Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Anyone think we will see a new iMac in 2014? October perhaps? Or will apple delay it until Broadwell?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
In October we will have a new imacs

Gosh, you are persistent with that rumor! As I've said elsewhere, I hope you're right, but I wouldn't bet money on it. I guess we'll see in a few weeks. (I'm talking about something more than a minimal refresh that Apple wouldn't announce at an event, BTW.)

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Anyone think we will see a new iMac in 2014? October perhaps? Or will apple delay it until Broadwell?

Unlikely until next year. They may release new ones in October, but if they do, it will be moderate improvements at best. I can almost guarantee that we will see refreshed notebooks before we see refreshed iMacs, as long as Apple and Intel continue with their typical product cycles. If they are redesigned in October, it wouldn't really make sense, considering Broadwell is being released early-mid 2015.

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
In October we will have a new imacs

I also hope you're right. In fact, I hope you're a member of Apple's iMac-team who's testing the waters incognito. Or something like that. If so, tell them we'd like to see an MX version of the nvidia 980m in the new iMac we hope to see in October. Thanks!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Thunderbolt 2, Geforce 9xx series only 27" iMac will be release this year with pre-orders starting from November because of Intel's desktop chips

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
You got one already, albeit at the modest end of the range. Though sneered at by the average geek, it is probably more than adequate for the needs of the average Joe or Jill.

I wouldn't call that a new imac it was a downgrade from the current models after almost 1 year. I want a juicy exceedingly expensive ridiculously crammed up 27" 5K 64gb tb2 model with a gpu of 8gb of vram. thats what I call a new iMac

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Thunderbolt 2, Geforce 9xx series only 27" iMac will be release this year with pre-orders starting from November because of Intel's desktop chips

TB 2 and Maxwell GPUs make sense, considering both will be ready for the iMacs by next month, but Intel directly said that desktop class Broadwell chips would not be ready until Q1-Q2 of next year. The only way Apple releases a Broadwell iMac this year is if it comes with Haswell, or Intel was lying.

Matt

----------

I wouldn't call that a new imac it was a downgrade from the current models after almost 1 year. I want a juicy exceedingly expensive ridiculously crammed up 27" 5K 64gb tb2 model with a gpu of 8gb of vram. thats what I call a new iMac

You may want to look into a nMP :p.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
You may want to look into a nMP :p.

I would love to buy a mac pro. But the cons are too big.
I want less Cores, because none of the Adobe programs actually take advantage of the multiple cores and not the multi GPU either. Its an awesome machine, but crap for adobe workers....way to costly for a machine that would just sit and idle 80% of its cores.
ANd also, since apple hasnt released a new monitor in ages, I would have to buy a monitor from dell or something ....and that makes me sad.

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

That's just geeky one-upmanship. The new low end iMac is more than enough for many folks.

I'm happy with an early 2009 Mini (base model with an extra 4 GB of RAM). It is good to run Yosemite, and if I replace the original HDD with a SSD it should be good for a good bit longer.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
....none of the Adobe programs actually take advantage of the multiple cores....

Anyone can see for themselves this is incorrect. Just run Activity Monitor or iStat Menus and watch thread count while running Photoshop CC or Premiere Pro. The Adobe software uses dozens of threads. Each runnable thread can occupy a separate core. Frequently every core is under simultaneous heavy load.

As I write this, Photoshop CC on my iMac is using 40 threads, the same number as FCP X.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Noise makers are popping off about an AMD powered iMac in Late October.
We'll see, but likely a top end BTO option with a big price increase.

What will be interesting is scaling on the thing. Unless you want a menu bar that's 1/8 or 3/32 high, it's back to good Ol' 2560 ;)

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Anyone can see for themselves this is incorrect. Just run Activity Monitor or iStat Menus and watch thread count while running Photoshop CC or Premiere Pro. The Adobe software uses dozens of threads. Each runnable thread can occupy a separate core. Frequently every core is under simultaneous heavy load.

As I write this, Photoshop CC on my iMac is using 40 threads, the same number as FCP X.

Well, in that case. How can Final cut pro run 4k movies with 25 filters when after effects cant even play a single mov file without any effects without pre-render to ram ?

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
Well, in that case. How can Final cut pro run 4k movies with 25 filters when after effects cant even play a single mov file without any effects without pre-render to ram ?

I'm not saying AE is a poster child for good multi-threaded programming. I was only responding to your statement that NO Adobe programs actually take advantage of multiple cores.

I use both Premiere Pro CS6 and FCP X extensively. In general FCP is better at exploiting multiple cores, but CS6 is better at exploiting the GPU for effects.

In PP CS6 applying most effects produces a yellow render bar, which usually means GPU implemented (on nVidia) -- it will play at normal speed without software rendering. You need not wait for the render since it's done in hardware.

In FCP X, most common editing and effect operations produce red render bars. While there is GPU activity, these are software implemented to a significant degree -- you can see all available cores active. The flip side is X is very good at background rendering, so you can often proceed without waiting for the render.

But these are relative differences. Both programs harness multiple cores extensively, as does Photoshop CC.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I'm not saying AE is a poster child for good multi-threaded programming. I was only responding to your statement that NO Adobe programs actually take advantage of multiple cores.

I use both Premiere Pro CS6 and FCP X extensively. In general FCP is better at exploiting multiple cores, but CS6 is better at exploiting the GPU for effects.

In PP CS6 applying most effects produces a yellow render bar, which usually means GPU implemented (on nVidia) -- it will play at normal speed without software rendering. You need not wait for the render since it's done in hardware.

In FCP X, most common editing and effect operations produce red render bars. The flip side is X is very good at background rendering, so you can often proceed without waiting for the render.

But these are relative differences. Both programs harness multiple cores extensively, as does Photoshop CC.

I know some effects uses it, but not the program as a whole. which pisses me off a bit and I like to make a statement out of it. AE doesnt use multicore for anything else than rendering. Maybe it uses is for "some" effects but in general it doesnt and Im sure they could speed up the program a LOT if they put some time into optimizing. Photoshop I know they are fixing one and one filter to use multicore, but the base program does not. and therefor buying a Mac Pro would feel like paying a lot of money for little performance increase thanks to adobes lazyness.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
No AMD because Geforce has the best mGPU with 970M and 980M

Apple switches between AMD and nVidia on a yearly basis pretty much. I am personally a nVidia fan, but both manufacturers produce very good cards. If AMD didn't, then AMD wouldn't be in business and able to sell cards at the same price as nVidia. Their CPUs are a different story, but there is no reason not to use AMD GPUs other than fanboyism.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Gosh, you are persistent with that rumor! As I've said elsewhere, I hope you're right, but I wouldn't bet money on it. I guess we'll see in a few weeks. (I'm talking about something more than a minimal refresh that Apple wouldn't announce at an event, BTW.)

The rumors are looking a bit different at the moment. :cool:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The rumors are looking a bit different at the moment. :cool:

who knows.... wait and see... :confused:

There’s been a rumour that Apple might be planning a Retina iMac for quite some time now, today I am able to confirm that report with some disappointment.

A source familiar with Apple’s plans tells me that Apple is indeed planning to launch a Retina iMac at their next press event, however the 27″ Model will be the only model that gets this feature. The source says the new 27″ iMac will use a 5120 x 2880 panel as leaked in the OSX Yosemite code a few months ago. This resolution is double the current resolution of the 27″ iMac which is 2560×1440.

The source says the iMac will keep exactly the same design/dimensions as its predecessors and won’t have USB Type-C port that they told me the 12″ Macbook Air will include, the only difference is the display panel and the processor.

The source says the new iMac’s top processor configuration will be the Intel i7-4790K which has a base clock speed of 4.0GHz, the source also mentioned that Broadwell CPU’s will “likely be added in an update next year” but Apple is sticking with Haswell for now as powerful Broadwell processors are not available to the market.

The source also said the new product will include AMD graphics like the Late 2013 Mac Pro, the current iMacs use Nvidia GPU’s.

The source is almost 100% sure the 21.5″ model will not get a Retina display and will keep at 1920×1080, it will also keep the same design like the new 27″ iMac. The source says that its likely that the 21.5″ model will get a Retina display when powerful Broadwell processors start shipping.

The source says Apple is “incredibly likely” to announce the product at their next press event.

Please follow me on Twitter (@JackGMarch) to keep up to date with my reports.

UPDATE: Minutes after my report was posted 9to5mac also had a version of this story where they shared similar details to mine and confirmed I’d been reliable about Apple products in the past.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Love the term “incredibly likely” as in "kinda sorta for sure in our opinion today only"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.