Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, I've seen a few posts in the net...and I think it can be resolved with a reinstall (hope so).

But what I need to know is...can a white screen with Apple logo be an issue of the graphic card !

As to my understanding, a stuck Apple logo can't be an issue of the graphic card .....or is there a possibility? I am thinking of purchasing this faulty iMac 2008 and was told by the lady owner that a technician told her that it was a GC issue.

Any of u guys HV come across such a GC issue ?

defboob

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Yes a graphics card can indeed cause the boot up to get stuck at the apple logo

My 27" iMac had that problem, essentially the graphics card crapped out, leaving the iMac only able to display via software-rendering. If the drivers are present in the system files, my iMac hangs there. If I removed the ATI drivers from the directory, then the iMac boots up fine. You should be able to get into safe mode to try it out if this is the case.

found this to help out perhaps:

*In order to still use your computer, one of the thing you can do is remove the ATIRadeon Drivers.*
*What I did is to save it on my external Hard Drive in order to be able to replace it later.*
*The GPU is simply desactivate and all the job is done by the Dual Core.*
*Of course it is not so good as expected and HD movies lag to much but at least you can use your computer and wait for Apple and AMD to find something and change it for free.*

*Here is the list of the file to delete :*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle*

I followed these instructions, restarted then emptied the trash & havent had any freezing pixels since. However I cannot watch videos in VLC or quick time, the screen saver looks very shaky. What I can do though is use photoshop, write code, surf the web and have basic functionality that I need without the screen freezing or going blank.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
PHP:
Yes a graphics card can indeed cause the boot up to get stuck at the apple logo

My 27" iMac had that problem, essentially the graphics card crapped out, leaving the iMac only able to display via software-rendering. If the drivers are present in the system files, my iMac hangs there. If I removed the ATI drivers from the directory, then the iMac boots up fine. You should be able to get into safe mode to try it out if this is the case.

found this to help out perhaps:

*In order to still use your computer, one of the thing you can do is remove the ATIRadeon Drivers.*
*What I did is to save it on my external Hard Drive in order to be able to replace it later.*
*The GPU is simply desactivate and all the job is done by the Dual Core.*
*Of course it is not so good as expected and HD movies lag to much but at least you can use your computer and wait for Apple and AMD to find something and change it for free.*

*Here is the list of the file to delete :*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle*
*– /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle*

I followed these instructions, restarted then emptied the trash & havent had any freezing pixels since. However I cannot watch videos in VLC or quick time, the screen saver looks very shaky. What I can do though is use photoshop, write code, surf the web and have basic functionality that I need without the screen freezing or going blank.

Hi, thnank you so much for replying. I thought I'd never get a repl. :)

Oh...so such a freeze at the apple logo ...can be caused by a GC! It's not my mac, I was thinking if I should get this faulty imac ....hoping that it will only be a HDD issue, luckily I ddnt get it.

Thanks again for the clarification. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.