Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I normally keep my phone on charge most ofthe time;is this a bad thing and will it affect the battery?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
There is nothing wrong with that. With a standard battery, yes. With lithium ion batteries, no.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
It should be fine but every now and again just let it run down completely. Once a month should do it.

Alex

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
depends on the amount of heat created. I'm not intimately familiar with these batteries to know how much heat is created. Slower charging is better as it creates lower heat levels but I'm sure some of the newer batteries that are meant to be fast-charged have technology that accounts for it. Heat is what kills batteries, not cold.

Panasonic has an Eco Mode on their laptops that charges them to 80% and holds there. The reason is that the last 20% creates the most heat. The last 20% can be charged in less than 30 minutes. Using this makes a HUGE Difference. I have a 2007 laptop that still lasts 8hrs on the original battery because of this. Most laptop batteries don't last that long.

Even Maha batteries for my rechargeable system suggest using low and slow charging. Not only is it better for the battery life but you'll get a deeper longer lasting charge.

Not that any of the above matters here, but worth knowing. Personally, I keep my Note 3 on a charger base when in my office as I'm usually streaming, using the hot-spot, etc. and have had no issues.

In the end, you won't likely keep the phone beyond its battery life anyway thus why I really don't care much about removable batteries on cell phones.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
About one to two hours. I'd wake up and watch YouTube on it then take it off charge and use it in the bathroom and eat breakfast then put it back on charge and watch TV (not streamed) on my phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
About one to two hours. I'd wake up and watch YouTube on it then take it off charge and use it in the bathroom and eat breakfast then put it back on charge and watch TV (not streamed) on my phone.

You are completely fine with that usage pattern. If you use wireless charging it can get hot. That would be my only concern.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
is keeping your phone on charge all the time OK?

Lithium batteries have memory cells in which a user should occasionally put through its paces. I usually let my device get down to anywhere around 10-15% before I give it a full uninterrupted charge.

And like one poster said earlier, give it a full discharge once every 1-2 months; these steps will keep your battery healthy.

Edit: this goes without saying but also try to always keep the device in a cool areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.