Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Has anyone seen what has happened to CF prices?

I just picked up a 4GB Sandisk Extreme II for $179.00 :eek:

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
oh nice. where was this? I've been debating wether or not I should pick up an extra card or two.

(and dude, where is the 'Tar iGary? My reaction was as if I had seen someone without a face)

noTar.png

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
Damn that's cheap, thats coming down to 4Gb microdrive territory, they must have really sorted manufacturing techniques

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
iGary said:

Was this an Ultra II or an Extreme III?

B&H has the Extreme III for $239 and the Ultra II for $179

The other thing to watch for is that the market --especially eBay -- is being flooded with counterfeit SanDisk and Lexar cards. Some of these are likely to make it into the retail supply chain where store purchasing people are looking for a competitive edge and bring in stock without asking too carefully whether it is genuine or not.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iGary said:

Where did you get this? I'd love to pick up one myself....wow.

D

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
CanadaRAM said:
Was this an Ultra II or an Extreme III?

B&H has the Extreme III for $239 and the Ultra II for $179

The other thing to watch for is that the market --especially eBay -- is being flooded with counterfeit SanDisk and Lexar cards. Some of these are likely to make it into the retail supply chain where store purchasing people are looking for a competitive edge and bring in stock without asking too carefully whether it is genuine or not.

Ooops my bad - Ultra II - but according to Rob Galbraith's CF Database there is only .23 MB per second difference.

I got this from B and H - the only people I buy my stuff from.

Link

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Orlando Furioso said:
oh nice. where was this? I've been debating wether or not I should pick up an extra card or two.

(and dude, where is the 'Tar iGary? My reaction was as if I had seen someone without a face)

noTar.png

Giving Steve a rest for a day (working on a new tar).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
iGary said:
Ooops my bad - Ultra II - but according to Rob Galbraith's CF Database there is only .23 MB per second difference.

Link

That's a great deal. I paid about the same amount for a 2 GB version of the card about a year ago.

I wonder how much the mp3 player business has had to do with price drops.

Adorama Camera has the same price for the Ultra II 4 GB and the Extreme III is $219.95.

The price of the Ultra II 8 GB card is $369.95, which is amazing, too.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
iGary said:

Link

i think that's the difference between Ultra II and Extreme II --- NOT Extreme III

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
CanadaRAM said:
Just watch the limits of your device -- there are lots of Cameras (and not all that old, eithet) that won't recognize cards above 1 Gb. Check yer equipment first.

True, all hail Microsoft, since 2 GB and larger cards use FAT32 formatting. :D

revenuee said:
i think that's the difference between Ultra II and Extreme II --- NOT Extreme III

I haven't seen an Extreme II, though the Ultra III was renamed the Extreme III before it was released.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iGary said:

Heard this from a Sandisk rep a couple weeks ago. We are at $199 for the 4gb Sandisk Extreme III - not bad for a local dealer that will try and back you up with Sandisk if there are problems. Meaning that a local dealer MIGHT be willing to return your bad memory as stock item if there are problems and just give you a new CF card.

Add to that the mail-in rebates that Lexar is offering.

iGary said:

Link

We have the Ultra II 2gb for just $99! So even better then! Pays to "shop round"! :D

{Don't say that I didn't ask you to give me a chance. :D }

Shame on you on not giving your "locals" a chance. :D

Seriously, what if you bought from B&H two weeks ago the same memory? Would they price protect you?

CanadaRAM said:
Just watch the limits of your device -- there are lots of Cameras (and not all that old, eithet) that won't recognize cards above 1 Gb. Check yer equipment first.

Less of an issue with cameras that take the CF card than the SD card by this time. But a good point.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
bousozoku said:
True, all hail Microsoft, since 2 GB and larger cards use FAT32 formatting. :D

I haven't seen an Extreme II, though the Ultra III was renamed the Extreme III before it was released.

i have an Extreme II AND Ultra II

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Chip NoVaMac said:
Heard this from a Sandisk rep a couple weeks ago. We are at $199 for the 4gb Sandisk Extreme III - not bad for a local dealer that will try and back you up with Sandisk if there are problems. Meaning that a local dealer MIGHT be willing to return your bad memory as stock item if there are problems and just give you a new CF card.

Add to that the mail-in rebates that Lexar is offering.

I'd love to deal with a local dealer but I certainly can't afford the dealer here. The last time I checked, they wanted a premium price for the cheapest cards they could find--some no name brand 1x instead of Ultra II (50x) or Extreme III (100x) so I don't think I'll be buying from them.

(No, I don't go there for advice and then, shop online the way other people do, either. That annoyed me when I used to sell.)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
bousozoku said:
I'd love to deal with a local dealer but I certainly can't afford the dealer here. The last time I checked, they wanted a premium price for the cheapest cards they could find--some no name brand 1x instead of Ultra II (50x) or Extreme III (100x) so I don't think I'll be buying from them.

(No, I don't go there for advice and then, shop online the way other people do, either. That annoyed me when I used to sell.)

Check now, I can't believe that the DC area is the only ones that saw prices drop today.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Chip NoVaMac said:
Check now, I can't believe that the DC area is the only ones that saw prices drop today.

If the store is selling SanDisk products, they're most likely selling them far above retail, as is Best Buy here.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I hesitate to put all of my eggs into one basket.... That is, I would rather swap out CF cards a few times and get, say, 4 GB in four 1 GB cards or in two 2 GB cards, than to put all 4 GB worth of images on one card and then have something go pflooie. Just my way of working...

Having said that, I wish I'd known when I was in my local camera shop tonight that prices had dropped on CF cards, as I probably would've picked up one or two! Oh well, right now I don't truly need them....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
bousozoku said:
If the store is selling SanDisk products, they're most likely selling them far above retail, as is Best Buy here.

I bet within the week you will see these new prices filter down. Unless Sandisk and Lexar are trying to make the speciality dealers a place that you and Igary and others will look to first from now on.

Clix Pix said:
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I hesitate to put all of my eggs into one basket.... That is, I would rather swap out CF cards a few times and get, say, 4 GB in four 1 GB cards or in two 2 GB cards, than to put all 4 GB worth of images on one card and then have something go pflooie. Just my way of working...

Having said that, I wish I'd known when I was in my local camera shop tonight that prices had dropped on CF cards, as I probably would've picked up one or two! Oh well, right now I don't truly need them....

Sorry about that Clix... knew you had memory already. Yet more the reason to visit soon.

But to the point about larger memory cards. The D200 with RAW and JPEG is about 20.7mb, that gives about 50 on a 1gb card. For many of us that makes the 2gb cards easier to work with (even more so with the 4gb's)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chip NoVaMac said:
I bet within the week you will see these new prices filter down. Unless Sandisk and Lexar are trying to make the speciality dealers a place that you and Igary and others will look to first from now on.

Well, as you know, I'm a big supporter of the idea of using one's local resources first and I'm also very strongly oriented towards using a specialty (ie, in this instance, camera) shop rather than a "big box" store such as Best Buy or one of the stores that is a little more specialized but not really enough (ie, CompUSA, MicroCenter). I simply would not buy a camera from Best Buy, CompUSA or Microcenter because they're not knowledgeable about cameras. I will confess, though, that last summer I did buy a P&S from of all places, Radio Shack. I was in a very rural area and RS was the only game in town unless I drove for a half-hour or more and at that time I really couldn't do that, as I was dealing with my mother's serious illness so that it was necessary to be pretty close to the hospital at all times. I finally bought the P&S because I'd gone down there to NC in a real hurry, an emergency situation, and had not thought to throw a camera in with the few things I packed in a hurry. Well, the stay there was much longer than anticipated and I was going nuts without a camera. I was lucky enough to find a decent enough one, a Casio, at RS. Boy, I missed my D70, though!

All that said and moving beyond it, I also would hesitate to buy camera equipment online because of the possible issues if there is a problem with the camera or accessories. CF cards? Well.... Again, though, when I've realized that I needed a new/larger memory CF card, it's usually been when I've been buying a camera or it's been a situation where I need the thing RIGHT NOW so again a local dealer is the best resource for it.

I wouldn't buy an Apple computer, iPod or accessory at one of those big-box or CompUSA/Microcenter-type places, either; I'd go right to my local Apple store (or if one was not available, Apple.com online or possibly a local authorized Apple reseller that I trusted.

Anyway, about the memory....right now I'm OK with what I've got, but yeah, I know I'll need to be upping it soon, as while I have several 1 GB cards, I've only got one 2 GB card at the moment. I am still primarily shooting jpeg but definitely when I finally shift to Raw then that will up the ante....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Chip NoVaMac said:

I'm all for it, but I doubt we'll see it here unless Target starts carrying such products since they're practically the only retailer that doesn't seem to scam the customers.

I could use another 2 GB card though. I could get rid of the slower 1 GB and 512 MB cards that I bought for an older camera that's gone now.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
bousozoku said:
I'm all for it, but I doubt we'll see it here unless Target starts carrying such products since they're practically the only retailer that doesn't seem to scam the customers.

I could use another 2 GB card though. I could get rid of the slower 1 GB and 512 MB cards that I bought for an older camera that's gone now.

I've got an accumulation of CF cards of varying amounts of memory back from the days when I was still using Coolpixes. I haven't discarded any of them and once in a while it comes in handy to just pop in a "small" card if I only want to do a few shots (testing a new camera, testing a new lens, whatever). This afternoon I popped a 512 into the camera and stepped out on my balcony and did some shots of the seagulls and geese that had gathered on our little lake. For some strange reason the seagulls only appear when it's very cold or when we've had snow. It was fun trying to capture them as they soared around in the air or landed in the lake to commune with the geese.

For occasions when I know I'll be doing a lot of shooting and won't want to be swapping out CF cards all the time, then of course I want the larger 1 GB and 2 GB cards....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Clix Pix said:
I've got an accumulation of CF cards of varying amounts of memory back from the days when I was still using Coolpixes. I haven't discarded any of them and once in a while it comes in handy to just pop in a "small" card if I only want to do a few shots (testing a new camera, testing a new lens, whatever). This afternoon I popped a 512 into the camera and stepped out on my balcony and did some shots of the seagulls and geese that had gathered on our little lake. For some strange reason the seagulls only appear when it's very cold or when we've had snow. It was fun trying to capture them as they soared around in the air or landed in the lake to commune with the geese.

For occasions when I know I'll be doing a lot of shooting and won't want to be swapping out CF cards all the time, then of course I want the larger 1 GB and 2 GB cards....

I don't mind using smaller cards, but I do mind using slower cards. One of my slower cards is a 1x and the other is a 16x but both pale in comparison with my Ultra II 50x card.

Birds are fun to "shoot", aren't they? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.