Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joonyaboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
FL
What if next year Apple released an iPhone Classic in the form factor of the original 2G iPhone, with the guts of an iphone 6, OIS, and a 4 inch screen. But because of the extra space, the battery would be double or even triple the capacity.

It would satisfy those who want extended battery, a more sturdy phone, a smaller screen but still have all the modern advancements. It wouldn't need to be obsessed with thinness. And each year it gets upgraded internals and bigger battery but the form factor never changes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Reactions: g33k

iStrat

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
New York
I actually like this idea a lot. I doubt Apple would ever do it though. If it was based on the original iPhone, it would be a 3.5" screen, not 4".

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Not a dreadful idea, actually quite a nice one, especially for the 4" market. I can't see it happening though as it almost seems like a sort of tacky marketing scheme which Apple aren't really about. This isn't like the iPod Classic that never really left until it did for good, this is reviving old design, not very "innovative".

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I really think the 6/S/Plus design was what Apple was really going for when they designed the original iPhone... they just had engineering limitations to deal with, and they still had a lot to learn about designing and engineering phones.

That said, I liked the original iPhone design when it came out, but things have gotten better since then. I wouldn't want to go back, even with new internals.

Reactions: Skika

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
It's not a bad idea but I have moved on from there, just got a 6s+ and really like it. I wouldn't buy a "Powerbook Classic" or a "Newton Classic" either. :D

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
While I would be delighted to go back to a 4 inch phone I'd rather not go back to a classic design. I'd much prefer something along the lines of a 5s as far as style and thickness. My perfect phone would be that size and thickness with less bezel on the top and bottom. I could see the Classic being a special edition though.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
In a heartbeat! Apple could change the side buttons though (to be a bit more stable).

Can you imagine iOS1 running with the current hardware?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I'd rather call it iPhone retro. Although the best design to go back is the hybrid of 4/5 series brick design. I'm talking about chamfered edge glass brick.

Reactions: Ladybug
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.