Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
It's October on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here**

October is here and weather is great.

476C2560 by kevinfl2011, on Flickr

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Another autumnal black and white for October.

15216617828_d6363f7afe_b.jpg

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Shot this one last night by dusk and moonlight. This place was so creepy to the right of me the sharp dark rocks protrude into the sky and behind me are tall cliffs and rough seas.

I've become fascinated with the geology of the region and how the rocks' shape, texture and colour changes along the eastern Australian coastline.
The region in this shot is mostly volcanic, columnar jointing can just be made out on the walls of the island. When this stuff erodes it looks magic, sometimes resulting in tall sea stacks :)

K5__2410.jpg

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Took this at the ungodly hour of around 4:30 AM . Didn't look at all like this to my aging eyes . The only light was , in addition to starlight ,from a soon to set near full moon , and waste light from the hotel about a quarter mile away . The mesas were , at best faintly illuminated . Shot with a 50D and 15-85@15mm , f5.6 and a 30 second exposure , ISO 800 . Tripod and release , manually focused at infinity . Didn't look like much until I increased exposure around 2 stops in post , then the clouds and light on the horizon came up .

dawn3812c.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
A brilliant start to the month folks ...

Now here's a quirk of nature - I was looking up into our apple tree today to see how much fruit there is, and I spotted some blossom !!

Cheers :)

Hugh

Attachments

• Apple + Blossom.jpg
    Apple + Blossom.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 223

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Another autumnal black and white for October.

Helicopters!

Nice capture.

----------

Look, I'm starting to get sick of being the only guy that brings hot chicks to these threads. :p

[url=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3927/15224346947_43d08fd864_b.jpg]Image[/url]
FK
by Adam_Campbell, on Flickr

Mate, I am in my forties. receding hairline, married with two kids. The only time I get to see hot chicks is in your posts! Keep them coming. Love the low key effects you do... Encore!

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Mate, I am in my forties. receding hairline, married with two kids. The only time I get to see hot chicks is in your posts! Keep them coming. Love the low key effects you do... Encore!

Appreciate your comments. Two kids, divorced and well…hairlines?

Attachments

• Hairline.jpg
    Hairline.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 208

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
Just a snapshot from meh iPhone... in the October spirit.

Attachments

• beeeer.jpg
    beeeer.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 185

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

When I was a kid we called them chippies.

I see we've started the best photo of the month competition early this month.

Lovely shot.

----------

Shot this one last night by dusk and moonlight. This place was so creepy to the right of me the sharp dark rocks protrude into the sky and behind me are tall cliffs and rough seas.

I've become fascinated with the geology of the region and how the rocks' shape, texture and colour changes along the eastern Australian coastline.
The region in this shot is mostly volcanic, columnar jointing can just be made out on the walls of the island. When this stuff erodes it looks magic, sometimes resulting in tall sea stacks :)

Another stunning shot. The bar is very high already isn't it.

----------

Look, I'm starting to get sick of being the only guy that brings hot chicks to these threads. :p

[url=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3927/15224346947_43d08fd864_b.jpg]Image[/url]
FK
by Adam_Campbell, on Flickr

Sorry dude. All the hot chicks in my entourage are camera shy.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Hi guys! Sorry that I have been so absent lately; it's not from lack of interest! I hope to be more active soon.

Here is a sneak preview of a photo that I will be releasing soon, one I took in the Dolomites this summer.

Also, for any of you who are looking for reading material, you can read everything that you never wanted to know about me in this interview that Aperture Academy published today:

http://www.apertureacademy.com/guest-photographer-erin-babnik.php

Click to Enlarge:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi guys! Sorry that I have been so absent lately; it's not from lack of interest! I hope to be more active soon.

Here is a sneak preview of a photo that I will be releasing soon, one I took in the Dolomites this summer.

Also, for any of you who are looking for reading material, you can read everything that you never wanted to know about me in this interview that Aperture Academy published today:

Click to Enlarge:

[url=http://www.erinbabnik.com/share/LongTimeNoSee.jpg]Image[/URL]

Lovely picture as always, and a very interesting article.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

Click to Enlarge:

Very interesting interview P, thanks for sharing. Do you have to spend much time each year teaching? I love this photograph and the way the warmth of the flowers balances the warmth of the sky and how the line of flowers points to the rising sun. They couldn't have been better placed.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country

Click to Enlarge:

Welcome back, P. Clicking on the article link right after this is posted. Majestic photo as always.

Here's an iconic shot from my recent trip to Glacier NP. Both days I went to capture Wild Goose Island were "not ideal" photo conditions. The first day the mountains were obliterated with smokey haze form California forest fires. The second day that I captured this shot I was facing a very strong head wind that forced me to hold onto my tripod with both hands to keep it steady for this shot. The colors did not come out great but the dynamic light made for a decent conversion to B&W.
XN83Vye.jpg

Last edited:

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
West Fork Campground, Colorado, on Memorial day.

Attachments

• West Fork CG-1.jpg
    West Fork CG-1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 198
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.