Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a touchscreen iMac?

• Yess!!!! :D

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No Never!!!! D:

Votes: 48 84.2%
  • I don't know/care

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Do you think it would be cool if the iMac had a touchscreen?
Why doesn't Apple make any touchscreen desktops?
-------------------------------
It is not meant to be your only input source, you just use it with a keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
My arms would fall off after an hour of holding them up to a touchscreen.
And imagine how dirty it would get and how fast,
OSx is designed for keyboard/mouse, not touch.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
1.) No.

b.) Uh, cause Apple isn't spelled M i c r o s o f t

What's wrong with the touch-screen desktops? I saw an HP one and it was nice

Is it not mainstream or something? (whatever that means)

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I don't know why, but it seems like everyone on this forum can only picture touchscreens as replacing keyboards and mice and using the touch screen the entire time they are at the computer. I love them as a supplemental input method. It's so natural in some situations especially when I am working with someone else at one computer. And with how bright the screens are I never see fingerprints until they are off. People don't see them on their ipads or iphones either. I don't get the nay saying.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I would buy it in a heartbeat if it had the features of the 24" Wacom tablet and retina display. Definitely will make it easier for artists!

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I don't know why, but it seems like everyone on this forum can only picture touchscreens as replacing keyboards and mice and using the touch screen the entire time they are at the computer. I love them as a supplemental input method. It's so natural in some situations especially when I am working with someone else at one computer. And with how bright the screens are I never see fingerprints until they are off. People don't see them on their ipads or iphones either. I don't get the nay saying.

Although you could use the iMac with only a touch screen, it would not be meant to be your only input method.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
What's wrong with the touch-screen desktops?

Go ahead and spend your entire work day with your arm or arms extended horizontally, manipulating your desktop work flow using your hands and the touch-screen interface, no mouse, no keyboard, just touching and manipulating your work flow, typing on the touch-screen, clicking on the touch-screen, doing it all on the vertical screen surface.

I will await your verdict . . . . . but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Go ahead and spend your entire work day with your arm or arms extended horizontally, manipulating your desktop work flow using your hands and the touch-screen interface, no mouse, no keyboard, just touching and manipulating your work flow on the vertical screen surface.

But YOU DO have a mouse and keyboard
Just like your favorite iMac
With a touch screen
And NOTHING less

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Uh, . . . . . I've got nuthin.

. . . . . just can't fix or argue/discuss with someone so wrong that they might as well be on a different planet.

what's wrong with it? :(
I've seen HP touchscreen all-in-ones with the keyboard and mouse at best buy and they were nice. You can draw or write on your screen.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
You have an iMac
That also has a touchscreen

This is categorically wrong, incorrect, untrue, a complete misrepresentation of reality, a lie.

The Apple iMac, no matter the iteration or year of manufacture, is not touch-screen interface.

This is an Internet forum, so I have to guess that English is not your first language.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
It would be cool to have a touchscreen on there. It doesnt have to be the only input as a keyboard and mouse can still be used, but a touchscreen available for non-intensive tasks.

As for the 'not optimized for touch', clearly if they released an iMac with a touchscreen, it would be optimized for touch... Ive used splashtop to remote into my macs from the ipad before, and it was very fluid, and very usable. I wish an Apple made OSX tablet is in the pipeline for the future

----------
Go ahead and spend your entire work day with your arm or arms extended horizontally, manipulating your desktop work flow using your hands and the touch-screen interface, no mouse, no keyboard, just touching and manipulating your work flow, typing on the touch-screen, clicking on the touch-screen, doing it all on the vertical screen surface.

Uh, . . . . . I've got nuthin.

. . . . . just can't fix or argue/discuss with someone so wrong that they might as well be on a different planet.

/sheeze, I need to get away from the Internet and people for a while.

You're making the arguments your arms would get tired using only the touchscreen all day. He's saying a touchscreen would be and ADDITIONAL feature to the iMac, youd still use the keyboard and mouse like always, but if you touched the screen, that would also work. Its a macrumors website, he is talking about a concept. Dont need to be so rude about it :|

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I work with touchscreens at my place of business and would never wish them upon anyone. They are horrible to use, especially if you have to use them for lengthy periods of time. Plus constantly having to clean the screen of fingerprints. I try to use the keyboard and mouse as much as I can, but for the most part am forced to use the screen for over 50% of what I do with the screens. It is a unique situation for me but horrible to work with.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
Okay, sorry.

My bad.

I now understand the OP was stating a hypothetical when he represented the iMac as having a touch-screen.

I am continually cleaning my iPad and iPhone screens with a microfiber cloth.

I also have zero tolerance for dirt, smudges, or surface debris on my iMac.

Touch-screen desktops are a horrid concept.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
what's wrong with it? :(
I've seen HP touchscreen all-in-ones with the keyboard and mouse at best buy and they were nice. You can draw or write on your screen.

Realistically how often would you do that? Sure it's neat as a novelty but would you do this often?

Besides, I hate having anyone put their booger hook on my MBP screen in the first place. I certainly don't want to touch it myself either. I hate having greasy fingerprints and smear marks on my screen.

I had a Dell convertable Windows 8 machine with a touch screen for a while (previous job). It was neat at first because it was something different, but after a day or two I never used the touch functions again.

So I am firmly in the camp of not wanting a touch screen laptop or desktop. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.