Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewMediaGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Hey guys, just wondering if i can get some feedback for my portfolio flash site. It's all xml driven and it took a long time, but let me know if you have any suggestions or if you spot any bugs. Thanks!

http://www.entrance4.net

also this is my first post over at macrumors, so hi

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
I personally don't like sites that make you get a new window with the actual content of the site, maybe that is just my personal preference, but I am sure lots of people think that way.
It looks very nice a pro though.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I second the "no new window" criticism. I used to have the same with my website but I stopped because, well, I realised how much I hated it when this happens.

Apart from that though, the website itself looks great. If anything, I'd maybe make it a little bigger. Put the content in the main window and just make it a little bigger. Other than that, it looks great.

And I've just watched your piano player animation. Nice work. I was a bit the same. My second animation was a big project while my first was rather basic. Learned heaps though with the second one!

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Like the others, I don't like sites that force you to open a new window. Overall, a nice design though.

NewMediaGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Thanks for the responses. I've been thinking about changing it so it doesn't have to open in a new window.

Does anyone know of a javascript code to change the size of the window when someone visits the main page? that way it wouldn't have to open in a new window it would just resize the current one. Is that even possible?

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
I think it is possible, not sure about how though, I am not very good with web design.
But, I really don't like it when a page resizes my window, because it is my window, and I like to have it at a certain size. also I might have other tabs open (in Safari) and it would be annoying for my window to change sizes on me.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
NewMediaGuy said:
Does anyone know of a javascript code to change the size of the window when someone visits the main page?

This *is* possible...but since you're open to constructive criticism, can we yet again gently nudge you away? This is really, really irritating to me, and I don't think I'm alone. Find a way to make your site work in the confines of the user's browser window. Don't make a new window. Don't change the existing one. Leave it alone, and adapt your content. This is really what I think you should be doing. This way, you avoid having a website that won't work unless you turn on all kinds of browser features, like JScript resizes, and pop-ups, that we don't want on to begin with.

Let me add to that, that I like your design aesthetic a lot. It's very visually appealing, simplistic, and usable. :)

If you *do* need it, here's the code:

Code:
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
if (document.all || document.layers)
    window.resizeTo(xxx,yyy)
//--></SCRIPT>

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I went to the link and then closed it b/c it wants me to open another window. I agree with others that do not like that.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Why don't you just embed what is currently the pop-up into the browser window at the start? That way you don't have to alter what you currently have. It'll be a small content area but at least it will fit in with the stripey background you currently have.

But like everyone's saying, apart from this, it looks great. So well done!

NewMediaGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
thanks for all the suggestions and compliments. I think soon I will try to embedd the site on the main page so you wont have to open it in a new window...

The only reason I dont have that now is because if you switch sections the bar on the right moves up and down which looked awkward to me without a border. Maybe on my main page I could have the site in it's own shadow frame example: http://www.entrance4.net/portfolio/antfarm.shtml

This way, I could still have the border I want, and people wont have to open another window. What do you think?

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I agree that it should display in the main window -- mostly because I have Safari configured to open most popups in a new tab instead of a new window, and thus I see the flash content in the upper-left corner of my browser window.

I think the centered shadow thing will work (make sure you center it vertically as well ;) ) but don't use the stripey background behind the shadow. Maybe a medium/light grey under it or something?

But, don't ask me.. I suck at design (usually).

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
dang that's pretty slick & tight. I'd say your flash skills are your strongest asset, the design is nice, but there is some room for improvement (the big bold white font bugs me a bit)

I wouldn't want to be going against you for a flash dev job

NewMediaGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
thanks guys... definately the hardest part was figuring out how to get the swf to "update" itself as I add new content (IE allowing the thumbnail scroller to go further). Everything is spawned and moved around with actionscript, which makes it a lot easier without having to keep track of tweens and whatnot. Everything is loaded though an XML sheet which isnt to hard if you search for a tutorial online.

Other than that if you flash people have any questions let me know.

btw, that site is 1 frame and about 1,700 lines of actionscript :p

-------

back to the origional problem - do you like this solution better than having to open a new window like http://www.entrance4.net?

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
NewMediaGuy said:
btw, that site is 1 frame and about 1,700 lines of actionscript :p

:eek:

That's crazy! I don't trust my Flash skills enough for something like that. I use lots of frames instead. So I can narrow down a problem quickly.

The site's great thought. Nice work. And what I like about it is that it loads quickly!

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
middle ground

NMG-
You have a nice looking site. I think it is very smooth and not over-designed. Couple things I would suggest, so take them for what they are worth. I would center up your work (both horizontally and vertically) and forget the extra window. I think one of your blog entries got cut off. It's better to have some open space or a little open space than to look "squeezed" in.

Secondly, your flash work is great (or as I saw, your action scripting). Nice, very smooth. I would just rethink your IA a little bit. Most of the people (on this forum) are pretty web savvy and would know what to do or look for. You might want to think about your lowest common denominator when it comes to navigation (would they know what to do?).

Lastly, check out AJAX. It functions a lot like flash, except its an HTML accompanyment, and your page doesn't have to refresh.

good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.