Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccfan007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
So I've recently cancelled my Pre-Order through AT&T (6+ 64gb silver) and now have the option to buy the phone I want either through Apple.com or wait for the Apple Store to have it in stock. Which seems to be the better choice?

The reason I ask is recently I've seen a lot of people claiming they have ordered through the apple website and are receiving their phones within days of their recent orders. I've also seen people say they have been able to buy their phones in the store when the stock becomes available.

I obviously want to choose the easiest quicker way to get my phone but don't know which to wait for lol. Any advise is great! Thanks.

brokenarrow184

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I want to hear opinions too. I currently don't have one preordered and have been watching store stock like crazy. I feel like maybe I just order with Apple and relax but when will it get here? I read that some that ordered sept 12th still haven't got theirs but some who ordered in the last few days are receiving shipping notifications..

----------

I also know if I order from Apple itll lock up my upgrade eligibility and if I see one in the store I won't be able to buy it cause my upgrade eligibility will be locked. I've canceled 3 other preorders and the last 2 took multiple calls and several days to reset.

JeremyE

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
I ordered a SG Plus 64GB on Verizon 9/19 and estimate of 10/20 at the earliest. I know it's not AT&T.

It seems people are getting really lucky with their shipments, some at least, yet I never see picture proof though..

As for Apple store stock, it varies so much, and even when it comes available sometimes you have to instantly jump on it.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Order online and avoid the hassle of watching store stock and lines at the store. My brother ordered last week and his delivery date was sometime next week. It arrived last night.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If you can wait just order from apple.com, but if you want it sooner then you can wait and for it to become available. You can use istocknow.com and keep checking for the availabilities.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I cancelled my ATT order for my 6 Plus because they were giving me a late November delivery date. That was after I saw the models I wanted for in-store p/u at Apple. I was going to buy it in another state that had them available and have it mailed to me but I lucked up and got it in my town.

So it'll be a crap shoot to try to get it for in-store p/u though it's not impossible. The 6 shouldn't be much of a problem but the 6 Plus may give you a couple of challenges.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Order online at Apple.com - hunt for phones at store and using the site floating around - then when you get one cancel the online order.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
Online ... a 6 + is almost impossible to find here in Italy and the situation will be like this for weeks, while I'm getting the one I ordered at the Apple Online Store next Tuesday ... :p

brokenarrow184

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Problem with att is if you've already canceled once with att and u now order with Apple you'll just have to wait till it ships, because if u see one pop up in a store your eligibility won't reset in time for u to buy it. I've canceled 3 different orders and my second order thru Apple took a couple phone calls and it reset the next day.

cypressc

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Austin, TX
Wait in line!

I got a 128gb Grey 6-plus yesterday. They are out there. And with idevicechecker and istocknow, it's never been easier.

And if waiting in a line is just too much, you might as well wait anyway, because ordering online is what, 3-4 weeks?

In two weeks, these phones will be readily available. Pretty much every new iPhone is impossible to get for a few weeks. And then, by early October the supple starts catching up. Apple is simply cranking out too many a day for there to be shortages for long, even with a more globalized marketplace.

circa7

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
Wait in line!

I got a 128gb Grey 6-plus yesterday. They are out there. And with idevicechecker and istocknow, it's never been easier.

And if waiting in a line is just too much, you might as well wait anyway, because ordering online is what, 3-4 weeks?

In two weeks, these phones will be readily available. Pretty much every new iPhone is impossible to get for a few weeks. And then, by early October the supple starts catching up. Apple is simply cranking out too many a day for there to be shortages for long, even with a more globalized marketplace.

EVERY time I've seen an "in stock" phone on either of those sites, my local stores have NOT been in stock. Not sure where theyre getting their data but for Northern California at least, its bogus.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
I'd go with the in store option. If You really scour it shouldn't be more than a week until you get one.

brokenarrow184

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
EVERY time I've seen an "in stock" phone on either of those sites, my local stores have NOT been in stock. Not sure where theyre getting their data but for Northern California at least, its bogus.

I agree with u, as far as Target and BestBuy goes. Saw the Plus I wanted was available on istocknow at Target so I called them and they laughed. Same happened with BB.

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Order in store. I tried to preorder from At&t the first day and had a late october-november date. Waited for apple to update the in stock list and secured one the next day at Apple waiting 2 hours in line. Great thing was that they made sure they had what you wanted while you waited in line.

Maggiep67

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014

It's fairly accurate. I scored a 6 plus from Arden Fair Tuesday and picked it up the next day.

I have noticed a pattern with the No CA stores; most of their stock updates between 2:00 - 4:00 every day. That's when I got mine.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's fairly accurate. I scored a 6 plus from Arden Fair Tuesday and picked it up the next day.

I have noticed a pattern with the No CA stores; most of their stock updates between 2:00 - 4:00 every day. That's when I got mine.
Seems around the same for SoCal. That said, I think there might be a slight delay from when the stores inventory the shipment to when the info posts on the website. I was at the mall yesterday to consolidate our Verizon devices and decided to check out the Apple Stores at Americana and Galleria (and check out the 6 in the process). I believe both received shipment around 12-2pm. I had an alert setup from istocknow for the 6+ 128GB and I didn't get the email alerts until around 4:30pm. That said, they really were available for pickup when I checked Apple website. Alas, doing Next so pickup isn't an option.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Wait in store! You'll get it faster, unless you don't care when you get it.

mjb59463

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2012
Apple stores are largely luck of the draw for now inventory, while apple.com's wait times are 3-4 weeks for plus models. If you order from Apple.com it's guaranteed, but if you get lucky at the store, it is certainly quicker.

I was in the same predicament, and decided to order from Apple.com. I decided rather have my specific order a little later than running around from store to store trying to find what I want (which might not happen for a while either).

Just my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.