Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I wanted a Thunderbolt dock for two drives with support from OS defined RAID. I purchased a Rocketstor RS5212 on ebay for $185 shipping included. I put two Seagate 6TB ST60000DX000 (7200rpm, 128mb cache) in and defined them as RAID 1 mirrored.

So far, zero problems.

The company's materials and some of the resellers info will repeat the old story that the units can handle up to 4TB drives. That is left over from a couple of years ago when 4TB drives where leading edge. Now you can get 6TB drives from several vendors. The dock approach does let heat dissipate into the atmosphere and not be contained inside an enclosure. I just wish this dock had two Thunderbolt ports.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_RS5212-overview.htm

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Interesting. I wonder if you could replace the drives in the Thunderbolt LaCie 2-Big with these 6GB drives?

Dunno, but the 5-big supports 6TB drives nicely, so does the OWC Thunderbay. I think its more of an issue with USB3 enclosures. I've had a couple recent USB3 docks/enclosures that would not support over 4TB, put a 5 or 6TB drive in and you would just get an error. Sometimes vendors don't advertise greater than 4TB because they haven't tested them.

Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Interesting. I wonder if you could replace the drives in the Thunderbolt LaCie 2-Big with these 6GB drives?

Should be OK. I put the 6TB drives in a Lacie 2Big that originally came with 3TB drives. No problem...and much cheaper that 6TB drives from LaCie. ;)

mawyatt1

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
Clearwater, Fl
Should be OK. I put the 6TB drives in a Lacie 2Big that originally came with 3TB drives. No problem...and much cheaper that 6TB drives from LaCie. ;)

Thanks that sounds encouraging!! I just read about the Seagate new 4TB Hybrid SSHD drive that has a small 8GB "cache" and wonder how this would work in the LaCie.

I have a couple 4TB LaCie 2Big drives (two 2TB drives) that were refurbished and am thinking of upgrading one with larger capacity/faster hard drives like the new 6TB or the 4TB Hybrid SSHD drives. Or just getting the new 6TB d2 with the SSD, but this cost much more than the upgrade path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.