Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

Original poster
I know so many die-hard PC users that hate quicktime. Today my science teacher showed a video using Windows Media Player (iBook connected to LCD projector). When he pressed play there was audio but no video. When the video came on and he tried to resize the window, the video disappeared again. One of my friends and this annoyingly stupid kid were making about how bad Quicktime was. 3 min later I looked at the menu bar thing and it said Windows Media Player. I was like "hahah loosers that not Quicktime, thats windows media player". Then the stupid annoying kid says in his squirly annoying voice "Windows media player on a mac is sooooo much different on a PC". I replied "Yea, on a Mac it actually starts up without freezing". So we ent on and on fighting, the teacher is a mac person so he was on my side. They didn't have a valid point as to why QT is soo bad, they just said it was annoying.

Sorry for that gaint block of text, I know it can be hard to read. Even before I liked macs I hated windows media player. I mean really, you put in a CD and you open up WMA, I where do I go to see the CD, *looks around for ever*, now playing? why is it there.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Even though I like QT on a Mac, I find it annoying on a PC because of the QT Pro ad that pops up. Plus the fact its usually not pre-installed and I am always having to walk my friends/family through the steps to install just so they can see videos I post on my website and stuff I send them.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I always hated Windows Media Player, but at least it plays in full screen without having to pay an extra $30 for a Pro version! And QT's continual pestering to get you to upgrade to QTPro are extremely annoying. Other than that, I like QT, but Apple has completely ruined its image in the eye of a lot of people with these 2 glaring drawbacks. And to make it worse, Apple wants you to pay another $30 every time they upgrade the free player (like from 6.x to 7.x) or you lose all of your "Pro" features. Not for me, thank you.

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Well one reason I heard for the lament of quicktime, was that once you install it it makes itself the default player for videos...

I am sure you all see the fault in this.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
CompUser said:
I replied "Yea, on a Mac it actually starts up without freezing".
I love arguing with windows lovers about how mac is better, its so fun.

Anyway, I like quicktime for its simplicity and I find streaming content through quicktime to be better than WMP. The annoying screens bug me sometimes but i like it. WMP is neutral to me, but I really hate real media player its almost never works right and just bugs me.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Sogo said:
Well one reason I heard for the lament of quicktime, was that once you install it it makes itself the default player for videos...
Only some. And you can change it when you are installing it (or after). But so does WMP. It actually tries to default to play everything when you install it. Sneaky, but also easy to change. Kinda.

You can make the popup for QT Pro go away by changing the date to somewhere in the future, open up QT, click on the popup, then change the date back. Used to popup every time you'd start QT. I use QT Pro anyway, so I never notice. It's so much better for web stuff though. I always seem to have problems with WMP and Real player. QT embedded always seems to work ok, and it's easier to scrub and save locally. If you don't like WMP for Macs, use the Flip4Mac plugin. It's free now.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Sogo said:
It asks you if you want to do that doesn't it? And so does almost every other media player on the planet.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
danny_w said:
But not WMP or VLC.
Yes, VLC is nice. It shows that it's not the product of some profit centered company.

WMP starts out being the default for everything (on Windows). It doesn't have to ask.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
i really didnt like QT when i was on windows ....... i dont know, it just never played anything really, i used divx

but i use it all the time now, because it communicates with ilife and everything, and try to avoid using WMP and VLC as much as i can......its just simple, does its job, and is so apple......the things ive come to appreciate in my older age

just wish itd come with more codecs to play a wider range of vid....because the avg user has no idea what a codec is

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
CompUser said:
They didn't have a valid point as to why QT is soo bad, they just said it was annoying.

Many, many versions of Quicktime for Windows were real dogs and had a tendency to cause significant issues. The versions released over the past 2 years or so have been much better, but can still be truely horrible on occassion.

Quicktime for OS 9 and for OS X has always been great. But most Windows users have only experienced Quicktime under Windows.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
mrichmon said:
Many, many versions of Quicktime for Windows were real dogs and had a tendency to cause significant issues. The versions released over the past 2 years or so have been much better, but can still be truely horrible on occassion.

Quicktime for OS 9 and for OS X has always been great. But most Windows users have only experienced Quicktime under Windows.
Although quicktime may have problems on Windows, so does Windows Media Player... I'm starting to think that it may be Windows that's the problem.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Also QT looks a little out of place in the kindergarten Win XP look and also in the dull, grey Win 2000 look.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
derajfast said:
just wish itd come with more codecs to play a wider range of vid....because the avg user has no idea what a codec is

I'd rather see a reduction in the number of codecs out there. Do we really need so many?

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
EricNau said:
Although quicktime may have problems on Windows, so does Windows Media Player... I'm starting to think that it may be Windows that's the problem.

This is true, but my point was that even in comparison to WMP on Windows, QT on Windows was a dog.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
To answer your question...

Many, many Windows users believe that anything made by Apple is somehow "weird" and "alien" to them. Honestly, they do! For whatever reason, they think that for anything to be "compatible" it has to have the MS logo on it. I've given up arguing with them about it; as far as I'm concerned, people who won't consider Apple -- deserve MicroSoft.

And on a related note -- I've been on the receiving end of dozens of different PowerPoint presentations over the years. And I have yet to see EVEN ONE that goes off without a hitch, or contributes in any meaningful way to the topic at hand. Combine PowerPoint with a video projector and you're doomed from the start. I've seen literally hours wasted trying to get a 20-minute PowerPoint up and running through a projector.

"...and the end of our civilization will be led by the machines."

sPAULj

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2004
Actually, as a windows convert myself, my impression on quicktime on windows was always bad. It was constantly crashing and was always slow at start up and shut down. It's streaming was also really bad as even with my broadband connection, I couldn't stream a quicktime video without it stuttering horribly. Yes, this has gotten better in recent years but it's still too bad for me to think it's a great piece of software.

I was afraid it would be just as bad on the mac, but that really hasn't been the case. Streaming is amazing, it's never crashed and it's (fairly) responsive when starting up and closing. The difference is completely different from my experience on the PC, and I can understand why Windows users don't like it.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
I prefer QT to WMP, but neither keep me excited for very long.

One thing I have notices with WMP in Safari, is when I enter apage with streaming video, I get the little lego brick icon, and the warning that the content cannot be opened, but when I press ok, it opens WMP and plays anyway, so it's not too much of a mare.

As I say, I find it tricky to get too excited about either.

Give me a nice piece of chhese anyday. Then you'll see me animated!

a sliver of gorgonzola across a poached pear, a wedge of mature cheddar with a dollop of onion marmalade, gouda, melting on crusty bread.

Now there's something worth discussion!!!!

mac.head.high

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2005
Los Angeles
mikebatho said:
One thing I have notices with WMP in Safari, is when I enter apage with streaming video, I get the little lego brick icon, and the warning that the content cannot be opened, but when I press ok, it opens WMP and plays anyway, so it's not too much of a mare.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with that WMP issue. It's always confused me, but since it worked I never really thought to worry about it.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
why apple makes QT for Windows so poorly is beyond me. It's slow, instable, not full screen. If it would work perfectly like it does on the mac it would be the best marketing tool for Apple.

I actually think that WMP for the mac isn't that bad at all. It's simple and does the job.

Real Player on the other hand: I simply do not watch or listen to any content that requires Real player on my mac or PC. I don't install it. I wish this company would simply disappear, go bankrupt.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
windows media player for mac os x is the WORST written app for the mac.. while itunes is the BEST app ever written for pc's as steve once said.. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.