Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Is the watch going to drain data via hotspot functionality? Will it tether via Bluetooth like pebble? I just want to know because I will only have 5GB data for tethering and want to know how that will work.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
As far as you cell provider is concered it doesn't matter since data is data. If it ultimatly comes or goes through your provider it will count whether the aWatch uses Hotspot or BT.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Depends on what you're doing with the watch.

Normally, the data flow would be simply between the watch and the phone. So notifications, weather updates, time update, viewing gallery photos, etc ... i.e. info that already exists on the phone... should not use up more data.

Now, if you wanted to display Maps, then of course the phone (or the watch via the phone) will have to use up your data allowance.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
It will have to use bluetooth. Not everyone has data plans that allow for tethering.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Interesting that they didn't include at least 802.11n. B/g seems very outdated, especially now with AC gaining traction.

Because it's not for connecting to a WiFi and your aWatch will not connect to your Mac/PC. It is just a aWatch to iPhone hotspot a lot like AirPlay. Just like AirPlay the aWatch/iPhone will be using BT and WiFi to communicate to each other but it will be invisible to you how it's working.

It looks like you will have an App on your iPhone that will be the aWatch App/control/setting/.... interface to the aWatch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.