Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I'll admit it, I was a denier. I believed that the only phones bending were the + and from being put in a back pocket. Well yesterday I noticed my 6 was bent. I've had it not even a week, and have babied it. It was kept in a case. I also don't wear skinny jeans, just normal. I keep my phone screen in, yet it bent outwards. Also note from the picture that it bent on the volume side not the power button, showing that its a weak point.

I don't know what to do. Obviously I can get an exchange (Bought from Verizon), but do I want that? This is a wider spread problem than Apple or anyone is making it seem, so I don't want to keep going through replacements. I'm pretty disappointed in Apple.

At this point I'm tempted to get an android, maybe a Moto X2 or HTC One M8. This is just unacceptable and I don't see it being fixed. What would y'all do?

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,608
  • IMG_0008_2.JPG
    IMG_0008_2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 800

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
what do you want us to tell you?
whatever you did to bend it was your fault. its the equivalent if you dropped your phone and cracked your screen.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You bent an iPhone 6 on accident and mention Android in the same post? Prepare yourself for the wrath of the most powerful rabid Apple fans you've ever seen.

Sorry about your phone. What kind of can did you keep it in?

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Return and buy Moto 2, or plain iphone 6 or something . I mean, you can't live with the fear that your phone will bend. Right?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I don't know what to do. Obviously I can get an exchange (Bought from Verizon), but do I want that? This is a wider spread problem than Apple or anyone is making it seem, so I don't want to keep going through replacements. I'm pretty disappointed in Apple.

At this point I'm tempted to get an android, maybe a Moto X2 or HTC One M8. This is just unacceptable and I don't see it being fixed. What would y'all do?

In answer to your first question "do I want that?", I cannot help you.

In answer to your second question "what would y'all do?", I would get it replaced and not do the same things that caused it to bend in the first place.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Clearly, using your new iPhone daily and putting it in your front pocket isn't normal use. You're using it wrong.

/sarcasm

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
If it happened to me and I genuinely did not know how it happened during normal careful use, I would exchange it, sell the new one on eBay, and buy a 5s.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
What now? Prepare yourself for some backlash and out right denial of the inherent engineering weakness of the latest generation iPhones.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
You guys are really still trying to defend Apple? As mentioned, I've done nothing to bend the phone. Don't even compare this to cracking a screen. I put the phone in my pocket. What am I supposed to do, carry it in a purse now? I like Apple products (I have a macbook air, iPad air, and have had numerous iPhones) but the way some of you guys blindly defend Apple is disgusting.

This isn't an isolated issue. I see numerous posts each day from people saying their iPhone bent from normal use. I see it on here, reddit, and other apple forums.

Do I really want a phone that I have to hope doesn't bend from being in my damn pocket? What if Apple stops replacing these under warranty?

EDIT: I appreciate seeing those acknowledging Apple's issues. We should expect better from a company that makes premium products and charges accordingly.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I'll admit it, I was a denier. I believed that the only phones bending were the + and from being put in a back pocket. Well yesterday I noticed my 6 was bent. I've had it not even a week, and have babied it. It was kept in a case. I also don't wear skinny jeans, just normal. I keep my phone screen in, yet it bent outwards. Also note from the picture that it bent on the volume side not the power button, showing that its a weak point.

No, it's not a common problem. You might want to check out the recent Consumer Reports test results on the alleged "bendy" iPhones. The HTC One M8 is weaker than the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011

toxicity033

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
i think at this point anyone who is still trying to defend apple and blaming owners is clearly delusional.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
OP, take it in and exchange it. Then use it how you use it.

I have the 6, in an Incipio Edge. Keep in my front jeans pocket.

Will it bend? I don't know. If it does, it does, and I will deal with it accordingly.
But I won't stress out about that until it happens.
Is it possible I could get into a car accident? Yes. But I won't drive like I'm afraid for my life.

Now yours did bend. For whatever reason. Get it exchanged and live your life.

Do I think the whole bending thing is a it of hyperbole? Sure. Do I think it exists? Yes.
But everyone needs to relax. it's just a phone. Albiet, an expensive one, but still just a phone.

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
if you don't want to bend it, don't sit with it in your pocket, whether front or back. Put in your shirt pocket, or put it in a holster. It's a big phone. You need to adjust.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
i think at this point anyone who is still trying to defend apple and blaming owners is clearly delusional.

How so? Tests outside of Apple have credible results. Believing someone on the internet seems a bit more of a stretch in my opinion. I'm not saying they are not telling the truth but for the burden is on them.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013

The best Android smartphone out there right now is the Xperia Z3 (imo). Too bad it's T-Mo only. For Verizon get the new Moto X or wait a bit for the Droid Turbo.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
if you don't want to bend it, don't sit with it in your pocket, whether front or back. Put in your shirt pocket, or put it in a holster. It's a big phone. You need to adjust.

The 4.7" is really not that big at all. It shouldn't bend in a front pocket while sitting unless the pocket was insanely tight.

finnftw

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012

I was just about to post this exact thing. Unbelievable how these fanboys are blind to any of Apple's issues. In their eyes Apple can do no wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.