Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
(Posted in another thread but buried immediately as page flipped)

Why the hate?

From an outsider's perspective, Apple isn't bringing anything new to the table anymore. It's just one, big, walled ecosystem. (Fingerprint ID was a nice addition though, yet the added bezel trade-off won't fly long-term when the goal is to continuously maximize screen-size and shrink these).

Remember, the majority of Android users were most likely at one point, part of the initial iPhone user base, coming from flip-phones, music phones, and the like - and only shifted their loyalties from Apple once Apple stopped with the innovation while Google and other hardware makers have continued to experiment.

Personally, I've gone from Apple, to Android and the Note series, to the Blackberry Passport, because those were the avenues which offered what I was looking for - bigger screens, stylus options, customization, security, etc.

As a former fan, it's not that I'm mad at iPhone users for liking iPhones, they're still premium/quality products - I'm mad at Apple for resting on their laurels, seemingly too worried that they'll screw things up by being innovative, that they don't even bother. I'm mad at iPhone users for accepting this mediocrity, when Apple could, and should, be pushing the smartphone industry further into the future, and not playing catch-up.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Why the hate?

Because being anonymous online allow people to say '**** it' and unleash their inner troll without fear of being recognized.

You won't see real hate from people in the real world, unless they are very immature or nut-jobs.

Another reason? People like to root for stuff. Do you have a favorite sports team? Do people 'hate' the Lakers? It's kind of like that but with phones :p

Last edited:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I've been a supporter of ending internet anonymity for quite a while.

Me too! I mean did you see the backlash from YouTube trolls when Google started requiring their YouTube comments to be linked to their Google+ profile? Jesus...

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I've been a supporter of ending internet anonymity for quite a while.

In place instead you'd rather us sign in with our government mandated ids so we can have everything we ever say subject to review to determine if its offensive or not and if we should be jailed?

No. If we ever have that happen I will revolt and I doubt I'll be the only one.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Without competition, either platform would stagnate. "Hate" all you want; it doesn't matter because they're both good operating systems and do most of the things that users need.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Me too! Did you see the backlash from YouTube trolls when Google started requiring their YouTube comments to be linked to their Google+ profile? Jesus...
Maybe because now it's that much easier for big brother google to keep tabs on everyone? Google is in the business of selling information, your information.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Why are we still talking about this? This thread number 2 in the last 24 hours.

I don't care if you don't like my phone ..... just you don't that care that I don't like your phone. People obsess over the stupidest things..

I don't care if you hate Apple.... just as you shouldn't care by my hatred of anything Windows and total disinterest in Android ... move along..

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
From an outsider's perspective, Apple isn't bringing anything new to the table anymore. It's just one, big, walled ecosystem.

I've been using Apple products personally and professionally since 1989. Over the last twenty five years there has never been a single moment that someone hasn't been saying that EXACT same thing about Apple.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Maybe because now it's that much easier for big brother google to keep tabs on everyone? Google is in the business of selling information, your information.

Well, unless you are being an ass on youtube (and I've seen some horrific things said on there) then I'm pretty sure you don't have much to worry about some simple comments like:

"Great video! Thanks for the information"
"You might want to pull the microphone closer next time so we can hear better"
"Also you might want to try out XYZ recipe, its to die for!"

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Apple in PowerPC days were not so good, but now they are really making great products. Just look at the iWatch, sure it could look better, but the digital crown, no one else can do it now that Apple has patented it. Its a walled ecosystem with innovation in its inner sanctum. Though other companies like Samsung are doing a pretty good job trying to get that in their DNA.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
In place of

Your actual name. Just registering everyone's social media handles as "verified" in some way would do wonders. I imagine it could work similar to Facebook. Just login every where, as who you are.

Might force some accountability onto people, and Lord knows we aren't ready for that.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Apple in PowerPC days were not so good, but now they are really making great products. Just look at the iWatch, sure it could look better, but the digital crown, no one else can do it now that Apple has patented it.

Utter nonsense. The PPC kicked Intel butts all over town when it came to the kind of work I do (graphics intensive processing.)

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm mad at iPhone users for accepting this mediocrity, when Apple could, and should, be pushing the smartphone industry further into the future, and not playing catch-up.

Life is way too short to spend any energy being mad at people you do not know for not sharing your opinions.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
In place instead you'd rather us sign in with our government mandated ids so we can have everything we ever say subject to review to determine if its offensive or not and if we should be jailed?

No. If we ever have that happen I will revolt and I doubt I'll be the only one.

That is not how we do things in this country, thankfully. But seriously, do you think that the FBI or NSA is completely unable to figure out who vgamedude on the MacRumors forums is if they really wanted to?

I'm against getting rid of anonymity because some people are freaking crazy and you never know who might decide to attack you in real life because of something you said online.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Well, unless you are being an ass on youtube (and I've seen some horrific things said on there) then I'm pretty sure you don't have much to worry about by just commenting something like:

"Great video! Thanks for the information"
"You might want to pull the microphone closer next to so we can hear better"
"Also you might want to try out XYZ recipe, its to die for!"

So you can say anything as long as it's accepted? You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide?

Yeah why not let's have every action, every word, every comment monitored and have that constantly loom over our head. Let's just go ahead and criminalize hate speech too right and criminalize criticism of the government. Who needs free speech anyway? Why do we need privacy? After all I never say anything that I dont want to be tied back to me! There's absolutely no way that giving all of our anonymity and privacy away could be a bad thing.

And in case you couldn't tell, that was all sarcasm. It is remarkable to me that people like you can say this tripe after all the things that went on with the NSA so recently. It's absolutely astonishing that the citizen who gets his freedom curbed and stomped on will turn his cheek and ask for more, but here you are, an example of the exact thing that perplexes me so much.

Maybe you should go read 1984 and ask yourself some deep questions to understand why this is a horrible idea.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Your actual name. Just registering everyone's social media handles as "verified" in some way would do wonders. I imagine it could work similar to Facebook. Just login every where, as who you are.

Might force some accountability onto people, and Lord knows we aren't ready for that.

It will also result in total speech control and no one being allowed to go against the grain anonymously. I'll pass thanks.

And I'm literally not exaggerating when I say that if this ever happens I will revolt. I don't care what government official is reading this or if you think I'm a loon I will never surrender my privacy and freedom so totally as that. Never.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I've been using Apple products personally and professionally since 1989. Over the last twenty five years there has never been a single moment that someone hasn't been saying that EXACT same thing about Apple.

Really? They weren't saying that after Mac/iPhone/iPad, etc. Apple's released a ton of innovate products over the years. If anything, they've been the ones pushing innovation in a variety of industries, but then a trend happens... they stagnate. They wall things up. And everyone else takes their innovation and improves upon it, adding to it, and introducing new products and form factors.

What happened in the 80's/90's is happening again right now, only Windows has been replaced by Google. Not saying this as a hater - I still love Apple products, they just can't keep resting on their laurels, they should be pushing the industry forwards with things like flexible screens and the like, (although who knows if they're working on things like this behind the scenes - I hope they are).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.