Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ribpeal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I currently own a Nano 5. I want to upgrade to a new Nano, and I am waiting for a Nano 8 to come out. However, with Apple killing off the iPod Classic, I'm worried that the next one to go is the Nano. Should I buy a Nano 7 now, or wait for an 8th Generation?

Last edited:

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I believe they will at least release one further generation. But I'm not Tim Cook, so who knows ...

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Obviously, none of us know for certain if Apple will kill off the iPod nano in the near future. I can definitely see Apple going down to 2 iPods: iPod Touch & iPod Shuffle. There is always a slim chance that Apple will address the iPod in the October 2014 keynote, but it is highly unlikely. If you are looking to update, now is a good time. It is extremely unlikely we will see them planning any updates or discontinuations of the iPod nano until at least next September.
If you would rather wait, buy the iPod nano a few days before next year's September keynote, you have 14 days to return, so if they update, just exchange for the newer gen iPod, if they discontinue it, at least you will have secured one of the last ones.

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Hopefully they will keep the Nano around for some time, and maybe update it too. I can't see them killing off the only 2 devices that are any good for the gym and for runners (iPod shuffle is still awesome for this). But then again, what do I know?:D

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Nobody can say for certain right now, but what I'd do is wait until October for the iPad event; if nothing is announced then, just get the 7th gen.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
They recently updated the manual for the Nano. So that's a sure sign that it's not getting a refresh unless they finally add bigger capacities. It's going to get a firmware update though (I'm only guessing this because they made a typo and say that iTunes 12 is now needed).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I currently own a Nano 5. I want to upgrade to a new Nano, and I am waiting for a Nano 8 to come out. However, with Apple killing off the iPod Classic, I'm worried that the next one to go is the Nano. Should I buy a Nano 7 now, or wait for an 8th Generation?

Just wait for the announcement. If a new nano is announced, line up! If not, just get a 7th gen before the stocks runout.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I would buy the 7 a day or two before and then exchange it if an 8 comes out. I'd hate for the nano to be discontinued...I don't expect it to really be updated but I don't want it gone forever. And I'd also hate to see the iPod shuffle outlive the nano.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think that what Apple did with the Classic is a heads-up.... not that they will discontinue the Nano, but that if they did it will be quiet and quick.

I agree with others who suggested buying one a day or two before the keynote. Keep it unopened. If they announce a new one that you like, return the one you just bought. If they discontinue it, then you're set.

The one thing about the Nano historically, is that the design has changed dramatically over the generations. I have a 3rd gen "fatty" stored away in a box, and a 6th gen that I'm currently wearing as a watch.

All that to say, even if Apple announces a NEW iPod Nano, it's not a guarantee that you'll like the new design... after all, this is the Nano... it could be ANYTHING! LOL

On the other hand, Apple IS moving away from standalone media players AND the aWatch looks like it will be able to do what the Nano currently does (except video playback).

I'm considering getting a 7th gen (to replace my Zune HD).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think that what Apple did with the Classic is a heads-up.... not that they will discontinue the Nano, but that if they did it will be quiet and quick.

Right, and the fact that iPod nano wasn't killed alongside iPod classic means it will survive for at least one more year.

If iPod nano doesn't get updated like last year, however, it may get discontinued next fall. But then again, iPod classic survived nearly 5 years without any update. Although I suspect iPod nano will get the axe sooner than classic.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
The one with the clip was my favourite. Bring that back with bluetooth for wireless headphones.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I posted on another thread saying pretty much the same. Can you put music on the Apple watch?
I believe so...but some of the details are sketchy at this point in time. The Apple Watch and the sudden killing of the Classic are what leads me to believe that the current Nano will be the last... and it's end will be just as immediate.

I have an iPod Touch 4G and (a soon to be surplus) iPhone 4 and I'm debating whether or not to pick up a Nano before they're gone.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I'd hate to see the Apple watch of all things replace the nano... It's not even an iPod. No headphone jack and u have to have the iPhone on u at the same time which sucks during workouts.

LAPTOPODO

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
i'd hate to see the apple watch of all things replace the nano... It's not even an ipod. No headphone jack and u have to have the iphone on u at the same time which sucks during workouts.

+1 ....Jobs Died... Cock think now JUST about the money...

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
The Nano is definitely not dead.
It's the perfect iPod for gym, running etc. Speaking of the 6th gen that is.
You can't connect an :apple:Watch up to a treadmill, crosstrainer etc.
Shuffle doesn't support Nike+.

iPod Nano 8 needs to either have a clip added to it or return to the 6th gen form factor.

But the Nano definitely still has a market.
If the iPod Touch were to disappear as well, as mentioned in other posts, then the only iPod left would be the Shuffle. Thus the "iPod" as we've come to know and love all these years would be reduced down to nothing more than a 2gb, jog wheel based, clip on device.
I can't imagine there being just the iPhone and an iPod Shuffle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.