Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint today announced it is increasing data plan allowances for higher-tier customers in an attempt to compete with AT&T, which recently launched a new promotion that doubles the data available to some subscribers. Sprint also is waiving its existing monthly device access fee until 2015 for new customers. Sprint's double data promotion is available to new and existing customers who sign up by October 31.

sprint-double-plan.jpeg

Sprint's offer extends to its existing 32GB, 40GB and 60GB Family Share Packs, which cost $130, 150 and $225, respectively. Starting today, customers who sign up for the promotion will receive 60GB, 80GB, or 120GB of data at no extra cost. Similar increases are available to corporate customers on a Business Share plan. Customers can call Sprint customer care or visit a retail store to take advantage of this offer.

Sprint recently introduced its new Sprint Family Share Pack that allows customers to share data across multiple devices. Customers pay a fixed price for an allotment of data that is accessible by up to 10 devices. Besides the monthly data fee, customers also pay a monthly access fee for each device connected to the account. Each plan includes unlimited calling and messaging.

Article Link: Sprint Responds to AT&T's Promotion With Its Own Double Data Deal

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
As much as I love T-mobile, I wish they would do something like this.

Waiting for VZ to also respond....

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Yawn, wake me up when they start adding unlimited tier (unlimited mobile, 5GB HotSpot/tethering) like T-Mobile.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
They have unlimited data/voice/messaging for 60 bucks or 50 if you have an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. Who used tiered plans on Sprint?

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
I had sprint a few years ago because they seemed to have the best price and were the first with LTE, but I switched to VZ (even paid a an early term fee) because I found their coverage so horrible wherever I went. I thought it as a case of "you get what you pay for." Anybody have recent/current experience with Sprint, and how is the service?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
What's the point? Network is too slow to use that much data. That's like having an unlimited dial-up plan

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Verizon won't do a thing. They never do. They have the fastest data network out there and they know it. It rivals or is on par with most cable internet providers.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I had sprint a few years ago because they seemed to have the best price and were the first with LTE, but I switched to VZ (even paid a an early term fee) because I found their coverage so horrible wherever I went. I thought it as a case of "you get what you pay for." Anybody have recent/current experience with Sprint, and how is the service?

Sprint was NOT the first with LTE. They were the first with "4G" when they tried to adopt the bastard child known as WiMax. It fell on it's face and that is part of the reason Sprint is trailing in LTE coverage... even trailing T-Mobile. They are playing catch up on their LTE.

antipex

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Through 2015...so they're going to waive it for 3 months? Wow...way to step up there.

This is why all this "competition" isn't what they'd like you to believe. Most of it consists of limited-time promotions which temporarily reduce the cost of already overpriced plans. I'm still on a traditional plan because AT&T's Mobile Share will cost me significantly more.

N e e k

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011

I'm in Chicago with Sprint and I have LTE wherever I go. LTE + unlimited data is awesome...

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Verizon won't do a thing. They never do. They have the fastest data network out there and they know it. It rivals or is on par with most cable internet providers.

Best coverage yes (especially when you are out in the middle of no where for voice calls), fastest LTE that's a big fat NO and it's highly area dependent. So I really won't run around using the "fastest data network" slogan. Unless of course you work for Verizon or have their stocks.

In my area, one of the big city in the US, I hardly break 10 Mbps, I'd be lucky if I can get 5 Mbps on LTE. My ATT and Tmobile friends have me beat all the time. Not to say that I don't like Verzion, there is a reason that I'm with them, but that slogan of yours is just not correct.

chuffman15

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Martinsburg, WV
Anybody have recent/current experience with Sprint, and how is the service?

their service is dreadful. hardly any LTE coverage where I'm at and I'm in an LTE market. their 3g speeds are inconsistent and when you do get a strong data signal its only 1 to 1.5 Mbps.I recently switched from sprint to at&t, paid the ETF on 3 lines and haven't looked back.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I use less than 10 gig accross three devices currently, but in my home, connecting through Comcrap, I think I average around 110-120gig. We are so close to the point where I can just drop the cable crap and use my phone as a hotspot in the house and be done. And I am soooo ready for when that happens.

At $225 for for 120 gig, we are just about there. I am hoping that this sticks and within a year or two, we will see the amount increase for the same rate and that will probably be when I cut the final wire into the house (unless FiOS ever makes it into the house since that is something worthy of having).

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Gimmicks! Just give us a fair plan and be done with it. My friend just switched to T-Mobile for iPhone 6. She sent me all kinds of links/info for all the iPhone plans. After spending about an hour looking them all over, and trying to find out is it best to buy full phone price, subsidized, sign up for "next" plans and such, my head was spinning and I had not idea what she should do. In some cases, she would pay more for footing the full price of a phone.

How about this plan, any carrier. $50/mo. 500 talk minutes, 5GB data, LTE speed. Now that is a plan I'd sign up for. Or better yet, no minutes, pay $0.10/min (for me who doesn't talk on the phone much) and just let me pay $30/mo for 3GB data. Now we are talking. But this won't happen because they want me paying north of $100 monthly, which I won't do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.