Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2013
All instances of iTunes in posts seem to create links to iTunes.com.

J1ZIItY.jpg

Of course, my immediate thought was malware... except...I'm on an iPad. Also, it's a direct link...just seems an odd idea feature (and/or advertisement) to me.

I'm not complaining... I'm just really confused.

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2013
OK. I'm testing this on Android. If I type iTunes does it create a link?

(iOS) I'm not seeing it anymore either. However, it seemed to be happen at random with only some page loads when it did...so I'm not 100% on that.

At least 2 others saw this within the span of a couple hours.

[1 hour after I first noticed]
Does anybody notice everywhere the word iTunes is it's a link ?

[1.5 hours after I noticed]
It's a macrumors bug. Or if not (i.e., if it is a new "feature") then I would still call it a bug.

[2 hours after I noticed]
macrumors itunes bug seems to be fixed now.

I would guess it was a server glitch but it seems like an oddly specific one.

Does anyone recall if macrumors previously autolinked websites when you typed a url sans the "http://www." part? I honestly can't remember.

Examples:
iTunes.com
google.com
yahoo.com

I'm thinking whatever code that does that may have been modified or a manual entry got put in by accident or something (think "only supposed to happen with the user level 'Macrumors bot'").

Edit: That's interesting, only iTunes.com got automatically changed into a link. I wonder if apple.com does as well.

Edit 2: It does.

pivo6, on your Android does the above behavior happen for you too?

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Note that I'm using the mobile version of this website.

apple.com
iTunes.com

edit:Using the Chrome browser on my phone, links do not show up as underlined, but when you click on the text, it treats the text as links.

Links do show up when using the desktop version.

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2013
Note that I'm using the mobile version of this website.

apple.com
iTunes.com

edit:Using the Chrome browser on my phone, links do not show up as underlined, but when you click on the text, it treats the text as links.

Links do show up when using the desktop version.

I guess it's only Apple websites that get this feature then. Welp, there goes my dream of repeatedly linking samsung.com in iPhone threads... I guess I'll have to find some other way to slightly annoy people. *sulks*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.