Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I haven't been impressed with iOS8 and the iPhone 6. I do not own the iPhone 6, but I do own an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3 that were upgraded to iOS8. I have only tested the iPhone 6 as fas as one can at the store. I don't think Apple makes groundbreaking products anymore, but I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, so it's hard to switch. I also remember all the years of non-Apple products that I used in the late 90s and early millennium that couldn't hold a candle to the second Steve Job's era, so it's also hard for me to give other devices a chance.

Let me summarize my issues with switching:

-Losing the Apple ecosystem and integration
-Apply stability and customer service
-Heavily invested in the apple ecosystem
-Are custom roms/UI all they are cracked up to be?

I'm tech savvy and I'm not a neo-luddite, but I haven't been given conclusive support for Android phones being good alternatives. I know they aren't bad phones, but aside from being able to "customize an Android," what else does it actually offer that doesn't turn into a pain in the ass?

I plan to check out the Note 4 today at a local Best Buy, so I look forward to hearing all of your opinions.

Thanks!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I haven't been impressed with iOS8 and the iPhone 6. I do not own the iPhone 6, but I do own an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3 that were upgraded to iOS8. I have only tested the iPhone 6 as fas as one can at the store. I don't think Apple makes groundbreaking products anymore, but I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, so it's hard to switch. I also remember all the years of non-Apple products that I used in the late 90s and early millennium that couldn't hold a candle to the second Steve Job's era, so it's also hard for me to give other devices a chance.

Let me summarize my issues with switching:

I'm tech savvy and I'm not a neo-luddite, but I haven't been given conclusive support for Android phones being good alternatives. I know they aren't bad phones, but aside from being able to "customize an Android," what else does it actually offer that doesn't turn into a pain in the ass?

I plan to check out the Note 4 today at a local Best Buy, so I look forward to hearing all of your opinions.

Thanks!

If its just customisation you are after, why not jailbreak. Not my cup of tea, but there are plenty on here that would be able to advise.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
If its just customisation you are after, why not jailbreak. Not my cup of tea, but there are plenty on here that would be able to advise.

I'm not just after customization. I saying that I haven't read significant support for what Android offers over iOS besides customization.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
So Apple isn't releasing groundbreaking products... Then, who is? What is changing your mind?

There's nothing groundbreaking about any other OEM at all this year, or last year, or the year before that, or even before that, or before the iPhone.

You guys have a lot of free time. Spend the money with your wife.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
So Apple isn't releasing groundbreaking products... Then, who is? What is changing your mind?

There's nothing groundbreaking about any other OEM at all this year, or last year, or the year before that, or even before that, or before the iPhone.

None of them are ground-breaking. I'm asking what keeps you in one over the other.

Apple was groundbreaking.

Aside from that, besides raising your post count, why would you even respond in the iOS alternative thread with such a response.

I'm up for a new contract, and it's a valid question.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
You don't mention what other items u have in relation to integration however

Music and videos can be imported some may need conversion DRM stripping but easy enough.

Custom ROMs are fine if you don't like bloat and you usually get latest version with some amazing features. However some do have various issues which are erased over time so it takes patience.

Stock ROMs are not particularly bad just some OEMS take an age to update

I have apple TV and synology nas and I can use my android phone to remotely send musix photos and videos across just fine.

I don't use I cloud but google drive is very competent

Several guys at worked switched and have not had any regrets however everyone's different.

If you have spent a lot on apps that could be a downside.

As for support it varies by OEM. I've had to use Asus and Samsung's support before both were crap tbh. Apple is leagues ahead here

The only difference is with custom ROMs and support is your not alone we all pool together to fix issues as such ROMs are updated very quickly and there is always support.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
You don't mention what other items u have in relation to integration however

Music and videos can be imported some may need conversion DRM stripping but easy enough.

Custom ROMs are fine if you don't like bloat and you usually get latest version with some amazing features. However some do have various issues which are erased over time so it takes patience.

Stock ROMs are not particularly bad just some OEMS take an age to update

I have apple TV and synology nas and I can use my android phone to remotely send musix photos and videos across just fine.

I don't use I cloud but google drive is very competent

Several guys at worked switched and have not had any regrets however everyone's different.

If you have spent a lot on apps that could be a downside.

My integration:

-Only use Apple desktops and laptops
-Only have iTune store music
- .Mac email
-NOT heavily invested in apps
-NOT heavily invested in Videos

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
My integration:

I use macbook pro and have no issues plus chrome can push a fair bit of stuff wirelessly

Many guides of moving iTunes music to android very easy

- .Mac email

Google can pull email from any address as far as I'm aware

Then no issue

As above

IMHO a lot of stuff is easy to do on android however you will miss out on handoff features in yosemiti

But you also gain some stuff eg

Multi tasking
Personalisation
Full google now integration
Personal choice in launcher layout lock screens themes etc
Tasker and serously this app is the king and allows u to do things with a phone that would seem not possible
Chromecast etc
xposed framework
Fully working 3rd party keyboards

Last edited:

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I like both so I have both. An iPhone 5s which I'll upgrade to a 6s next year. And I have a LG G3.

I suppose if one can only afford one phone then deciding between each platform might be difficult.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I agree I dont use iphone purely as I do dev work on custom ROMs and prefer messing around but I use iPad as it's my fav tablet both have their benefits and cons

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

why are you so emotionally attached to defending all things Apple?
I mean after a while everyone on this forum knows exactly how you will react and exactly what you are going to say. You have no credibility anymore.
Even when Apple flubs....and they do make mistakes....you defend and argue.......
Someone states an opinion they don't like an Apple product or feature and you come to Apple's rescue. Why........you seem to get your feeling hurt by it.......
Its ok for people to like Apple products but not like all of them. Its k for people to like Apple features but not all of them. To each his own......
Not everyone has the same tastes and likes........sometimes you should take that into consideration. Not everyone shares your narrow POV when it comes to Apple.

I love their products. Have a house full of them. But they are just a company to me....not an emotional attachment,
It doesn't hurt my feeling if the next guy doesn't share my views.......

Your wife it seems is Apple......

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, so it's hard to switch. Let me summarize my issues with switching:

- .Mac email

Great news is your worries are really for no reason.

Stability and Support are still great with others. I've never had to really use them much for my phone but I have worked with Samsung on a BluRay and Sony on other products. Both have local US Based support and are very helpful. In store support from say AT&T or Best Buy has been great too.

Integration wise, I'm not sure there's much to worry about. Most musics, files, vids, email, etc. will integrate pretty seamlessly. I can't speak to Android and Mac Desktops though. Don't use one. I'm a Win 7 guy.

I don't root or mess with ROM's. I've jailbroken some phones in the past, but I'm done with that now that the OS's have come as far as they have.

but aside from being able to "customize an Android," what else does it actually offer that doesn't turn into a pain in the ass?

for me the main was being able to customize apps and widgets, etc. Now it's just the love of having the phone integrated with Google Now and yes still the ability to customize my apps and how my phone does things in ways that I wasn't able to do before. Overall, I'd be hard pressed to go back to iOS.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Just wait until more devices compatible with HealthKit and HomeKit will be out there.
Plenty of Apps will come and with the other custome settings and widgets like the keyboards that were just released the so called Apple ecosystem will flourish once more.
Apple watch is coming plus AppleTV and who knows what else.

I seriously doubt that Google home Solution will be safe, and seriously think it would be the main target for hackers.

The 6s just release have nice hardware features that were overdue: larger display, great cameras, better batteries.

I think that we need just a few more months and there will be killer games running on Metal plus other plethora of apps.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just wait until more devices compatible with HealthKit and HomeKit will be out there.
Plenty of Apps will come and with the other custome settings and widgets like the keyboards that were just released the so called Apple ecosystem will flourish once more.

I seriously doubt that Google home Solution will be safe, and seriously think it would be the main target for hackers.

The 6s just release have nice hardware features that were overdue: larger display, great cameras, better batteries.

I think that we need just a few more months and there will be killer games running on Metal plus other plethora of apps.

Do you have sources for that?
Apple is secure?

Shellshock(bash)

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/09/still-more-vulnerabilities-in-bash-shellshock-becomes-whack-a-mole/

iCloud hacks.....

http://http://www.forbes.com/sites/davelewis/2014/09/02/icloud-data-breach-hacking-and-nude-celebrity-photos/

Apple new of the vulnerbility since march

http://www.gizmodo.in/news/Report-Apple-Knew-of-Security-Problems-Long-Before-iCloud-Hack/articleshow/43367658.cms

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I just left Best Buy. That store is the worst. I figured the numb-nuts at the Samsung section would at least BS me when I asked about switching from iOS.

Everyone wants the money, but they don't want to do the legwork. I'm not just talking about the Samsung rep.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I just left Best Buy. That store is the worst. I figured the numb-nuts at the Samsung section would at least BS me when I asked about switching from iOS.

Everyone wants the money, but they don't want to do the legwork. I'm not just talking about the Samsung rep.

Keep doing your research.......maybe pick up a second used Android phone to play with and see if you like it. Take your time to find what is right for you even if you find that you are good right where you already are......

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Keep doing your research.......maybe pick up a second used Android phone to play with and see if you like it. Take your time to find what is right for you even if you find that you are good right where you already are......

Do you know any good Android forums?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle

Sources for what? I am not a reporter nor a journalist, nor pretend to be one by providing or confirming 3 sources to confirm a history. I am just sharing my opinion.

Anyway as requested here is one source about Android malware:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/protect-your-android-device-from-malware/

Do you use any kind of malware protection for your devices?

Those vulnerabilities, like the recent one (bash) tend to be addressed very quickly once they are well identified. And this particular one is OpenSource stuff right?

The risk of using something done by another person is the same, it's just how much you can trust others to provide them with your business.

Same as with any locksmith. Would you trust those who will give you a copy of your house key for 'free' or prefer to pay to another one you have done business with in the past 2 decades?

Will the future bring better things?
Will they stop being trustworthy?
Who knows?

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I see a lot of people don't like to stock UIs on their androids.

Isn't keeping all those manual updates a pain in the ass?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sources for what? I am not a reporter nor a journalist, nor pretend to be one by providing or confirming 3 sources to confirm a history. I am just sharing my opinion.

Anyway as requested here is one source about Android malware:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/protect-your-android-device-from-malware/

Do you use any kind of malware protection for your devices?

Those vulnerabilities, like the recent one (bash) tend to be addressed very quickly once they are well identified. And this particular one is OpenSource stuff right?

The risk of using something done by another person is the same, it's just how much you can trust others to provide them with your business.

Same as with any locksmith. Would you trust those who will give you a copy of your house key for 'free' or prefer to pay to another one you have done business with in the past 2 decades?

Will the future bring better things?
Will they stop being trustworthy?
Who knows?
you knew for what....
you said
Originally Posted by McGiord View Post

Based on what? Sources? Has it been released yet? Has Apples been released yet? So how do you know or are just talking out your.......
That is why people ask for a source...because unless you are making statements/opinions based off of facts. You are just talking out your.......
and everyone has one of those and they all smell.....

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I see a lot of people don't like to stock UIs on their androids.

Isn't keeping all those manual updates a pain in the ass?

What do you mean by this?

I use iOS and Android daily. As my sig says, I was an iPhone user for 5 years and have used Android exclusively on my mobile for about a year and half.

I'm not sure about your Mac email. I'm assuming it's fine but someone can confirm that.

If you do make the switch, take your iTunes music and upload it to Google Music. Then you have a free cloud service to access your music. You can also then purchase from Google's music store if desired. They have a subscription pay service too.

You said you aren't heavily invested in iOS apps purchase wise so that's good.

What will Android provide you that the iPhone won't? Well for one countless hardware options. Go to any store, play with phones, see what you like.

Software wise I can tell you that I really appreciate things that were completely new to me when I got my first Android device. A notification light, a notification in my status bar versus the obnoxious iOS banner, being able to pull down my notification shade by swiping down anywhere on my screen, being able to decide how many apps I want showing up in my folders, being able to have a nice app drawer versus being forced to place all apps in folders. These things might not matter to you, but I grew to love the details.

If you purchase from a carrier store, as I recommend, your support should be solid. AT&T sales reps have been very nice and helpful whether I visit a store or call them.

What could you potentially miss from iOS? iMessage, FaceTime. The iPhone camera's tend to be best in class for a mobile. Sometimes Android devices have to wait a while to get the latest Android software (or they might not get them at all). Apple pretty much has that covered.

If you want 128 GB of storage and your Android phone has an SD card slot that supports it you can get that space for $100 versus the $200 premium with Apple.

As you can see there is a lot to consider. I use Mac's exclusively but I wouldn't let that stop me from going Android for a phone. Consider the things I've written and let us know if you have more questions.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Here's my 2c for what it's worth.

I left the ecosystem when I broke down and got the SSGS3. It took me at least 3 months to decide that I liked the phone and how different it was from iOS. You can synch up your music and media via isyncr or .... damn.. doubletwist I think its called.

Some of the differences other than customization that I really like is the ability to drag and drop whatever you want on your phone without going through itunes! I really hate itunes, it always seems like such a hassle to go into and every time they update it, I hate it more. I liked how it was with iOS6 era.

Moving on yeah there is customization which was a huge one for me. You don't have to flash roms or root to get some nice visuals on your phone if you like to freshen it up a bit.

I really like how Google maps work, I like that you can "share" almost every app with every app available on the phone rather than the select few that iOS lets you.

Ringtones and wallpaper are a breeze thanks to Zedge.

The S Pen (if you are thinking Note) will be much more functional, no more pulling across text with two fingers to highlight and copy/cut/share text or images. The ability to use the S Pen as a quick note taker when you are on a call and then easily convert your writing to a contact or to printed text, to circle the address you wrote down and bam right into Google Maps etc.

Not sure if iphones offer encryption of your device etc but I know that the galaxy line phones do (sorry I can only speak of Samsung products, as they were my first step in).

I prefer an amoled screen (that is just personal preference though). I guess I mostly covered Samsung vs Android but it is still different offerings.

It really did take me a while to decide that I liked my phone, but now I would not go back. I enjoy being in control of my device and what (excepting bloatware) runs on it (you can stop or disable the apps you don't want) put my icons where I want, have a widget or two.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Just had an experience which reminded me NOT to return to Apple:

I D/L a multi page PDF with my PC from the web and put it into my NAS

On the iPad I open the NAS software and I could open and read the PDF, but not move it iBooks

Same with the browser, I can surf to the NAS, read the PDF but not move it to iBooks.

From the PC I had to move the PDF to Dropbox (right, it can't be done from iPad either), then open it in Dropbox and finally get it into iBooks.

And did you notice you can't rename a file in crappy iBooks?

My next iPad will certainly not be from Apple.

(And since I use my iPad mainly for video and iOS has no torrent client....)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.