Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Ok, I know where I am. So it could seem like a silly question, but who knows macs better than Mac rumors?

Those of you in the medical community, have you had any issues with Mac's? I know bootcamp is an option, but I am no computer wiz and just want things to work.

Thanks

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Ok, I know where I am. So it could seem like a silly question, but who knows macs better than Mac rumors?

Those of you in the medical community, have you had any issues with Mac's? I know bootcamp is an option, but I am no computer wiz and just want things to work.

Thanks
I'm not in the medical community, but in the tech community, so the question to ask yourself is, "what software will I be using?". THAT is perhaps the greatest determining factor in what system you choose.

Using bootcamp or a virtual Windows image on a Mac are not going to be pleasant if you will primarily be using Windows apps. It is fine for the occasional Windows app, but as primary elements of a workflow... not so much.

If you need a Windows machine, I'd recommend the Surface Pro 3 over an ultrabook because of the flexibility (tablet/notebook). The active stylus provides a great experience when using the SP3 as a digital notepad.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Unfortunately, I have to recommend a Surface Pro 3.
You need full Windows, most likely.
And the Macbook Air does not have pen input.

This is one of those circumstances that such a device will be favourable. If you can get past the fact that it runs Windows, but again, you have little choice.

Battery Life will not be as good as your MacBook- expect 5-7 hours in normal (light) usage.

The Pen will be very useful. For signing documents, etc. My recommendation is to get the type cover; the touch cover is only good for brief usage.

You'll want an i5, 256GB model most likely. This will not be cheap; you'll be paying about $100 more for an equivalent MacBook. If you can live with less storage, you can get the cheaper 128GB model.

I don't know what software you need, nor am I involved in the medical community. But I can image a pen, running the software you need, and a tablet form-factor would be more favourable than a MacBook Air in this case.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks

I think this boils down to what you plan on using it for and what EMR you are using in addition to your specialty.

I am a PGY-2 anesthesia resident with all Mac goodies and no bootcamp. I use Citrix receiver on OS X to get into the EMR from home and put in orders or look up patients with no problem whatsoever. If you want something to round with on the floor you shouldn't need windows either depending on your facility setup. Same deal with iPad or iPhone and Citrix app on the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.