Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2strokedude

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I'm thinking about trading it in for a 4.7 iPhone 6. I have big hands, thats not the issue. My issue is just the general size of it in my pocket. I use it as an iPod, so when I'm hiking, biking working out etc... I'm just having a hard time getting use to it.
What do you all think, am I alone or total nuts?
I need to make a decision before this friday. 14 day return policy.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Naw, you'd only be crazy if you let forum members here (and their own preferences) sway your decision ;)

In all seriousness though, simply go with the one that is most comfortable for you. Would you want to drive around an SUV for years if a Sedan was better for your situation?

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Its a big phone and there have to be tradeoffs when using it.

If you're unhappy with the tradeoffs then get the 6 which is just as good a phone bar OIS and bigger battery.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Are you "nuts"? No. Are you likely just suffering some anxiety because the window for returning your phone is closing in and you're not 100% used to your phone? I would say that's a pretty good likelihood.

Are you liking the phone? Is it suiting your needs? These are the questions that only you can answer.

If you looked around the forum you'd see that there are and have been several threads on this issue with varying responses. Some people were glad to get the smaller phone, some people regretted swapping.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I'm thinking about trading it in for a 4.7 iPhone 6. I have big hands, thats not the issue. My issue is just the general size of it in my pocket. I use it as an iPod, so when I'm hiking, biking working out etc... I'm just having a hard time getting use to it.

Nope your not nuts. Go with the device that will work for you.

muledogus

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
I'm 6 hours into owning my 6+ and every time I pick up my 5s now I think "wow, it's cool how little and compact this is." However, I know it's a big change that I'll have to get used to and I'll find qualities of having a larger phone that I also enjoy, so I'm going to give it a while before I make any decisions on changing.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Not at all mate.

Its a lot of money, and you have to really enjoy using it, and it should fit your life style.

I love mine, though going through the same process of deciding.

caprica21

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
No

No you are not! You are not the only one.
I cancelled my 6+ pre-order and got 6 next day from Apple Store.

jod1921

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Yes everything is bigger on the plus. Screen, antenna and battery are just a few. The call quality is phenomenal. I used to have to call my father on his land line because the call quality was so bad on his iPhone 5. The 6 plus sounds like he's on the land line. He lives in the middle of nowhere. 2 1/8 hours lte usage including 1/2 streaming Netflix, 13 1/2 standby. 85 % battery. Wow

Last edited:

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I have a plus that I really love and I wouldn't give it up for nothing. My wife also had the plus but she had doubts about the size and I urged her to switch it out. She listened and got the 6 and is much happier now. The plus might not be for you.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

Given the fact that you've used it long enough to make a reasoned decision? Not nuts at all. Totally rational and likely the right choice for you.

dago5252

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Are you considering getting the watch? Assuming the watch will work without the phone on your hip. I am in the same boat but have not purchased anything yet. I jog, but the plus would be awesome for business. My plan is to get the plus and then the watch to jog with so I can keep track of my runs.

Ramrod82

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Get what's best for you! My best advice coming coming back in the day to the 4S to original Note and almost returning it within a two days is give it a week or so to get used to the size....if you still feel the 4.7 is for you return stat!! Don't listen to people on here saying you will regret it!! You are the living with the phone!

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I pre-ordered the 6+ on 9/12 and it arrives in 3 days, but I've been using a 6 since day one. I love the 6, and I'm also having second thoughts about whether to keep the 6+ when it arrives. But I don't think the 6 is big enough for most of my web browsing still.

So, I'm going to play with it and see how it feels to use it for a few days before I make the final decision. Maybe I'll keep it and use it like an iPad mini, and pass my iPad mini retina down to my son. I still have an iPad Air for when I need something really big.

So, no you aren't crazy.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009

Yes

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006

I just ordered the 4.7" 6 (will arrive tomorrow), but was about to switch to the Plus before I learned that my order shipped. Like you, I'm not sure what to do because of concern about the use of the Plus while working out.

What do the Plus users on MR do in order to use the phone for music, etc. while running/working out?

2strokedude

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Well I think I'm going to stay big. If I went down to a 4.7" it would probably be like going from a 60" flat screen to a 48".
I'll get use to it. I already love it. I Appreciate the feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.