Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andypandy77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Hi all,

This is my first submission to this great board, and I sincerely hope you can help.

I'm the happy owner of a 27" iMac mid-2011-edition with 3,4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 133 MHz DDR3-ram and a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 mb graphic card.

I'm looking for a second screen for my mac, since 27" is not nearly enough workspace anymore. I primarily do text edit, photoshop pictures, a little video editing as well as making keynote presentations. I would very much like a screen with the following features:

- possibility to adjust to same height as my iMac
- pivot feature when vertical working is most efficient
- as much resolution as possible for a good workspace
- ready for future upgrades such as if I buy a new iMac etc.
- if possible: Nice to look at from all angles (the back will be visible in my office).

Although it's not a beauty from behind a lot of you talk very nice about the Dell UltraSharp U2713HM as a great 2nd monitor to the 27" iMac 2012-edition (with Thunderbolt).

Will this be a great monitor for my iMac as well or are there other monitors you would recommend instead? What kind of connection will be the best? And can I use the full resolution on the monitor?

Looking very much forward to your replys. Btw - the price is secondary. If there's a better and more pricy option I'm all ears.

Best,

Andreas

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I don't have an answer for you (though I have that same machine) but I can say welcome to the forums. :apple:

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Hi all,

This is my first submission to this great board, and I sincerely hope you can help.

I'm the happy owner of a 27" iMac mid-2011-edition with 3,4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 133 MHz DDR3-ram and a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 mb graphic card.

I'm looking for a second screen for my mac, since 27" is not nearly enough workspace anymore. I primarily do text edit, photoshop pictures, a little video editing as well as making keynote presentations. I would very much like a screen with the following features:

- possibility to adjust to same height as my iMac
- pivot feature when vertical working is most efficient
- as much resolution as possible for a good workspace
- ready for future upgrades such as if I buy a new iMac etc.
- if possible: Nice to look at from all angles (the back will be visible in my office).

Although it's not a beauty from behind a lot of you talk very nice about the Dell UltraSharp U2713HM as a great 2nd monitor to the 27" iMac 2012-edition (with Thunderbolt).

Will this be a great monitor for my iMac as well or are there other monitors you would recommend instead? What kind of connection will be the best? And can I use the full resolution on the monitor?

Looking very much forward to your replys. Btw - the price is secondary. If there's a better and more pricy option I'm all ears.

Best,

Andreas
I own the u2713h. It is hooked up to my mac mini. GREAT screen, it is 10 bit opposed to 8 bit in the u2713hm. Yesterday Isaw dell also sells 30 inch and so. Anyhow the screen is fully compatible and the needed wires were delivered in the box. Did perform a small patch as macos only recognized it as a tv screen.

andypandy77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I don't have an answer for you (though I have that same machine) but I can say welcome to the forums. :apple:

Thank you very much. I hope I can contribute as well.

----------

I own the u2713h. It is hooked up to my mac mini. GREAT screen, it is 10 bit opposed to 8 bit in the u2713hm. Yesterday Isaw dell also sells 30 inch and so. Anyhow the screen is fully compatible and the needed wires were delivered in the box. Did perform a small patch as macos only recognized it as a tv screen.

Thank you for sharing. U2713h looks nice too. I guess U2715h would be the direct update to your screen, right?

Normally I don't have a hard time defining what would suit my needs, but I really think the monitor marked is a jungle. Having an iMac I really never had to do much thinking about that part. And I would have guessed there would be better brands than Dell to consider. But I'm a true rookie here.

I would have guessed the Apple Thunderbolt Display should be the obvious choice, but it reeeally lacks features. First of all it doesn't look as its possible to bring the iMac screen and the thunderbolt display on level. What's up with that? Secondly, it would be nice to add USB 3.0 ports to my semi-old mac, which quite a few screens seems to add. It's a joke Apple only provided USB 2.0 ports in a device twice the price of the normal test winners. And third: Pivot is just sweet. So I have to look outside Apple - outside my comfort zone ;)

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Thank you very much. I hope I can contribute as well.

----------

Thank you for sharing. U2713h looks nice too. I guess U2715h would be the direct update to your screen, right?

Normally I don't have a hard time defining what would suit my needs, but I really think the monitor marked is a jungle. Having an iMac I really never had to do much thinking about that part. And I would have guessed there would be better brands than Dell to consider. But I'm a true rookie here.

I would have guessed the Apple Thunderbolt Display should be the obvious choice, but it reeeally lacks features. First of all it doesn't look as its possible to bring the iMac screen and the thunderbolt display on level. What's up with that? Secondly, it would be nice to add USB 3.0 ports to my semi-old mac, which quite a few screens seems to add. It's a joke Apple only provided USB 2.0 ports in a device twice the price of the normal test winners. And third: Pivot is just sweet. So I have to look outside Apple - outside my comfort zone ;)

I did not try to hook up the usb ports but the u2713h has a great resolution and so. I have not regretted it for a second. The ATD can not be adjusted in height, ergonomics :apple: ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.