Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Why does the iMac has a Chin? Its so thin nowadays, isnt it possible for watherver eletronics there to be installed in the back?

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Vents, speakers, and logo are all right there. Well, the speakers aren't located directly there, but the sound is pushed out through the bottom.

I think it'd be more than feasible to make it look similar to the thunderbolt display, where it's a fraction of the size and isn't aluminum but glass across the entire front. But then it wouldn't be as obvious as to which of their products you're using. Apple is all about being iconic after all.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Never. It's iconic and makes it instantly recognizable from every other monitor.

Also, where would the speakers and vent go? It isn't thick enough to have those right behind the display so they need to be below.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
The chin is distinctive and certainly associated with iMacs.

If it were my design choice, however, I'd get rid of it and use a deeper enclosure to house the items behind the chin. Allow room for larger speaker/cooling openings at bottom/sides. And also user access for RAM and other service needs.

Probably why I don't work at Apple ;>)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.