Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon today released a statement letting customers know that it no longer plans to throttle users who still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan that allows for unlimited LTE data usage.

verizon_lte_reliable.jpg
Verizon is committed to providing its customers with an unparalleled mobile network experience. At a time of ever-increasing mobile broadband data usage, we not only take pride in the way we manage our network resources, but also take seriously our responsibility to deliver exceptional mobile service to every customer. We've greatly valued the ongoing dialogue over the past several months concerning network optimization and we've decided not to move forward with the planned implementation of network optimization for 4G LTE customers on unlimited plans. Exceptional network service will always be our priority and we remain committed to working closely with industry stakeholders to manage broadband issues so that American consumers get the world-class mobile service they expect and value.
Verizon's LTE data throttling, first announced in July, was set to go into effect today. It would have seen the top five percent of unlimited data users throttled at times of peak usage, which Verizon referred to as "Network Optimization."

Verizon's plan to throttle its customers sparked quite a bit of interest from the FCC, with FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler sending the carrier a letter saying he was "deeply troubled" by the decision. Wheeler also questioned the legality of Verizon's throttling plans and though Verizon responded and its usage restrictions were permitted under current law, it appears the carrier has decided not to go through with its plans due to the response from both the FCC and its own customers.

While Verizon won't be throttling high-usage LTE customers, it has long restricted 3G data usage for unlimited users. Other carriers, such as AT&T, have also implemented LTE usage restrictions for grandfathered unlimited plans, and while the FCC is now questioning all carriers on their network management policies, no other changes have been announced.

Article Link: Verizon Reverses Course on Plan to Throttle Unlimited LTE Customers

Last edited:

RegisK

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Can I go back to my old unlimited data plan? I lost the grandfathered plan when I got a new 2yr contract...

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
So generous of Verizon! I'm sure the fcc investigating them had nothing to do with this.

Can I go back to my old unlimited data plan? I lost the grandfathered plan when I got a new 2yr contract...

Ha, you're joking right?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Lucky, I feel special for having 1,2 GB of LTE before I get throttled to 64kbs in Germany (tho I never even reached it)

duddy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Please PLEASE AT&T! Follow Verizon's lead! I'm sick of being throttled one week into my cycle and having to put up with EDGE speeds for the rest of the month.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Verizon today released a statement letting customers know that it no longer plans to throttle users who still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan that allows for unlimited LTE data usage.

Verizon's LTE data throttling, first announced in July, was set to go into effect today. It would have seen the top five percent of unlimited data users throttled at times of peak usage, which Verizon referred to as "Network Optimization."

Verizon's plan to throttle its customers sparked quite a bit of interest from the FCC, with FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler sending the carrier a letter saying he was "deeply troubled" by the decision. Wheeler also questioned the legality of Verizon's throttling plans and though Verizon responded and its usage restrictions were permitted under current law, it appears the carrier has decided not to go through with its plans due to the response from both the FCC and its own customers.

While Verizon won't be throttling high-usage LTE customers, it has long restricted 3G data usage for unlimited users. Other carriers, such as AT&T, have also implemented LTE usage restrictions for grandfathered unlimited plans, and while the FCC is now questioning all carriers on their network management policies, no other changes have been announced.

Article Link: Verizon Reverses Course on Plan to Throttle Unlimited LTE Customers

FCC = 1 Verizon Wireless = -10

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I'm hoping AT&T has a "me too" moment like every other carrier.

AT&T has gotten away with throttling for the past 4 - 5 years. Why will they suddenly have a change of heart (on a money losing proposition for them)?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
me too! 128 gb space grey! :) and got the upgrade price! :)

Where you find it?? Or still waiting for an online order?

----------

AT&T has gotten away with throttling for the past 4 - 5 years. Why will they suddenly have a change of heart (on a money losing proposition for them)?
Only if there is a massive migration of customers to another carrier. I will move if I can get unlimited data for the same or less amount of money.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
there is a promotion you need to be aware that Verizon is offering right now:

- For every line you have out of contract you save $10/month if you have a 6GB data plan or less.

- For every line you have out of contract you save $25/month if you have a 10GB data plan.

I was paying $210.00/month for 6GB + 3 iPhones.

Now, I'm paying $175.00/month for 10GB + 3 iPhones (one of which is a new iphone 6 plus I ordered under 2 year contract that hasn't arrived yet).

To make things even better Verizon added another 5GB to my data plan as a customer loyalty promotion.

Before: $210.00/month for 6GB Data + 3 iPhones (tax included)

Now: $175.00/month for 15GB Data + 3 iPhones (tax included)

I literally saved $35/month and got 3 times the amount of data.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
AT&T will not stop throttling. The only reason Verizon did is because the C-Block spectrum they got specifically states that you can't throttle users.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Where you find it?? Or still waiting for an online order?

----------

Only if there is a massive migration of customers to another carrier. I will move if I can get unlimited data for the same or less amount of money.

If AT&T was ever susceptible to such a massive migration, that could have happened anytime earlier. Verizon is not offering unlimited plans for AT&T refugees. T-Mobile and Sprint are offering unlimited plans as we speak. No migration has happened. AT&T has no reason to change course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.