Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St8kout

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2010
I have a non-cellular ipad2. It's been a really long time since I turned on wifi or connected to iTunes though my desktop usb.

I was just playing a Solitaire app trying to beat my record (55 seconds), when I kept getting interrupted by prompts to log into icloud, which I never use by the way. Yesterday, I got a prompt about the latest IOS update available.

How could my ipad possibly know about the new IOS update without being online or connected to iTunes for so long? I have the update on my iphone5 but never got around to connecting my ipad. Wifi and Bluetooth is off, and it does not have cellular capability. Could there be some internal clock expecting a new IOS after a certain amount of time?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Can you post a picture of the prompt?

I have an iPad 2 cellular which is always online (WiFi mostly) and I've never received any prompt from Apple telling me to update iOS.

Of course, if I got into settings and open the software update info, I'll get info about the latest update. But never any "prompt."

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I have a non-cellular ipad2. It's been a really long time since I turned on wifi or connected to iTunes though my desktop usb.

I was just playing a Solitaire app trying to beat my record (55 seconds), when I kept getting interrupted by prompts to log into icloud, which I never use by the way. Yesterday, I got a prompt about the latest IOS update available.

How could my ipad possibly know about the new IOS update without being online or connected to iTunes for so long? I have the update on my iphone5 but never got around to connecting my ipad. Wifi and Bluetooth is off, and it does not have cellular capability. Could there be some internal clock expecting a new IOS after a certain amount of time?

Are you sure no one else around you has used the iPad on the internet? Have you connected the iPad to iTunes lately? These are the only possibilities that I could think of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.