Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haziza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Sweden
Is there any difference between charging via usb or wall socket?
I know that the wall socket is a lot faster but dose the battery benefit from charging slower via usb ports maybe?

I have the new Iphone 6 and i wanna keep this precious phone perfect! :)

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
An Apple PC with USB 3.0 ports or any 2.1 amp charger like an iPad charger will give you a faster recharge rate but theoretically would reduce the battery life. (but it would be so minimal that it's not really worth stressing about)

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
An Apple PC with USB 3.0 ports or any 2.1 amp charger like an iPad charger will give you a faster recharge rate but theoretically would reduce the battery life. (but it would be so minimal that it's not really worth stressing about)

Sorry, but this is 100% wrong. AC chargers don't "push" electricity. The device being charged draws it. So if the power source can supply a higher current, they will recharge faster. That's why recharging via the tiny 5W charger takes longer than the 12W iPad charger. The 12W can supply more current.

This has no effect on the health of your battery.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Sorry, but this is 100% wrong. AC chargers don't "push" electricity. The device being charged draws it. So if the power source can supply a higher current, they will recharge faster. That's why recharging via the tiny 5W charger takes longer than the 12W iPad charger. The 12W can supply more current.

This has no effect on the health of your battery.

ya it does, slower recharge prolongs the battery life over the years.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'd suggest to use the wall socket because you are going to let the Apple charger do the job, and it's a quite high quality component. But if you need to charge via usb from time to time, it's absolutely fine and it won't influence the battery life.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Is this a trick question? They are both USB. What is meant by "USB" when not speaking of the wall charger?

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
ya it does, slower recharge prolongs the battery life over the years.

I'm not going to get into a forum pissing match over this, but that is completely inaccurate.

Look at Apple's battery page:

"Your Apple lithium-ion battery uses fast charging to quickly reach 80% of its capacity, then switches to slower trickle charging. The amount of time it takes to reach that first 80% will vary depending on your settings and which device you’re charging. This combined process not only lets you get out and about sooner, it also extends the lifespan of your battery."

Using a 12 watt charger or a 5 watt charger makes NO difference. The battery will charge as fast as it can depending on how much current is being supplied to it.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I've always used my Uspeed 7-port USB 3.0 HUB (which is connected to the iMac) and the USB 2.0 on a pc at work to charge my iPhone 5 and it still works perfectly fine ... I must have lost the wall socket, I don't even know where is it anymore ... :p

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Batteries in general, it's better to use a lower amperage whenever possible. This reduces heat produced. But the difference in overheating from 0.5, to 1 or 2A isn't going to affect the iPhone battery enough over its lifetime. Just use which ever is more convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.