Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A recent Apple patent application (via AppleInsider) reveals some of the company's efforts looking into ways of improving the Apple TV and iTunes desktop experience using iOS. The newly published patent application, titled "Browsing remote content using a native user interface," describes a mobile application that would serve as a second screen for a connected media device.

tv_remote_guis_patent.jpg
Mobile devices and computers displaying native interfaces for viewing content and sending controls to media device
This smarter iOS-based remote detailed in the patent moves away from the current Remote app that mimics a hardware remote by providing a robust Apple TV or iTunes interface on the mobile device. Users could then browse, search or perform other advanced functions right from the mobile device.
The disclosed technology relates to receiving media signals from a media device and rendering a user interface that is native to the device receiving the media signals based on information encoded in the media signals. The device receiving the media signal interprets information received from the media device describing media content and semantic information describing a type of interface page, and displays the content based on the semantic information in a graphical user interface (GUI) on the electronic device based on the interpretation.
Other descriptions in the patent application, which was filed in March 2013, suggest iOS owners could use the remote to search the web for information, such as the cast of the movie they are watching, and display that information on the big screen.

Apple is rumored to be working on a new Apple TV that could launch sometime in 2015. The company reportedly is working with cable companies to negotiate access to live and on-demand content, but has run into numerous obstacles on the content front.

The new Apple TV may include an App Store, Siri integration and more. It is not yet clear whether the device will be a cable-supported set-top box, an updated version of the current Apple TV, or a combination set-top box and streaming media device, as Apple has been rumored to be working on a variety of different options.

As with many Apple patent applications showing unreleased inventions, there are no assurances the disclosed inventions will ever be released, but they can sometimes reveal hints about the company's areas of interest and research.

Article Link: Advanced Apple TV Remote Interface for iOS and Macs Outlined in Apple Patent Application

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The current remote app could certainly use a little sprucing up. And providing a remote app on the Mac would be nice too.

HOWEVER, for the sake of all that is good in this world, PLEASE kill the cable dependency for content.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
It's looking like Apple TV time! ! !

I hope Apple is turning its focus to the TV thing they "finally cracked".

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Finally!

I hate having to scroll through using the remote to enter in Apple ID, or passwords, or general keyboard normal activities when I've got an iPad or iPhone readily available.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
It's good Apple is finally redesigning the Apple TV remote interface. The current one with the Apple TV remote sucks. By far the worst, most UN-Apple like experience. It's just torture scrolling thru the alphabet to search for a title.

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
In my opinion one of the biggest flaws in the AppleTV and most every other streamer where they want you to use your phone as an input device is the lack of HDMI-CEC input switching like the Chromecast is able to do. I HATE having something that I want to Airplay for example only to have to stop what I am doing on my phone and reach for the TV remote to switch inputs to the AppleTV. Completely ruins the flow. With the Chromecast I just tell it to play and the TV switches.

I can't understand why this isn't a bigger deal with people? It can't just be me can it?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I don't think they have a choice.

Although in reality you are probably right, technically they have enough cash to buy out the content providers. So it could happen. And the content providers should look at this as an opportunity. Because of their controlling ways, it has allowed for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. to gain a foothold. If they keep doing this they will go away. I already only watch through Netflix, Apple or through an attena. These content providers lost their chance at getting my money.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Finally!

I hate having to scroll through using the remote to enter in Apple ID, or passwords, or general keyboard normal activities when I've got an iPad or iPhone readily available.

My complaint ever since that little remote came out.

Totally unApple. Frustrating to use, especially after making a mistake.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The current remote app could certainly use a little sprucing up. And providing a remote app on the Mac would be nice too.

HOWEVER, for the sake of all that is good in this world, PLEASE kill the cable dependency for content.

Cable tv is a necessary evil for content owners and ad agencies. It provides them the best guarantee that millions of eyes will be watching TV at a specific time.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
For me, the ideal would be to have an OS X application that mirrors the AppleTV screen. I normally have my laptop open when I'm watching TV. It would be great to be able to control my AppleTV without having to pick up another device, just like I can control other computers via Screen Sharing.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
about time.

I have the Remote App and don't find it much better than the tiny-physical remote.

I was hoping for better App Control. this could be it.

and I too hate having to grab a couple remotes to switch to the other HDMI input.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Wait a minute, look I have both Apple TV and Roku. Roku has been doing something similar to this since they had their iOS app.

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
Finally!

The keyboard has been a feature of the remote app since the apps beginning.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, I want an iOS Remote UI that actually shows the available content, has groups, organization, search, filtering by content ratings, etc.

Right now - with the exception of text entry - the iOS Remote app just emulates the bundled remote.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple has been working on a new apple TV for some time now. I think these rumors are a complete shot in the dark.

Early q1, by q3, early 2016....

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
does the cloud in the middle mean that the "remote app" will need an internet connection, and that it will send data to external servers etc, in order to function?

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
In my opinion one of the biggest flaws in the AppleTV and most every other streamer where they want you to use your phone as an input device is the lack of HDMI-CEC input switching like the Chromecast is able to do. I HATE having something that I want to Airplay for example only to have to stop what I am doing on my phone and reach for the TV remote to switch inputs to the AppleTV. Completely ruins the flow. With the Chromecast I just tell it to play and the TV switches.

I can't understand why this isn't a bigger deal with people? It can't just be me can it?

It should auto-detect nearby :apple:TVs, and allow me to *swipe* a photo or other content onto the :apple:TV.

Also lose the wifi router dependency and use direct connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.