Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I've had a launch day ipad that I replaced right away for a light bleed issue. But other then that my ipad 2 is still serving me well. I felt no need to upgrade to the latest models. I'm sure ios8 will be the last upgrade option for iPad 2 users.. I will be looking in 2015 to see if they have anything that will catch my eye. I really like Touch ID and the lighting connector, on my 6 plus, that would be a great addition to my next ipad. Until then my iPad 2 is still pushing along. Who else's ipad 2s are still kicking?

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
We have a 1,2 and 3 all going strong here still. Only upgraded the 3 to ios8 though.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I have a 2 on iOS 8.0.2 and it runs fine. It's starting to show its age with a little lag but other than that it's still in great shape.

Yeah the lag is definitely shows. I wish Apple would stop half assing on the ram

yukyuklee

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah the lag is definitely shows. I wish Apple would stop half assing on the ram

Yeah I purchased it for them at launch. I bought a iPad mini 1st gen used it for a year and purchased the mini 2nd gen when bestbuy was having a sale @ 324.99 I like the small form factor best purchased I made in a long time lol.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Who else's ipad 2s are still kicking?

I have a 2 on iOS 8.0.2 and it runs fine. It's starting to show its age with a little lag but other than that it's still in great shape.

I've an iPad 2 of my own and another I purchased for my mother. Both are running 8.0.2 just fine, with a bit of the aforementioned lag. Seems worth the upgrade.

Turning on Reduce Motion (in Accessibility), seems like it may be helping things a bit as well.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
This thread proves why there is a decline in iPad business. Nothing wrong with it, just that people tend to upgrade iPads less often than iPhones.

I'm still running my iPad Mini 1st gen and don't see an update till maybe 4th gen :D

michikade

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in Texas
This thread proves why there is a decline in iPad business. Nothing wrong with it, just that people tend to upgrade iPads less often than iPhones.

I'm still running my iPad Mini 1st gen and don't see an update till maybe 4th gen :D

Well, technically speaking my iPad is only about 2 1/2 years old right now - I bought it after I decided that the new coke of iPads wasn't as good as the coke Classic of iPads, hahahahaha.

So if it was a phone I would be just out of contract on it by a little bit.

If I upgrade in the next 6 months it will be after the next gen iPads come out but I would probably get a current gen iPad Air.

BlueSpruce

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
NY
Ours is still going. Bought it nearly three years ago. Running two first gen. Minis as well. Haven't updated any of them to iOS 8.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Ah I sold my July 2011 iPad 2 this August for $270. Going to put that towards iPad Air 2. It served me well though. I think it's the longest an iPad has survived in terms of updates (4.3/5, 6, 7, and 8...damn).

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I wanted to keep iPad 2 this year but AT&T convinced me to upgrade to iPad Air and coming from 16GB to 32GB was nice. I really miss iPad 2. iPad 1 was good also but no camera I wanted for FaceTime. iPad 1 was bit heavy than iPad 2 but Air is so light than both. :apple:

liquorice

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Surrey
What do do on your ipad 2 ?
Mine suffers lag and plenty of reboots and still on 7.1.2 , just waiting for new ipad release !

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Yep. We have two of them in the household and they continue to work well, even with the latest OS on them. Great tablets.

jqworle

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
UK
Still got my ipad2 running 7.1.2, tried 8.0 but the lag drove me potty so downgraded within a day.Only now starting to get the odd issue with it freezing whilst on wifi which is cured by just turning wifi off and on again.

Malizzar

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
I upgraded my iPad2 to iOS 8 but did not like the lag so dropped it back down to iOS 7. Like many I have not had a reason to upgrade.

I bought the 64gb when it launched and it has served me well. I figure once things stop working as well on iOS 7 I will look at upgrading.

Police Wolf

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
Atlanta, GA
My iPad 2 is still going strong as well. I actually got my mine from a raffle my senior year in high school. Helped me out in college and still going strong after graduating. I have noticed it lags a little with iOS 8 but nothing too bad.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I love my iPad 2 and it's a testament to Apple that it still works so well.

I'll be in line for the iPad Air 2, though. :)

Ti Rider

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
My iPad 2 is still going strong after two years of continuous daily use. It also received every update......until iOS 8. I updated the afternoon iOS 8 was released. For two days I struggled with -

Open Safari to a web page, get up, pour a up coffee, sit back down, and a short few minutes later that the page pops up. Read a story that required going to next page? Another cup of coffee and boredom. It was like Apple gave me a time machine to go back to when I first got the internet in the 90's. Same experience - slow.

Click on an app I just used before updating......screen goes black, then it goes back to the home screen. Hit it again, stays on the black screen a little longer, then goes to home screen. A few work but most either don't or are sssllllloooowww.

Turn the iPad on after removing it from the charger at 100%, try to load a few websites, suddenly the battery shows 79%. Give up on the net and watch a movie....halfway through it register 39%. Right before the end of the movie the "Less than 10%" remaining pops up. As the credits roll the iPad shuts down. This never happened with iOS 7.

So I roll back to 7.1.2 which instantly returns it's speed and stability. I'm still working on adjusting stuff to improve battery life. Lesson learned - my 2 has had it's last update and 7.1.2 will be it.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Still on the 2 here. 29 percent of iPad users are still on the 2!!! Its a lot! Maybe iOS 9 will run on the 2 as leaving out iPad 2 users would mean they couldn't have the same fast adoption rates of iOS 9.

I had mine on iOS 8 but I needed iPhoto so I downgraded. Was much better on a clean install than on OTA.

If anyone is interested in a speed comparison between a clean install of 7.1.2 and 8.0 - I did one here:

http://www.mactalk.com.au/content/atrticle-ipad-2-ipad-just-won-t-die-3537/

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

Actually - the iPad 2 has had such a long run because Apple has half-assed on RAM. When they eventually increase available RAM in a future iPad; I would expect iOS/ app performance to drop off dramatically for iPad 2/3/4 users like iPad 1 users found out after only a couple of years.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have 2 iPad 2's that would both still be going strong except that one of them is now on iOS8 (8.02) and now it is virtually worthless. Slow, crashes, difficulty installing apps, etc. Apple's own message boards are full of irate customers still on iPad 2 now on iOS8. So if you have an iPad 2 and are thinking about upgrading to iOS8 then DON'T DO IT!!!

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
My launch-day 2 is still going great guns. Still on IOS7 and I probably won't update it. Can't see the need. Its main uses are light browsing, games, and we have a bunch of movies on it for my son for the car/planes.

No need to replace it (64Gb so plenty of storage still) until it breaks.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have an Apple refurb I bought over 2 years ago and it's still going strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.