Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My mum is still using her ancient iPhone 4 lol

There is something wrong with her battery and it looks like she needs to book it in for an out of warranty battery repair. This will cost about £79 and she told me Apple have told her that she needs to pay a £20 upfront fee before they will look at it. So the minimum she will have to pay is £100. If they find anything else wrong with it she could be looking at an out of warranty replacement which would cost a lot more. As the phone is already 4 years old and unsupported by iOS 8, I don't think it's worth it for her to pay any money out to fix it as it probably doesn't have long left. I've tried to convince her to upgrade but she is not keen. She has two lines. One is eligible for an upgrade and the other is a year away. She says she doesn't want to use the upgrade as she wants to cancel that line and doesn't want to pay an upgrade on the other line.

So she has a samsung galaxy S3, which is almost 2 years old but still works. She's thinking of just putting the sim from her iPhone into the S3. I'm not sure what sim the iPhone 4 takes and if it is compatible with the s3 which uses a micro sim. If the sim will fit in the S3 she can simply save her contacts to the sim. If she needs to get a new sim we are thinking of how she can get her contacts onto the S3. I don't have the phone in front of me so I can't test it put. However is it possible to save your contacts via google\gmail on an iPhone. That's how I save my contacts but I'm not sure on the iPhone and I don't have it in front of me right now.

Edit: I see the iPhone 4 uses a micro sim so a straight swap should work. However still interested to know if she can save her contacts via google\gmail on the iPhone.

Last edited:

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
Yes...you can sync your contacts to a google account on itunes..once you have done that, on the s3 just sync your google acct. pretty easy. I believe it's the Info tab on the top of itunes window.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thanks. Now let's hope she still remembers her Google account details as she said she can't remember the password for her Apple ID and she's tried to reset it but the email never comes. I suggested that she used an alternative email (for retrieving password) when she set up her account but this drew a blank with her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.