you will have people coming on here saying their 6+ is perfectly lag free, just that there's not a real benefit to going beyond 300+ besides to be able to brag about it on the spec sheet.

Yet the 6 plus has above average battery life...

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Been using the 6 Plus since launch day and haven't experienced any noticeable lag if I'm honest. Unless you are really trying hard to look for lag, it's barely even noticeable. The only evidence I see go any 'lag' is when I drag the screen down for Spotlight, but even then, it's not really something that's even that noticeable. I don't understand where all this '6 Plus lags' is coming from.

With regards to the black screens, I think that's something to do with the apps not being optimised for iOS 8 rather than the phone itself.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013

Can't say I've noticed this "above average" battery life after 1 week of use. The battery life has been decent, but nothing like the hype. I get a day of use out of it. Same old for me.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I haven't noticed any lag. Maybe there's some there but it's not affecting my normal use of the phone.

As for the screens, when you have a screen that big, the lower ppi would have become noticeable. 1080p is the sweet spot for large phones, IMO. Anything more will cause significant lag, anything less looks less than optimal. And before someone accuses me of being an Apple fanboy, I've felt that way since before the Plus was announced. People have jumped on the Sony Z3 for "only" having a 1080p screen, but that's the Android phone I'd get today if I weren't using iOS.

Reactions: rhettmcnulty

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

... and would have even more battery life (and faster processing and less lag) if it weren't for spec heads clamoring for PPI increases beyond 300+ that aren't truly visible to most customers beyond a spec sheet.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
And would have even more battery life (and faster processing and less lag) if it weren't for spec heads clamping for PPI increases that aren't truly visible to most customers...

You make a point but you can't assume to know what everyone sees and thinks. I can see a difference between this 401 ppi screen and the 326 ppi screen of other iPhones. It's noticeable.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Show us. I want everyone to demonstrate what they say. I want to see both phones side by side on a comparison. I'm going to post a video of a 6 next to a 6 Plus and a 5S if I can today and take some slo mo video to capture this.

If you need a slo mo video to see it, I think we all can agree it's not an issue. I played with both in Apple s, both were fine.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Just ran Zen Garden. Lots of lag (stutters) in every scene. The one with the tree where you use touch to make it blossom... I was sliding and touching it all over and some blossoms came up and then after a 10 second lag/delay all of a sudden the tree had all the blossoms filled in. It was delaying/lagging the real-time drawing up of the tree blossoms.

Brutal.

If anyone wants to try, the App Store has Zen Garden available for download.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
You make a point but you can't assume to know what everyone sees and thinks. I can see a difference between this 401 ppi screen and the 326 ppi screen of other iPhones. It's noticeable.

It is not. iPhone 6 seems even better to me. You can't compare ppi on 2 different screen sizes. You'd need two 4.7 screens with different ppis

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
... and would have even more battery life (and faster processing and less lag) if it weren't for spec heads clamoring for PPI increases beyond 300+ that aren't truly visible to most customers beyond a spec sheet.

Put a phone with the size of the Plus and the ppi of the regular 6 next to the current Plus and I think a lot of people would be able to tell the difference. Some people really have a bug up their butts about the 6 Plus, I swear.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I agree. I think it's a rhetorical question of whether the iPhone 6 Plus lags or not. Like the iPad 3, are we downscaling here in Apps and is iOS 8 also not optimized for this screen?

A note about the poll. I'm building in a coefficient to offset fanboy toxic voting: trolls who try and throw off the poll to favour Apple. You know who you are.

If you are already convinced that there is a lag in the 6+, why did you create a poll?:rolleyes:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
It's noticeable (in regards to 326 vs 401 PPI).

Put a phone with the size of the Plus and the ppi of the regular 6 next to the current Plus and I think a lot of people would be able to tell the difference.

Source?

Apple clearly felt differently when Steve Jobs talked about how with the retina screen people can't even make out individual pixels at 326 ppi. The fact that they went 1080p to simply match up with the spec sheets of android flagships doesn't change what Steve Jobs said for the iPhone 4 keynote.

Edit: Nevermind, no source, simply just your own opinion.

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
I haven't noticed any lag. Maybe there's some there but it's not affecting my normal use of the phone.

As for the screens, when you have a screen that big, the lower ppi would have become noticeable. 1080p is the sweet spot for large phones, IMO. Anything more will cause significant lag, anything less looks less than optimal. And before someone accuses me of being an Apple fanboy, I've felt that way since before the Plus was announced. People have jumped on the Sony Z3 for "only" having a 1080p screen, but that's the Android phone I'd get today if I weren't using iOS.

Then.... Why does the iPad mini Retina have a 326ppi?...

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
It is not. iPhone 6 seems even better to me. You can't compare ppi on 2 different screen sizes. You'd need two 4.7 screens with different ppis

No you do not need two different screen sizes. Please explain yourself. Hint: I know the errors in your thinking and am sucking you into embarrassing yourself... :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you need a slo mo video to see it, I think we all can agree it's not an issue. I played with both in Apple s, both were fine.

It can help illustrate the issue. Your brain is surprisingly good at adapting to lag that you only notice once its no longer there. And comparing to another iPhone would be interesting anyway.

On the topic of your brain adapting for lag and delays (which isn't necessarily the case here) if you ever watched a movie that the audio of someone talking seemed out of sync at the beginning of the movie but fixed by the end it more then likely wasn't fixed. It was your brain adjusting to what it feels should be happening vs what is actually happening. Boring but interesting.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
None of that, even when I got 4 or 5 tabs.

BUT

I have had lag, just for a moment, when playing Gunz Dash. It slows down for a split second, as if I received a mail or call, but after when I check there's nothing. Can't see any reason for it. Happens once a game on average.

Will be interesting to see how it handles when I get some more intensive games on there.

Worth nothing I'm coming from an iPhone 4, so the 6+ feels like an overclocked hyperdrive from 2076 to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.