Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
so i really like doing macro work of random objects. i recently got a nice macro lens, and a remote to use along with it.

something else i like a lot is panoramas. i have never really tried to do much stitching (my first attempts failed a long while ago and haven't tried actively since)... but

how difficult would it be to combine the two?

for instance. i want to have a very wide image of a bunch of objects on a table, all focused the same way (tight focus with heavily blurred background)... but what are the chances i could actually successfully shoot and stitch multiple images so that the focus isn't screwy, etc...? and how would i go about it?

could very well be a pipe dream, but worth asking!

ps. what stitching software do people use? i have a digital rebel and photoshop elements 3 (could access full PS if need be)....
thanks!

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
IMO if you've got the time you can do it. PSE may be better than PS for the task, too. Good luck, and please post the results.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
does any particular method come to mind? i feel like rotating the cam on a tripod wouldn't work, because the depth of field is sooo tight. should i refocus on a shot by shot basis or just leave it the same?

i thought that somehow getting a track to move the camera along that's exactly parallel to the axis of the objects would be the only/best way to do it. but i have no idea on how to actually do that. hah

hmmmmmmm

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
jelloshotsrule said:
i thought that somehow getting a track to move the camera along that's exactly parallel to the axis of the objects would be the only/best way to do it. but i have no idea on how to actually do that. hah

I was going to suggest the same sort of principle. You can't just rotate the camera on it's tripod if you're going to do what you want to do.

I say carefully measure the distance from your camera to the table's edge, and always focus along the central of the table or something to keep the focal distance constant as well.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
If the stitching is to be as automatic as possible you'll need some continuity between the objects so PSE can figure how to join the subjects. For example, an undulating ribbon, a line of sand, and so on. You can always manually join the images if PSE cannot.

A ring stand similar to those in chemistry labs might be good to keep the camera at the same height over the objects, assuming that they are similar size and height.

Experiment! It's almost free if your time is not worth much (the Linux OS pops into my mind here) and could be a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever seen such a macro-panorama but why not?

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
I agree with your track idea

I think it will have to be mounted or set stably onto some guideway that maintains a constant distance from the subject.

Alternatively, you could find...

wait, you need a toy train of some kind, a straight track of any kind with a flat-topped vehicle that will stably hold your camera or mini tripod. Then you can move it along at appropriate intervals and maintain equal distance with minimum engineering effort.

Macro panorama,... nice idea.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
jelloshotsrule said:
so i really like doing macro work of random objects. i recently got a nice macro lens, and a remote to use along with it.

something else i like a lot is panoramas. i have never really tried to do much stitching (my first attempts failed a long while ago and haven't tried actively since)... but

how difficult would it be to combine the two?

for instance. i want to have a very wide image of a bunch of objects on a table, all focused the same way (tight focus with heavily blurred background)... but what are the chances i could actually successfully shoot and stitch multiple images so that the focus isn't screwy, etc...? and how would i go about it?

could very well be a pipe dream, but worth asking!

ps. what stitching software do people use? i have a digital rebel and photoshop elements 3 (could access full PS if need be)....
thanks!

You should have a program called "photostitch" that came on a CD with your camera. it does panorama's as well as QTVR 360, and you should already have it. I corrects for the lens distortion on the QTVR's, haven't tried just a panorama.

I think having the objects on a track and moving them in a straight level line would be better than moving the camera. Use a tripod and stop your lens down for max depth of field. Moving the objects should keep the light and background constant.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
jelloshotsrule said:
In my experience it is necessary to keep the camera's settings static during the panoramic shoot. Set the Focus, ISO, Aperture and Exposure then shoot around. That way when you stitch, everything should blend nicely. I don't know how this would affect macro photography though. Good luck :D

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Another solution would be to draw a circle centered on the tripod's rotation axis and place the objects along the circle. You can then rotate the camera to get your pics. This may or may not work but would solve the problem of parallax of out of focus elements.

You can find software to converte conical panos into rectilinear ones. I'll go look for them. :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Rotating the camera at macro distances will yield some really bizarre perspective stuff.

There is such a thing for macro work, that lets you slide the camera forward and backward to help in fine focusing, why not make that go sideways and slide the camera horizontally to take your pans?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Cooknn said:
Hey guys - this isn't really macro, but close I guess. You have to check out this 360° QTVR Pano of a fisherman catching a fish - under water! It's even got directional sound. Good stuff :D
I was like, whoa this would be hard to do... then I saw the mask on the bottom of the river, whats up with that?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
jared_kipe said:
I was like, whoa this would be hard to do... then I saw the mask on the bottom of the river, whats up with that?
I assumed it was like a company logo. Not too hard to take a cube face and photoshop your company graphic in. Anyways, after further research I've discovered that entire pano was manufactured :eek:

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Cooknn said:
I assumed it was like a company logo. Not too hard to take a cube face and photoshop your company graphic in. Anyways, after further research I've discovered that entire pano was manufactured :eek:
I kinda thought that it might have been, but I didn't want to cry foul.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.