Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willwillx

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Didn't realize you get screwed by doing it OTA... I won't now in the future. But does this screw me? Or nothing major since it was a smaller release? HOPING!!!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Because there isn't a JB out yet, it's hard to say. Likely, you will want to have performed a full upgrade or restore through iTunes. However, you can just DFU restore to whichever version of iOS is out at that time. A JB is almost never released for a firmware not currently being signed at that time.

Slumpey

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Charlotte
Didn't realize you get screwed by doing it OTA... I won't now in the future. But does this screw me? Or nothing major since it was a smaller release? HOPING!!!

Not sure why you posted this in the jailbreak section as there isn't a jailbreak for IOS 8.0 yet.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No, the jailbreak is going to take at least another three months. iOS 8 has to mature a bit first, and the new iPads have to be in people's hands. Don't worry too much about it and continue to update your device.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
No, the jailbreak is going to take at least another three months. iOS 8 has to mature a bit first, and the new iPads have to be in people's hands. Don't worry too much about it and continue to update your device.

Not necessarily 3 months, unless you know something we all don't. It varies from year to year, but I do agree that updating normally is fine.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Its no big deal, you can always restore your phone via itunes for the "restore upgrade" in a sense. Because no JB is out yet, it cannot be clarified one way or another. But in the past, youd have to upgrade via iTunes for the JB to work properly. Either way, its not like youre doomed, even if you do an OTA upgrade, you can always do a restore via iTunes to resolve this if required by the JB.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I think 8.0.2 is OK, but I would not upgrade if there were a 8.1 available.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its no big deal, you can always restore your phone via itunes for the "restore upgrade" in a sense. Because no JB is out yet, it cannot be clarified one way or another. But in the past, youd have to upgrade via iTunes for the JB to work properly. Either way, its not like youre doomed, even if you do an OTA upgrade, you can always do a restore via iTunes to resolve this if required by the JB.

Exactly.
Once there is a JB you can just restore via itunes and then JB it.

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
I honestly did not know that it was better to update through itunes for a jailbreak. I updated my 5s OTA to 7.1.2 then jailbroke using pangu a few weeks ago and everything has been fine. In the future I will never update OTA again.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I honestly did not know that it was better to update through itunes for a jailbreak. I updated my 5s OTA to 7.1.2 then jailbroke using pangu a few weeks ago and everything has been fine. In the future I will never update OTA again.

This was only a problem with a prior Jailbreak. The last jailbreak, Pangu, worked fine with OTA updated devices (I jailbroke 5 devices that had been OTA updated, all working well). This misinformation keeps being spread. When the iOS8 jailbreak is finally released, we will then know if it is compatible with OTA updated devices, and if it's not, all you have to do is reinstall the OS with iTunes.

Bottomline, this really is a nonissue, and we shouldn't be fretting over it at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.