Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released a new Activation Lock Status tool (via iDownloadBlog) that will make it easier for people buying a used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to avoid getting a device that is locked to another user.

Accessible via iCloud.com, the Activation Lock Status Checker allows users to enter a Device IMEI or Serial number to check whether a device has Activation Lock turned on.

checkactivationlockstatus.jpg
Activation Lock was introduced alongside iOS 7 and is designed to prevent iPhones and iPads from being stolen. When Find My iPhone is enabled, it effectively locks an iOS device to a user's Apple ID account, and even when wiped, the device will require the original Apple ID and password.

Activation Lock has cut down on iPhone-related thefts in major cities, but it has also affected users who purchase an iOS device used. If Activation Lock is enabled, a used iOS device will be entirely useless until unlocked by the original owner.

If an iOS device does have Activation Lock enabled, Apple's tool will give users a clear warning that an Apple ID and password will be required before another user can activate the device. It also provides instructions on how to remove Activation Lock from a used device, which requires contacting the previous owner.

activationlockon.jpg
Anyone who is purchasing or selling a used iOS device should find Apple's new tool very useful, as it can be used before a transaction takes place to ensure the iOS device will be usable by the new owner.

Article Link: Apple Creates Tool to Check Activation Lock Status on iOS Devices

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Seems like a major score for Apple in the wake of all the -gates of the past few weeks. This will definitely help many people, the buyers to not get screwed over by buying a stolen phone and the sellers (to get screwed over for trying to sell stolen phones)

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Very welcome addition.

I get my iDevices new from my carrier or elsewhere, but it's nice to know there's this little wall of worry torn down in case I or someone I help with purchasing a device needs/wants to buy a used one.

Glassed Silver:mac

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Thats awesome Apple! Now I can buy used devices without being as worried as I have been. Now I just ask the seller for the serial or IMEI.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Thats awesome Apple! Now I can buy used devices without being as worried as I have been. Now I just ask the seller for the serial or IMEI.

Regardless of this I'd always ask for the serial number AND IMEI before buying the device.

And get it on paper/written in digital, protocoled form. (e.g. through eBay Messages)

Glassed Silver:mac

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
Can't wait to check who is using my stolen ipad!!
Apple last year said they could not give out who was using it without a court order. Didn't care about the iPad being stolen, just the 10k of camera equipment that went with it...

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Eek that is one ugly page. Not very Apple. They must have had an intern whip that up very quickly.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Isn't this tool easy to abuse though? Someone could potentially give out a legit number, while selling a device with another...

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Apple last year said they could not give out who was using it without a court order. Didn't care about the iPad being stolen, just the 10k of camera equipment that went with it...

This won't help you with that. This will just confirm whether activation lock is on or off, not what Apple ID has activated the lock.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't really seem that this would relate to that.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Glad to see this, gives us peace of mind when buying a used device online, for sure.

bengay

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
Excellent tool. I hope Apple also provide carrier "Locked" or "Unlocked" information.

jwilson25

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Nice tools, this is good for checking a potential device purchase, as well as for selling you can show it to a buyer to prove you removed the activation lock on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.