Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salmankhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hello my fellow macbuddies as the title hints who is going this time with full naked iphone meaning no screen protectors and no cases.
I have been using screen protectors on all of my previous iPhones (was never a fan of cases in btw) and not even a single time i have dropped my phone as i am usually very careful when it comes to my phone. The curved edges of iphone 6 is begging to be used and taken advantage off but the screen protectors destroy that very experience. So anyhow whos using their beloved apple beauties without screen protectors.

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
Hello my fellow macbuddies as the title hints who is going this time with full naked iphone meaning no screen protectors and no cases.
I have been using screen protectors on all of my previous iPhones (was never a fan of cases in btw) and not even a single time i have dropped my phone as i am usually very careful when it comes to my phone. The curved edges of iphone 6 is begging to be used and taken advantage off but the screen protectors destroy that very experience. So anyhow whos using their beloved apple beauties without screen protectors.

I have always used no screen protector...very good sensation and in my opinion not useful...
Always in a sleeve...
I think that the only problems are some very tiny hairline scratches to the antireflective coating... No noticeable at all....
I was thinking to go only with a case for the 6+ but I think that a sleeve would make her job better...

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
screen protection are useless as the screen is made of scratch-free material

adding a layer will only deteriorate the sensitiveness of the screen and will not prevent it from breaking when falling on the ground anyway

i've owned all iphone from the very first one, never put any screen protection so far

salmankhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
I have always used no screen protector...very good sensation and in my opinion not useful...
Always in a sleeve...
I think that the only problems are some very tiny hairline scratches to the antireflective coating... No noticeable at all....
I was thinking to go only with a case for the 6+ but I think that a sleeve would make her job better...

yes exactly.. the tiny hairline scratches u mentioned are of the oleophobic coating and its not the screen itself .. they r only visible under certain lightening conditions and they does not appear or are visible on the screen of the phone when you are using it

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO

adding a layer will only deteriorate the sensitiveness of the screen and will not prevent it from breaking when falling on the ground anyway

i've owned all iphone from the very first one, never put any screen protection so far

I'm sorry, but this is opinion & not fact.

Although the material used for the screen is the most scratch-resistant Apple has ever used...it is not scratch-free. And, there is no noticeable deterioration of touch sensitivity when using most screen protectors...especially the tempered glass ones. Thirdly, most tempered glass protectors will break upon a fall, but leave the phone screen unharmed in many if not most cases. That is their function.

That you've never used a protector, but have never had any kind of screen damage only means you were careful...and lucky.

salmankhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
iPhone 6 going all out naked

Like i mentioned earlier i have been using the screen protector on all of my previous iterations of iphone. And yes i have always ensured that i dont drop my iphone as to break its screen or whatnot. The thing here is that where i live we dont get phones on contract so the only option we have here is to pay full premium and buy an unlocked version. And i usually upgrade my iphone every year. The thing that makes me sad is that i never get the chance to use my previous iphones without screen protectors and in pristine conditions they r sold off at a lesser price only to be used by it next lucky owner. But this time keeping the above facts in my mind and also the curved edges of iphone 6 screen, i decided to use this beauty without any screen protector and enjoy my device till the 6s or whateva apple releases next year.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I was thinking about this but I can't do it. I'd at least need a skin on the back because these iPhone backs scratch pretty easy and I lay my phone on my desk a decent amount

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
all those going completely naked will be back in less than a week with a post asking whether or not they can add applecare+ to their busted-up phone ;)

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
yes exactly.. the tiny hairline scratches u mentioned are of the oleophobic coating and its not the screen itself .. they r only visible under certain lightening conditions and they does not appear or are visible on the screen of the phone when you are using it

The scratches on my iPhone 5 say otherwise. Definitely visible when in use.

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
We now not only scared it will be scratched, but also whether it will be bended.. So a case is a must for the phone...

respectabilia

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
The Apple leather case is just good enough that you can easily attach and remove it. Means that you can take the case off at home and enjoy the phone and put the case on when leaving the house and enjoy the case.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
The Apple leather case is just good enough that you can easily attach and remove it. Means that you can take the case off at home and enjoy the phone and put the case on when leaving the house and enjoy the case.

Some Terrible FACTS: Most accidents happen within 10 miles of home. Almost every iPhone has been broken within 10 feet of it's owner. 99% of broken iPhones have been broken AFTER manufacture.

;)

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
what types of sports do you play while using your iphone?

I'm a skateboarder, so mostly hucking myself down stairs, gaps, and handrails.
iPhone holds up well in a case. I'm using the Apple silicone case now. I usually put it in my front pocket behind my wallet too so it gets pretty solid protection.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Some Terrible FACTS: Most accidents happen within 10 miles of home. Almost every iPhone has been broken within 10 feet of it's owner. 99% of broken iPhones have been broken AFTER manufacture.

;)

I was about to go in on why these facts are the absolute worsts. Then I re-read everything before the colon.

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
never was a fan of cases, and none of my phones ever had one.
BUT i'm considering buying one for the 6 because i feel like it's easier for it to slip outta my hands

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

First of all the glass is NOT scratch free but scratch resistant. They are NOT the same thing. There is no way to prevent scratches no matter how carefull you are and you will get scratches even if only hairline ones. As for screen protectors being useless that's your opinion and not one shared by everyone. Personally I think it's worthwhile having one and doesn't deter in the least from the experience of using the phone compared to having no screen saver.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Naked with AC+ (buy with AMEX for extra protection if you want).

IF I damage it, drop it, go swimming with it, whatever... $79 and it's cosmetically new again (twice even!).

In the meantime I get to enjoy the phone exactly as Apple intended. There's a reason Apple doesn't sell "Apple Screen Protectors". I actually like the leather cases, but still prefer going naked anyway.

Nothing better than that finely crafted device in your hands with no plastic inbetween the glass and aluminum...

I'll NEVER go back (and everyone that has gone naked that I know of won't either...). If a teeny tiny bit of cosmetic damage bothers you, then fine, but every phone I have sold/traded has passed for "excellent" condition, tiny scratches and all :p

----------

First of all the glass is NOT scratch free but scratch resistant. They are NOT the same thing. There is no way to prevent scratches no matter how carefull you are and you will get scratches even if only hairline ones. As for screen protectors being useless that's your opinion and not one shared by everyone. Personally I think it's worthwhile having one and doesn't deter in the least from the experience of using the phone compared to having no screen saver.

And that right there is the problem. Going naked is NOT about being able to do so and keep your device "flawless". I fully expect that a device I use naked for a full year will have SOME sign of use.

The great part is, when I go to sell/trade it, I STILL get as much money as a "flawless" unit (when you factor in the cost of the case/protectors). Next time you go to a trade site, check out the $$$ difference between "flawless" and "excellent". It's literally $10-20 usually, the most I've ever seen was $35.

What else costs $10-35? A CASE.

Just go naked :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.