Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I was a long time IOS user before I got my nexus 5. I used a Samsung for a few months because my 3gs was broken. So now that I've moved on from the 4s,I've got much more space on my phone that I don't need to stream music all the time. Which music player do you recommend and why?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I was a long time IOS user before I got my nexus 5. I used a Samsung for a few months because my 3gs was broken. So now that I've moved on from the 4s,I've got much more space on my phone that I don't need to stream music all the time. Which music player do you recommend and why?

I use player pro. I think more because of the layout. It's very clean and you can customise the look and feel of it. It's also very functional and I like the fact that you can edit the art work on the device with any picture you want within the app itself. You can also edit song tags directly in that app. There is a trial version you can try out for free before buying the paid version.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
For me I use either play music or Poweramp.

Poweramp is ultra powerful with great eq

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I use Google Play Music. To minimise streaming I just mark the albums and playlists I'm currently interested in for offline playback.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
For me I use either play music or Poweramp.

Poweramp is ultra powerful with great eq

^^ this. I have 2-3 different players and Poweramp with the EQ settings is by far the best in terms of sound quality. I have all sorts of presets created to maximize sound quality and ease of use from all the various locations/speakers I use.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Unless you need something very specific (equalizer, etc.) google play music looks like the best option. It has the design that you would expect from modern Android apps and works very well.

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
When I had an Android phone I used Poweramp as well. Good support for codecs including ALAC (!) and a really pretty customisable home screen widget as well.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
I love winamp. Although after they got bought out by Radionomy, it's hidden in official google play store. But you can find the apk file on google.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
I've tried a whole bunch of players and the undisputed best 2 are Poweramp and Neutron.

Neutron is a bit cluttered and not really user friendly (because it has so many settings and options) but by far, the best sound quality.

I enjoy Poweramp the most because it's user-friendly and the sound quality/eq is only second to Neutron.

Try both and see which you like.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I use rocketplayer

Believe it is one of the few that can play local music to chromecast, I know poweramp/ google play music doesn't support that (though if I would just upload my tunes to google play music already ccast wouldn't be an issue.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.