Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I'll keep this brief.

Two weeks ago I got the iPhone 6, and six months ago I got the S5. Here are my quick impressions on some key areas.

Screen:

The iPhone 6 screen is way more usable outdoors, and looks about as sharp as the S5 despite the iPhone having lower resolution and PPI. The auto brightness feature works better on iPhone 6.

In terms of contrast and blacks, the S5 wins because of AMOLED but it's not as dramatic as you'd think. For LCD iPhone 6 blacks are better than S5 whites. The iPhone is on the coolish side, but there is an evident blueish haze on S5 whites.

The bigger S5 screen does games and video more justice, and the larger screen + higher resolution means more content on the screen at any given time.

Sound:

The S5 DAC does better with headphones of all makes, even Apple's. The universal and adjustable EQ helps. Since I am using headphones all the time in the gym, when running, and biking, this is important.

The iPhone has a better speaker. Louder, punchier, clearer.

Build and feel:

LOL not even close. The iPhone 6 feels and looks like the better product.

UI Experience:

iOS 8 just flows smoother, nicer and in a more appealing away. This does not men S5 Touchwiz is slow or lag.s It just feels less refined and chunkier.

iOS 8 has better lock screen notifications.

iOS is not all that simple. Enabling extensions and app to app access is not all that intuitive, where android has this all baked in, so it's just easier.

Camera:

The iPhone 6 camera is better. Clarity, details, color accuracy, shutter speed, interface simplicity.

However the difference is not HUGE expect when we are talking lowlight, where the iPhone does a better job overall.

Battery life:

S5 wins by an hour on average during my average daily use, iPhone is a 10 hour life, and S5 is an 11-12 hour phone not counting ultra power save.

Lifestyle product:

The more iPhone's compact body, Siri, iCloud, Touch ID, full headphone aftermarket support, health tracking apps and ecosystem with my Mac and wife's iPhone 5 just makes it a better lifestyle product for me.

There can be only one...

The iPhone 6 was returned and the S5 stayed.

Why?

iOS 8 is half baked. Limited widget and extensions means the iPhone 6 is hamstrung out the box.

Apple Pay is not functional yet.

No iWatch.

Handoff is still a bit dodgy.

iCloud drive's interface still doesn't make as much sense as Dropbox.

Swiftkey and keyboards don't work right.

In the end there isn't a huge enough reason for me to change in terms of what I do day in and day out. Not enough for me to incur the additional AT&T monthly NEXT costs at least.

So yes, I think the iPhone 6 is the better all around product, but RIGHT NOW, going with the iPhone 6 is a downgrade because iOS 8 is half baked and poorly supported by Devs.

I wasn't too happy about losing dual apps on the screen either. That's a lot of extra iPhone screen with not many new ways to use it. I felt blind on the iPhone because all the widgets I normally use on android aren't on iOS yet and actually opening App's to see my feeds was slow and tedious.

I'll be revisiting the iPhone 6 once the Apple Watch drops. Thats a few months from now so hopefully by then devs will have it together and kinks will be ironed out.

For now I will stick with my Samsung S5.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Your notes about the camera were interesting, since I saw a video that clearly showed the S5 performing better in low light. Otherwise, I agree with your view mostly, if I had to pick between the 2 I would probably go S5 because of the bigger screen however I'm not too impressed with its performance... It's passable I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNAHv-E1HWU

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
I'll keep this brief.

Two weeks ago I got the iPhone 6, and six months ago I got the S5. Here are my quick impressions on some key areas.

Screen:

The iPhone 6 screen is way more usable outdoors, and looks about as sharp as the S5 despite the iPhone having lower resolution and PPI. The auto brightness feature works better on iPhone 6.

In terms of contrast and blacks, the S5 wins because of AMOLED but it's not as dramatic as you'd think. For LCD iPhone 6 blacks are better than S5 whites. The iPhone is on the coolish side, but there is an evident blueish haze on S5 whites.

The bigger S5 screen does games and video more justice, and the larger screen + higher resolution means more content on the screen at any given time.

Sound:

The S5 DAC does better with headphones of all makes, even Apple's. The universal and adjustable EQ helps. Since I am using headphones all the time in the gym, when running, and biking, this is important.

The iPhone has a better speaker. Louder, punchier, clearer.

Build and feel:

LOL not even close. The iPhone 6 feels and looks like the better product.

UI Experience:

iOS 8 just flows smoother, nicer and in a more appealing away. This does not men S5 Touchwiz is slow or lag.s It just feels less refined and chunkier.

iOS 8 has better lock screen notifications.

iOS is not all that simple. Enabling extensions and app to app access is not all that intuitive, where android has this all baked in, so it's just easier.

Camera:

The iPhone 6 camera is better. Clarity, details, color accuracy, shutter speed, interface simplicity.

However the difference is not HUGE expect when we are talking lowlight, where the iPhone does a better job overall.

Battery life:

S5 wins by an hour on average during my average daily use, iPhone is a 10 hour life, and S5 is an 11-12 hour phone not counting ultra power save.

Lifestyle product:

The more iPhone's compact body, Siri, iCloud, Touch ID, full headphone aftermarket support, health tracking apps and ecosystem with my Mac and wife's iPhone 5 just makes it a better lifestyle product for me.

There can be only one...

The iPhone 6 was returned and the S5 stayed.

Why?

iOS 8 is half baked. Limited widget and extensions means the iPhone 6 is hamstrung out the box.

Apple Pay is not functional yet.

No iWatch.

Handoff is still a bit dodgy.

iCloud drive's interface still doesn't make as much sense as Dropbox.

Swiftkey and keyboards don't work right.

In the end there isn't a huge enough reason for me to change in terms of what I do day in and day out. Not enough for me to incur the additional AT&T monthly NEXT costs at least.

So yes, I think the iPhone 6 is the better all around product, but RIGHT NOW, going with the iPhone 6 is a downgrade because iOS 8 is half baked and poorly supported by Devs.

I wasn't too happy about losing dual apps on the screen either. That's a lot of extra iPhone screen with not many new ways to use it. I felt blind on the iPhone because all the widgets I normally use on android aren't on iOS yet and actually opening App's to see my feeds was slow and tedious.

I'll be revisiting the iPhone 6 once the Apple Watch drops. Thats a few months from now so hopefully by then devs will have it together and kinks will be ironed out.

For now I will stick with my Samsung S5.

I totally agree.

The iPhone is a great device, but we are not in 2011 anymore. Android has improved a lot, and the 6s with iOS8 are not a big step forward.

Now, if you just want to Instagram/Snapchat, then the story is different.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Your notes about the camera were interesting, since I saw a video that clearly showed the S5 performing better in low light. Otherwise, I agree with your view mostly, if I had to pick between the 2 I would probably go S5 because of the bigger screen however I'm not too impressed with its performance... It's passable I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNAHv-E1HWU

In bold, that's pretty much where I am with the S5. It does everything I need well enough. I'm not all bowled over, or enthralled, but I'm "okay" but it's competence and "passable" performance in most areas.

If I didn't already have an S5, say I was upgrading from an iPhone 5S or earlier, it's a no brainer. But is the iPhone 6 worth any additional expense to replace the S5? Right now, no. Ask me again in 6 months though.

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I actually like iPhone's hardware quality. Everything from the design (6 isn't my fav but still good and ergonomical), display, camera, sound quality, and yes even battery life. I still love Apple's hardware components.

My only real disdain? iOS/iTunes

Apple's software represents their philosophy everything that I don't AGREE with from them. Claustrophobic. I don't need ecosystems. That term didn't even exist until Apple came along with iTunes. Apple continues to be the biggest CONTROL FREAK in the industry and I don't see that changing drastically anytime soon.

I wish Apple can listen to The Woz and go make us an Android iPhone. They can dual boot it too for both iOS & Android. Yeah, like when hell freezes over. The closest thing I can get out of that is a dual booting Android/Windows Phone. I get the flexibility, hardware, and apps from Android with the smoother, slicker, better WP games, superior camera quality, and efficiency of a Nokia Windows Phone.

But Google and Microsoft don't like to play nice to each other. For now, Android+Windows Phone seems to be a great combo if you like carrying two phones like me since an Android iPhone will never exist. Dual booting can LESSEN all the debates and dilemmas but would decrease cash flow for them since they lose differentiation and exclusivity. It would be like asking Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to all team up and make us ONE SUPER CONSOLE. Not happening.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I totally agree.

The iPhone is a great device, but we are not in 2011 anymore. Android has improved a lot, and the 6s with iOS8 are not a big step forward.

Now, if you just want to Instagram/Snapchat, then the story is different.

Again, this is ignorance on your part. With both my Nexus 4 and when I had my iPhone 2(3)years ago I do the same things:
-Call people
-text
-Listen to music
-Web browse
-Check my emails, respond to some.
-Check flipboard, G+,NZ Herald
- My carrier's app
-Share pics
-Upload pics to Safari(Came with iOS 6 I believe?)
-Create Reminders with the built in apps(Reminders, Google Keep)

I only got a Nexus 4 for the bigger display, it was way cheaper, I was bored with iOS and the app sharing(which isn't fully fixed with iOS 8)

I doubt I'm the only person that uses my phone like this. I don't care about third party keyboards or widgets. I really don't.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Again, this is ignorance on your part. With both my Nexus 4 and when I had my iPhone 2(3)years ago I do the same things:
-Call people
-text
-Listen to music
-Web browse
-Check my emails, respond to some.
-Check flipboard, G+,NZ Herald
- My carrier's app
-Share pics
-Upload pics to Safari(Came with iOS 6 I believe?)
-Create Reminders with the built in apps(Reminders, Google Keep)

I only got a Nexus 4 for the bigger display, it was way cheaper, I was bored with iOS and the app sharing(which isn't fully fixed with iOS 8)

I doubt I'm the only person that uses my phone like this. I don't care about third party keyboards or widgets. I really don't.

What you do with the phone is perfect. We all do that, but some like to do even more. That's what I meant when I said "Now, if you just want to Instagram/Snapchat, then the story is different."

Where is my ignorance?

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
In actuality the iPhone 5s is the perfect phone for me. Easy to use, Good speakers I like to work out at home, email, text, call, quick browsing, score checking, quick video watching. When I want to do more things like watching full length video or time altered tasks I use my iPad or laptop. Fear of being left out or moving to the next big thing or upgrade when available is a normal human feeling. I succumb to this naturally even if it isn't a necessity due to my upgrade being up or even if just a reward to myself. I still feel the 6 is an ok upgrade, size of screen to me after 4 inches is not a deal breaker... I'm one of those.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
In bold, that's pretty much where I am with the S5. It does everything I need well enough. I'm all bowled over, or enthralled, but I'm "okay" but it's competence and "passable" performance in most areas.

If I didn't already have an S5, say I was upgrading from an iPhone 5S or earlier, it's a no brainer. But is the iPhone 6 worth any additional expense to replace the S5? Right now, no. Ask me again in 6 months though.
This isn't directed at you specifically, but I am finding it ironic that the tide of opinion is slanting from iOS being the polished, ''just works'' OS and Android being the laggy, unpolished mess to the other way around now after iOS 8's release.

Google has slowly and methodically improved the look and feel of the OS to work on many devices and I think it is paying off now. Apple seems to be struggling for some reason here in the early days of iOS8. I'm not worried though, as I know it will get better and devs will update apps quickly to fix issues.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
What you do with the phone is perfect. We all do that, but some like to do even more. That's what I meant when I said "Now, if you just want to Instagram/Snapchat, then the story is different."

Where is my ignorance?

My apologies, I misread your post.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
This isn't directed at you specifically, but I am finding it ironic that the tide of opinion is slanting from iOS being the polished, ''just works'' OS and Android being the laggy, unpolished mess to the other way around now after iOS 8's release.

Google has slowly and methodically improved the look and feel of the OS to work on many devices and I think it is paying off now. Apple seems to be struggling for some reason here in the early days of iOS8. I'm not worried though, as I know it will get better and devs will update apps quickly to fix issues.

I think it's a couple of issues. The main for me though is iOS 8 has options that are not supported enough to matter at this time. Everything is half-baked or non-existent or irrelevant if you are buying an iPhone today.

iOS 8 is basically crippled by poor support and hatched features that don't work yet This is going to take months to sort out. Until it is sorted I may as well stay with my S5.

I see the potential, but it's clear the devs and even Apple need to catch up.

I'll be back to Apple in 6 months.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I kinda like how the OP admitted the iPhone 6 is the BETTER product but stuck with the platform he prefers.

If I ranked it,

1. Sony Xperia Z3/Z3C
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 4
3. HTC One M8
4. OnePlus One
5. Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus

S5 wouldn't even rank in my Top 5. But look at the competition. LG G3, Sony Xperia Z2/Z1C, Motorola Moto X (2014), Samsung Galaxy Alpha, Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, Oppo Find 7/7a, Xiaomi Mi 4, Meizu MX4, Nokia Lumia 930, HTC Butterfly 2, HTC Desire Eye, etc. Google Nexus X hasn't been announced yet. Even iPhone 6 just barely makes my Top 5. The gap is small between all of them. Even Moto G (2014), Xiaomi Redmi 1s/Note, and Asus Zenfone 5 make very good choices for the sub-$200 market.

But while I think Sony might have best phones, I still do believe Samsung is the better brand over most of them.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I agree, widgets and extensions are a mess right now on ios to the point were I know quite a few people that are not aware of any of the new features in the new update.

Everything is sort of hiding and what should be simple settings are buried.

I'm waiting for my 6 plus (almost November delivery) but I don't know if it's worth it now that they finally offer the big screen :( maybe it's too late but I'm just not excited anymore.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I agree, widgets and extensions are a mess right now on ios to the point were I know quite a few people that are not aware of any of the new features in the new update.

Everything is sort of hiding and what should be simple settings are buried.

I'm waiting for my 6 plus (almost November delivery) but I don't know if it's worth it now that they finally offer the big screen :( maybe it's too late but I'm just not excited anymore.
Think of it this way. While you wait, developers will start upgrading apps!

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM

:D I hope, right now the only widget i have enabled is for the 'Data man' app :) simple and looks great.

I just wish Apple have plans for the big guy, would be a shame if they offered the 6 plus just for the sake of a bigger screen.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
:D I hope, right now the only widget i have enabled is for the 'Data man' app :) simple and looks great.

I just wish Apple have plans for the big guy, would be a shame if they offered the 6 plus just for the sake of a bigger screen.

Messed with one today an compared it to my Nexus 4. I would buy the 6+ due to it's screen size alone! Phablets are awesome, and it helps Apple decided to add that horizontal view(which was pretty cool as well) all in all, I was very impressed with the 6+ and saw no lag at all, plus that 1080P display is just gorgeous!

I think you will like it.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Why wait for half baked solution to mature when you already have all these (plus more) fully working on android with superior hardware and at cheaper price?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Why wait for half baked solution to mature when you already have all these (plus more) fully working on android with superior hardware and at cheaper price?

Ummm, no.

Let me further explain: Hell no.

I have a rMBP and I want the iCloud features, I also don't have high demands for a phone(I outlined what I do in another thread I believe) and the iPhone will suffice just fine. Superior specs mean shitall to me since my Nexus 4 which gets blown away by todays standards, still performs incredibly well.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks, good to read a balanced and considered assessment without the exaggerations that many are so prone to here!

I'm personally not holding the 6 Plus as an alternative because of the half-baked state of iOS 8 that you mention. But neither will the Note 4 be a perfect phone. If we could only have the best of both worlds...

If I could have the build and design quality of the iPhone, coupled with the smoothness and coherence of design of iOS, and the versatility of Android - that would be the dream situation. And in terms of phablet design, if the 6 Plus could just have the footprint to screen size ratio of the Note 4. Oh, and SD card storage is pretty nice too.

Another gripe I have with iOS is that Apple have put so little effort into their Notes app. Taking notes of all sorts is one of the things I most use my smartphone for, every single day. Here, Google have come up with Keep which not only looks good but is also very versatile and fun to use, and which has a browser interface which really mirrors the phone interface in a superb way. Whereas Apple only has their sorry Notes app which can't handle anything but basic text input and which looks like the ugly stepchild which they completely forgot about when upgrading the look of iOS with version 7. And the iCloud browser interface is very clunky too. (Evernote is not an alternative, far too crammed with stuff and not straightforward enough.)

Keep + the well functioning and incredibly dynamic 3d party keyboards (Swype is my preference, because of that superb cut/copy/paste functionality) is what above all keeps me on Android at the moment. I'm surprised that Apple have not come up with an even more elegant solution of their own, for such a core smartphone function.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Ummm, no.

Let me further explain: Hell no.

I have a rMBP and I want the iCloud features, I also don't have high demands for a phone(I outlined what I do in another thread I believe) and the iPhone will suffice just fine. Superior specs mean shitall to me since my Nexus 4 which gets blown away by todays standards, still performs incredibly well.

So maybe for what you need a Nexus 4 may suffice. Why then you want to pay ridiculous price for an iPhone that does less? For people that are not die hard apple fans this logic is just mind boggling.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
So maybe for what you need a Nexus 4 may suffice. Why then you want to pay ridiculous price for an iPhone that does less? For people that are not die hard apple fans this logic is just mind boggling.

Maybe you weren't reading, but iCloud, continuity, handoffs, iMessage. I've also spent over 3-400 dollars in apps and music from the App Store and now that Apple has a larger screened iPhone I shall go back. I choose the new iPhone because for me, it will be a good replacement.

Must I justify my choice, and therefore how I spend my money? I don't think I should have to.

When I get my 6+, I'll try and give a fair balanced view of both( I of course will take into account my Nexus 4 is no longer a flagship)

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Good review. wasn't expecting the ending but can understand your decision. I have both ios and android devices and as much as I try I can't go back to Ios on my phone. I took a look at the 6 and 6+ but all they are to me is just another iphone with a bigger/better screen. Underneath is still Ios and still (for me) has all the limitations that Ios always had. I love ios on my tablet - for me that works great but not on my phone.

I understand people who are heavily invested in apps and the apple world that ios makes so much sense for them and the 6/6+ would be a great upgrade for them.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Agree with this........Android L might further project this too.

----------

I think it's a couple of issues. The main for me though is iOS 8 has options that are not supported enough to matter at this time. Everything is half-baked or non-existent or irrelevant if you are buying an iPhone today.

iOS 8 is basically crippled by poor support and hatched features that don't work yet This is going to take months to sort out. Until it is sorted I may as well stay with my S5.

I see the potential, but it's clear the devs and even Apple need to catch up.

I'll be back to Apple in 6 months.

Thanks for the honest review. I know it was hard for you to go back to the GS5....you really wanted the IP6 to be your daily driver.
I see everything you mentioned about IOS8 as well. For me if i get tired of one OS....i pop in my sim to another phone switch for a week.
Right now I am switching back and forth between GS5 and IP6 and OPO........ But i have to narrow it done at some point. It gets a little confusing sometimes.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012

That's how I'm seeing it. In 6 months we will probably be seeing a different situation altogether.

Devs will have had more time to support the new features like extensions and widgets. Apple will have rolled out all the new services completely. iOS 8 kinks should be ironed out. Apple watch will be available. Yosemite will be launched.

Then it will make more sense to change out from the S5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.