Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have four Verizon UDP lines (iPhone 4) and have an order for four new iPhone 6 Plus's that will cost me about $3,500 to buy the phones outright. I called Verizon and if I go to a contract with the new promotion of 30GB of data for $130, it will increase my bill by about $35 per month, or about $277 per month total. The subsidized phones on contract will save me about $1,350 and I can sell my four iPhone 4's for about $400. My phones are not scheduled to arrive until the end of the month, so I will miss out on the $200 trade-in value as well. That gives me about $1,700 in savings. That $1,700 will cover the cost of the plan increase for about 48 months. I just saw that Verizon will not throttle my lines, but the cost savings may make me jump ship. We are only using about 2GB of data right now, but expect to use a lot more on LTE and we will add a new iPad Air in the coming months.

I would be interested in what the community members thought about this situation?

Thanks in advance all...

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
From a VZN email today... The dates for the promotion have been extended 15 days. Perhaps you can take advantage of the rebates now.

The appraised value includes a promotional offer that requires a purchase of an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon Wireless by 10/15/2014. Your device must be mailed to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus but no later than 12/01/2014. Devices received after 12/01/2014 will be reassessed at current market value. Damaged and non-working devices will be appraised according to their condition at time of inspection.

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
Unless they extend the offer to the end of October, I will not have them. I know that some people are getting phones early, but mine have been stuck at expected ship date of October 24th. I also ordered on the pre-sale day.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
I have four Verizon UDP lines (iPhone 4) and have an order for four new iPhone 6 Plus's that will cost me about $3,500 to buy the phones outright. I called Verizon and if I go to a contract with the new promotion of 30GB of data for $130, it will increase my bill by about $35 per month, or about $277 per month total. The subsidized phones on contract will save me about $1,350 and I can sell my four iPhone 4's for about $400. My phones are not scheduled to arrive until the end of the month, so I will miss out on the $200 trade-in value as well. That gives me about $1,700 in savings. That $1,700 will cover the cost of the plan increase for about 48 months. I just saw that Verizon will not throttle my lines, but the cost savings may make me jump ship. We are only using about 2GB of data right now, but expect to use a lot more on LTE and we will add a new iPad Air in the coming months.

I would be interested in what the community members thought about this situation?

Thanks in advance all...

I would quickly cancel that order. Go online to bestbuy.com, order as upgrade and make sure to check mark the keep my plan box... Wait for the phones to be delivered, do not power on the new phones at all until you put LTE sims from the old phones into the new phones. Turn them on.... Enjoy the upgrade pricing along with keeping your UDP on all of your lines!!

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
The appraised value includes a promotional offer that requires a purchase of an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon Wireless by 10/15/2014. Your device must be mailed to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus but no later than 12/01/2014. Devices received after 12/01/2014 will be reassessed at current market value. Damaged and non-working devices will be appraised according to their condition at time of inspection.

You purchased your phone BEFORE 10/15/14 and it sounds like you should have it in time to send back. The forms are online. If you fill it out using your purchase order number I would think they will send the rebate envelopes in time for you to send it back in time.

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
I called and spoke to Verizon and they said that I need to pay for the phones and activate them before October 15th to get the $200 per phone. All they said was we are sorry. Not was I was expecting.

As far as going to Best Buy, I do not have SIM cards in my iPhone 4's. I am still rocking the old 4 on 3G with no SIM cards. So, Best Buy will not work as I do not have SIM cards.

I appreciated the responses as I and trying to figure out how to save some money. It looks like I should be able to get $100 for each Verizon iPhone 4 that I have looking at Craig's List.

What it comes down to is should I pay $3500 for the four new 6 Plus's off contact, or $1,700 on contract. I will have a total of four iPhone 4's to sell to get about $500. So, net cost off contract (keeping four UDP lines) will be $3000 and on contact $1,200 (with 30 GB of data).

The net difference is $1,800 which will cover the extra cost per month on contract of about $35 for about 50 months.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again...

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
Thought about selling them. Seems like a lot of work for four lines and I do not have the time with work and family. I am not lazy by any means, just have too much going on. I am sure I could easily get $200 per line if not more. The less of them that are out there, the more the price goes up. Might be best to just keep them and just deal with the extra cost difference of about $1,800 at the end of the day. Maybe sell them in a year of two, as long as Verizon permits the AOL. We will see when they try and close that loop-hole.

I still have the order in place and will not cancel it just yet.

Thanks again for the thoughts. Any more would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to make an informed and smart decision.

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
find a friend with a 5s and ask verizon to give you new 4G LTE SIM chips for it.

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
Since we are getting a new iPad Air in a few months, i will need data on it to. Looks like the individual data plans are costly. If I move to a share plan with 30GB of data, it only costs $10 more per month for the device to share the data. Would that sway any of you away from the UDP?

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I called and spoke to Verizon and they said that I need to pay for the phones and activate them before October 15th to get the $200 per phone. All they said was we are sorry. Not was I was expecting
If this were me, and I still had the order pending in a week or so, I'd call VZN back and see if there is an escalation department that would be able to waive the ending date since you ORDERED your phones the first possible day and VZN was not able to fill your order in a timely manner. It is also possible that you will get an early shipment, or they will extend the date again.
Wish you luck.. $800 is a pretty decent amount of money and worth persuing up the ladder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.