Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lip5016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Here's a topic that relates to everybody, but doesn't get much attention..

Where do you find "legit" computer desks that are both functional and practical for a music producer?

I'm currently using the kitchen table that was left in the house I moved into and although everything is situated where it's "usable", it's still not really "practical".. the current offerings for office computer desks are pretty lame and are definitely designed with the "average" user in mind..

Currently, on my desk I've got:
-MacBook Pro connected to 27" monitor
-midi keyboard
-wireless keyboard/mouse
-audio interface + separate headphone amp/dac
-modem/router
-elgato thunderbolt dock/external drive

I've also got 2 small tables positioned on each side of my chair, 1 for papers/writing, 1 for food/drinks.. I tend to have several notebooks/papers scattered about much of the time, so something with some nice shelves built-in on a lower level (as to not obstruct speakers) would be great..

I figure it would be sweet to get some kind of office desk setup where I could incorporate all my gear so it's not just scattered everywhere causing me agida (lol).. Something that could sit in an open room and doesn't have a back designed to be up against a wall..

Can anyone make any recommendations on sweet production desk setups and a link to where they could be found? (ps. I work in-the-box) Thanks!!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have an Ikea desk setup...something like this (mine's black, however).

My midi keyboard sits on my right. My audio monitors sit on plant boxes that I also got at Ikea.

It's in the middle of the room so there's a ridiculous amount of exposed wires.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Its not that difficult to make whatever you want. Think Ikea, stainless threaded rod stock, nuts and washers, clear tubing and a drill. You can get all the levels you want, drawers, extensions, sliding cabinets or file drawers.

Its a lot harder to find one.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Here's a topic that relates to everybody, but doesn't get much attention..

Where do you find "legit" computer desks that are both functional and practical for a music producer?

You don't. Fabricated many here for studios and before you ask, just go to ikea and put some stuff together (as suggested) cause there is nothing cheap about having one designed and fabricated ;)

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.