Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FigmentNewtonII

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I've been thinking about upgrading my Mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro to a SSD but also keep my current harddrive in as well. Of course, this would require me to remove the optical drive which isn't a problem. However, if I got through with putting a SSD in, should I put it where the harddrive currently lives or put it where the optical drive is? I've heard that some models of Macbooks (pros) don't get the full transfer speed of the sata connection when on the optical drives line.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for SSDs? I've been looking at Samsung's EVOs, but some people have been retracting their opinions on them. So I'm now a bit unsure.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I did this with a 2011 15" MBP. I had the HDD in the optical bay and the SSD in the regular bay. The regular bay had SATA III speed whereas the optical bay only had SATA II speed.

This worked for me. You'll know when you have it connected, you can check out the 'negotiated link speed' in the system information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.