Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced that it is launching a new limited-time promotion for its Mobile Share Value Plans, offering double the amount of data for new and existing customers with monthly data plans of 15GB or more.

attdoubledata-800x365.jpg
Under the promotion, customers with monthly shared data plans of 15GB will now be receiving 30GB of data, while those on 20GB, 30GB, 40GB, and 50GB plans will see an increase to 40GB, 60GB, 80GB, and 100GB of data, respectively. In order to receive the promotion, new and existing customers must sign up by October 31.

The promotional pricing applies to new and existing customers who buy a phone under the AT&T Next early upgrade program, and also includes those who bring their own smartphone or purchase one at full price. In addition to data, the plans include unlimited talk, text, and international messaging.

The move follows an announcement from Sprint last month that offers 20GB of shared data plus an additional 2GB of data per line for $100 a month to new customers switching from other carriers. Additionally, Sprint is offering up to $350 (via Visa Prepaid Card) to cover early termination fees for users switching from other carriers.

Article Link: AT&T Doubling Data on Mobile Share Value Plans in Limited Time Promotion

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]image[/url]

at&t today announced that it is launching a new limited-time promotion for its mobile share value plans, offering double the amount of data for new and existing customers with monthly data plans of 15gb or more.

under the promotion, customers with monthly shared data plans of 15gb will now be receiving 30gb of data, while those on 20gb, 30gb, 40gb, and 50gb plans will see an increase to 40gb, 60gb, 80gb, and 100gb of data, respectively. In order to receive the promotion, new and existing customers must sign up by october 31.

The promotional pricing applies to new and existing customers who buy a phone under the at&t next early upgrade program, and also includes those who bring their own smartphone or purchase one at full price. In addition to data, the plans include unlimited talk, text, and international messaging.

The move follows an announcement from sprint last month that offers 20gb of shared data plus an additional 2gb of data per line for $100 a month to new customers switching from other carriers. Additionally, sprint is offering up to $350 (via visa prepaid card) to cover early termination fees for users switching from other carriers.

Article link: at&t doubling data on mobile share value plans in limited time promotion
awesome!!!!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
can't find anywhere to upgrade my plan, ATT keeps suggesting a 10GB plan and doesn't give me the option to go higher...

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
can't find anywhere to upgrade my plan, ATT keeps suggesting a 10GB plan and doesn't give me the option to go higher...

The promotional pricing applies to new and existing customers who buy a phone under the AT&T Next early upgrade program, and also includes those who bring their own smartphone or purchase one at full price. In addition to data, the plans include unlimited talk, text, and international messaging

Does that apply to you?

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
AT&T Next, still paying the subsidy tax while paying more than full price of the device. Winner winner chicken dinner.

djadamjay

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014

It shows up in the myAT&T iOS app ---> My plan & services ---> My rate plan --- > Modify my current plan

It automatically lists the 15GB plan as 30GB, and so on upward.

Wish they'd do this on the lower end plans!

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Make it unlimited and I may switch back.

NO! Then guys like you can use as much as you want bogging down the network, which nonetheless affects me. What's your excuse for using so much? "Because I can." Unlimited is GONE. Some of us prefer it that way.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
AT&T Next, still paying the subsidy tax while paying more than full price of the device. Winner winner chicken dinner.

This is simply not true. Next worked this way when it was first introduced and was a terrible deal. But it hasn't been like that for quite some time now. If you actually sit down and crunch the numbers, it actually turns out to be cheaper than a traditional 2 year contract.

Gotta appreciate T-mobile for introducing some actual competition into the U.S. cellular market!

BritinNC

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
NC
Maybe they think this will make up for the fact that a lot of people on the '10GB, 4 lines, unlimited talk and text for $160' plan don't realize that this only lasts until you upgrade your phone. We found this out the hard way (rather than the easy way which have been for one of the AT&T sales people to fess up to it when they sold me on the idea of giving up my unlimited data plan). I 'upgraded' to this plan so I could get smartphones for all my family and then my wife's phone completed her contract a month later. After upgrading her to a 5S we noticed the next month that our $160 plan was now $185, which is when we learned about the 'discount' we received until we upgraded. Basically the plan is $260 per month with a $25 discount per line if you bring your own phone to the party (existing phones being grandfathered in until you upgrade)

We tried to explain to anyone at AT&T who would listen that this was not explained to us otherwise we wouldn't have switched to the plan until after we had upgraded the phone, but that seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I explained that they were going to be in a world of hurt next month when the iPhone 6 upgrades started to see their bills go up even though they thought that they were just on a new contract. In the end we just paid off the contract ($300) and that got us the discount back, but better than paying $600 over the next two years.

I still think a lot of people don't understand this plan. But at least I do now!

mesish

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
$375 for 100GB ?! omg... I'm paying €55/m for unlimited talk/text/internet (yes, uncapped internet) and I thought it's expensive o_O

derekgroves

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Called about an hour ago and switched over to mobile share 30gb (60gb under the promo) happily giving up grandfathered unlimited data on 2 of my lines. My reasoning? Historically, amongst the three smartphone lines on my account (including the two unlimited iPhones), we've never exceeded 11gb's at peak. This gives each of the three of us 20gb each (if split evenly) *and* hotspot functionality on all of our devices that I previously didn't have, *and* I shaved off $20 a month.

So, yes I lost unlimited x 2, but based on my historical usage I'm really not losing anything. The ability to now tether legitimately (and not via jb workarounds) plus the small savings was worth it to me.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
It shows up in the myAT&T iOS app ---> My plan & services ---> My rate plan --- > Modify my current plan

It automatically lists the 15GB plan as 30GB, and so on upward.

Wish they'd do this on the lower end plans!

Thanks, I was online chatting with an ATT rep and they couldnt understand why I could not change it on the website. As soon as I checked the app, it was changed within 2 minutes and it shows 60GB now.:D

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
When you upgraded her to the 5S did you use NEXT or did you upgrade to a 2 year contract on her line?

Maybe they think this will make up for the fact that a lot of people on the '10GB, 4 lines, unlimited talk and text for $160' plan don't realize that this only lasts until you upgrade your phone. We found this out the hard way (rather than the easy way which have been for one of the AT&T sales people to fess up to it when they sold me on the idea of giving up my unlimited data plan). I 'upgraded' to this plan so I could get smartphones for all my family and then my wife's phone completed her contract a month later. After upgrading her to a 5S we noticed the next month that our $160 plan was now $185, which is when we learned about the 'discount' we received until we upgraded. Basically the plan is $260 per month with a $25 discount per line if you bring your own phone to the party (existing phones being grandfathered in until you upgrade)

We tried to explain to anyone at AT&T who would listen that this was not explained to us otherwise we wouldn't have switched to the plan until after we had upgraded the phone, but that seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I explained that they were going to be in a world of hurt next month when the iPhone 6 upgrades started to see their bills go up even though they thought that they were just on a new contract. In the end we just paid off the contract ($300) and that got us the discount back, but better than paying $600 over the next two years.

I still think a lot of people don't understand this plan. But at least I do now!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

It was on the front page of MR for a few days at least and many places online (including AT&T's site) about the new AT&T cheaper plans and in it was detailed the fact that off contract customers would now be getting a discount on their monthly bills since we had no subsidies to pay off. It stand to reason that this would mean if there is a subsidy, the price of the plan would increase to cover said subsidy.

I think the issue is people don't like to read the fine print and in AT&T's case it was just a rather large footnote.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
My contract with AT&T ends in about 3 weeks and I'll be glad to leave them for T-Mobile unless they manage to come out with a new unlimited plan and something far more competitive than what others are offering.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I hope some of this trickles down to the 10GB and under plans soon.

Bandwidth becomes cheaper every day, yet the carriers keep charging the same ol' rates. My theory is they're afraid if they start increasing the data tiers, people will downgrade to save money. Maybe that's why the promo only applies to 15GB and up.

If they had doubled my previous 4GB plan to 8GB, I might not have upgraded to 10GB.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011

No, AT&T fixed that. Monthly Service after buying a phone with Next is the same as BYOD.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Switched to a T-Mobile family plan and pay $40 for unlimited everything with no throttling. Excellent service here in Southern California. As much as I like AT&T, I just can't justify paying twice as much for comparible services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.