Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Which one would you choose/have you chosen to stream movies and some tv shows? And why?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Which one would you choose/have you chosen to stream movies and some tv shows? And why?

With the limited selections most streamers use both. Most streamers try to use as many streaming sites as possible.

Plus Netflix is starting to delete shows that are new after a certain time too.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

If I had to choose one, it would be Netflix since their catalog is much larger then the free Amazon Prime and the Netflix user interface is much better (in my opinion).

I like Amazon Instant Video but I don't like the selection of free video you get through Amazon Prime. It seems like most of the video I want to see is not covered by the Prime membership and cost money. If you get Prime, get it for the two day Amazon shipping and not for the video.

Neither Netflix or Amazon Prime is good for current movies. If you want current movies, you need to pay for them in iTunes, Amazon Instant video (not Prime), or other locations.

Apple TV does not support Amazon Prime but other TV interfaces do. Likewise, I think only the Apple TV supports iTunes video (i.e. some of your decision on what to get will be determined by how you will watch it on your TV).

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
If I had to choose would be netflix. Size of catalog aside, its got a native apple TV app so I don't need to faff around airplaying from an i-device to the AppleTV

to be honest I rarely remember I've got Amazon prime I usually see a thread like this then go take a look at whats new ..I find one movie watch it then promptly forget all about the prime subscription till the next thread comes around..

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I have amazon prime, so I use that, but I dont really use it that often. I use the prime for the shipping and the music. I have so many dvds that I have from yard sales that I need to just watch those. It's my project over the winter. Hopefully if I watch two-four a week, I should be caught up by the time the leaves start growing

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Thank you for the responses. :)

I was more inclined towards Netflix myself, but a group of friends of mine do pray Amazon's service as far as movies go - poor tv shows collection, although I'm not interested in streaming any of that.

I have amazon prime, so I use that, but I dont really use it that often. I use the prime for the shipping and the music. I have so many dvds that I have from yard sales that I need to just watch those. It's my project over the winter. Hopefully if I watch two-four a week, I should be caught up by the time the leaves start growing

Yep, that would be a good reason to have it, but I'm not directly interested in it.

I might try out Netflix together with Hulu Plus - having seen the very poor reception of Amazon's I'm not tempted to try it out anymore.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I might try out Netflix together with Hulu Plus - having seen the very poor reception of Amazon's I'm not tempted to try it out anymore.

I believe that all of them (including Amazon) are free to try out so you might as well try all of them. Hulu Plus is ok but I now have trouble watching streaming with advertisements :D.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I have Netflix as my primary streaming service and Prime for fast shipping, but I've used it rarely for instant video as well.

Netflix has a much larger library for most of the things I'd like to watch. However, Prime seems to get some much newer movies sooner, though it is hit or miss if they're free with Prime.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I like Amazon prime, but I have a few criticisms.
1) The Apple TV connection sometimes drops out and reverts to the iPad screen. It will require multiple attempts for Airplay to get it back on the TV again.
2) I can't figure out how to just get the available prime programs to show up. There are too many unavailable selections, but they clutter the searches anyway.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I love having both options and I want to single out that the fact that Amazon Instant Video has older HBO shows such as The Wire and The Sopranos which make it rather awesome :)

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Does Hulu still insert the commercials.

I use both. Netflix is the go to, and if they don't have a particular show I try Amazon prime. As a prime subscriber, I'm mainly in it for the shipping. So whenever I can watch is bonus.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'd go Amazon Prime. Anything to avoid the Adam Sandler 4 picture deal with Netflix.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
You know, I was thinking about this thread last night. I was scrolling through the amazon prime instant video, looking for a good scary movie for free, and I could NOT find anything that looked like a good scary movie. I typed in Poltergiest, because that's a good scary movie in my opinion, and they wanted
$9.99 to buy Regular definition. What??? That's waaaayyyy too much.

I think that I'm going to resort back to my old way of collecting dvds from used stores and flea markets. There is no reason to pay that much for a digital thing. I would say go to netflix; at least whatever they have to offer is free, alongside your monthly payments.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I have both but don't really use the Amazon Prime much--ease of use with my Apple TV is one reason. But I like the catalog on Netflix better--lots of great British TV shows plus some very interesting British Netflix Original shows--and the American Netflix originals such as Orange is the New Black. If I had to choose, I'd choose Netflix.

hatuko

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
Espoo, Finland
I have Netflix and I love it for the much larger library and because it works on the iPad. Last time I checked and tried Amazon it didn't work on the iPad, dunno now.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had Netflix before AP, but I use both. Netfix does have a huge library with gobs of English TV offerings which my wife appears addicted to. ;) The bedroom TV has Netflix built in, our primary TV has a Roku box on it.

For streaming movies, I've noticed that in many cases, AP offers movies for $1 less than Suddenlink, my cable provider. And based on my experience, I see no substantial quality difference between renting a regular vs a "HD" movie which usually costs $1 more.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I have Netflix and I love it for the much larger library and because it works on the iPad. Last time I checked and tried Amazon it didn't work on the iPad, dunno now.

I've got both, but just use Amazon for shipping. I've re-checked twice, and they haven't had anything I wanted to see, or else they wanted way too much for it. I thought Netflix's catalog was pathetic until I got Amazon. Then I understood pathetic.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
I've got both, but just use Amazon for shipping. I've re-checked twice, and they haven't had anything I wanted to see, or else they wanted way too much for it. I thought Netflix's catalog was pathetic until I got Amazon. Then I understood pathetic.
Agreed, I think most people sign-up for Amazon Prime for the free 2 day shipping and the Prime Instant Video and Prime Music are really just a bonus. When I first signed-up it was only around $50 and it has since more than paid for itself. I haven't tried Netflix instant but I've been a long time customer of Netflix for their DVDs/Blu-rays by mail.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
You must buy a lot of stuff from Amazon to subscribe to Prime..
Yes and now that I'm a Prime member, I find myself buying more stuff from Amazon that I would normally purchase elsewhere. And this is because I'm usually able to buy an item from Amazon at a lower price and/or get the item delivered faster. Here is one of many examples: I was at a home improvement store looking to buy a grill one Saturday afternoon. When I finally decided to purchase the grill, the home improvement store would have taken several days to delivery it but Amazon was able to delivery it for free within two days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.