Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the third anniversary of Steve Jobs' passing, Apple CEO Tim Cook has sent a memo to Apple employees (via iClarified), asking them to take some time to remember the "many ways Steve made our world better."

jobs_1955_2011.jpg
Team,

Sunday will mark the third anniversary of Steve's passing. I'm sure that many of you will be thinking of him on that day, as I know I will.

I hope you'll take a moment to appreciate the many ways Steve made our world better. Children learn in new ways thanks to the products he dreamed up. The most creative people on earth use them to compose symphonies and pop songs, and write everything from novels to poetry to text messages. Steve's life's work produced the canvas on which artists now create masterpieces.

Steve's vision extended far beyond the years he was alive, and the values on which he built Apple will always be with us. Many of the ideas and projects we're working on today got started after he died, but his influence on them -- and on all of us -- is unmistakeable.

Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for helping carry Steve's legacy into the future.

Tim
Though Steve Jobs passed away three years ago on October 5, 2011, the former Apple CEO has continued to have a major impact on the company. His fourth floor office has remained untouched since his death, and Apple CEO Tim Cook has taken several opportunities during recent interviews to emphasize Jobs' influence on the company's direction and on the development of new products.

"His spirit will always be the foundation of the company," Cook said in an interview with Charlie Rose, where he said that Steve will always be in his heart. "He is deep in Apple's DNA."

Article Link: Tim Cook Asks Apple Employees to Remember Steve Jobs on Third Anniversary of His Death

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
It's ironic that Tim is "remebering Steve" as he is now ruining Steve's once great company. I really don't like Tim.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
No it wasn't, Steve just happened to be wrong on what he thought was the "perfect" screen size of an iPhone. It wouldn't have been the first thing he was wrong on.

He wasn't wrong. Back before 2011, that was the correct size. 2014 is different.
1984 Mac was the perfect product for 1984. That doesn't mean that we should still have a b/w display and up to 512k of RAM. Things change, and
Steve's ability was to know where to put his money on.
Even "perfection" evolves.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is probably how religions started in the distant past. In a few thousand years there will be Steve Jobs charms and protection pendants.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Seems like Apple is treating him like a religious figure.

There's nothing wrong with remembering your beloved ones on the anniversary of their death y'know... Perhaps you haven't lose a friend or a family member.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
No it wasn't, Steve just happened to be wrong on what he thought was the "perfect" screen size of an iPhone. It wouldn't have been the first thing he was wrong on.

Based on using a device with one hand (or even one finger), the 3.5"-4.0" iPhones were the perfect size. Most everyone could use those devices with one hand. That people now want "bigger" doesn't mean that they are better devices. The Plus is a different kind of device, and to me calling it an "iPhone" is just a branding decision and because it makes phone calls. But it no longer functions as a one-handed device. For one-handed use, the 3.5-4.0 devices are still optimal because they were designed with human interface in mind, not screen size.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Based on using a device with one hand (or even one finger), the 3.5"-4.0" iPhones were the perfect size. Most everyone could use those devices with one hand. That people now want "bigger" doesn't mean that they are better devices. The Plus is a different kind of device, and to me calling it an "iPhone" is just a branding decision and because it makes phone calls. But it no longer functions as a one-handed device. For one-handed use, the 3.5-4.0 devices are still optimal because they were designed with human interface in mind, not screen size.
The only reason the phone was 3.5 was because that was the only size screen they could do. It is far to small for today's standards. even the iPhone 5 was just a stretched out phone. 4.7 is the sweet spot for one handed use, unless you are an elf.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Perhaps Walter Isaacson was confused about the Apple TV?

jobs_1955_2011_zps2bffcd0d.jpg

Photographer: Hey Steve, I want you to pose as if you're thinking intently... Y'know, dreaming up something big.

S.J ...My god, I've cracked it.

Photographer: You've done what now?

Last edited:

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Steve's legacy died when Tim said "One more thing"...he didn't say it the way Steve did! :eek:

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
"...and I'm going to continue to mock his legacy with such awful products as iOS 8, iWatch, and a bendable phone the size of a brick."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.