Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

localmotion89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
Hi

I am new to the forum, hoping to find help with an older macbook pro. I think its 2008, before the unibody models. The screen cracked on it, and I bought a screen to replace it, following directions I found online.

After putting in the new screen. It only starts up correctly every now and then, maybe 1 out of 20 tries. When it doesn't start up correctly, it freezes at the apple screen with a pinwheel, very distorted picture (see attachment).

Any help with what could be the problem? Graphics card? Hard drive?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Bump for some help please :)

If you have a 2008 model, you could very well have the dreaded 8600GT problem. Those graphics card like to die out on people, there was even a recall for them which ended back in 2012.

The only way to fix it is a new logic board, which costs more than the computer is worth.

localmotion89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
If you have a 2008 model, you could very well have the dreaded 8600GT problem. Those graphics card like to die out on people, there was even a recall for them which ended back in 2012.

The only way to fix it is a new logic board, which costs more than the computer is worth.

Thanks snaky69, so there is no chance that Apple will do something about it anymore? If apple won't do anything about it, what are the chances that I can sell it, or part it out. I just replaced the screen and bought a new 85w charger for it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks snaky69, so there is no chance that Apple will do something about it anymore? If apple won't do anything about it, what are the chances that I can sell it, or part it out. I just replaced the screen and bought a new 85w charger for it.

You may get extremely lucky and get a genius that's in a good mood that'll replace it either free or with the $300 or so flat rate (which is less expensive than the actual board).

You can always try and sell it for parts, though it's probably not the most popular model for that, it's getting quite old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.