Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Been waiting for the Tech 21 case to come out for the 6 Plus and while the website says "coming soon," I happened to stumble on one at my local Best Buy.

Let me tell you, this is a sweet case.

Hope to post picture later today.

I know some people may not like the orange, however, happens to be my favorite color.

The case fits very well. A secure fit, no movement whatsoever once the phone is in, give it a big enough lip where you can place it screen down and the screen not touch the surface.

I was able to grab the Classic Clear Check Case for my SG 6+.

Anyone else waiting for Tech21? Anyone else owned one before. This is the first one I own. My last case was Lifeproof and I figured this time around with such a big phone I go with the slimmest and most protecting of cases.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I foolishly went through several different cases on my 6 while waiting to be able to order the Tech 21 case. I had it on my 5 and loved it. I now have the Smokey Classic Check case for my space gray iPhone 6, and it is awesome in every way. Just the right amount of grip, feels good in the hand, great drop protection, buttons function well, shows off the back of the phone, and looks great.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,338

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Another pic

(Sorry, hard on the iPhone to get multiple pics to upload)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,723

jackwins

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I had a tech21 on my 5s and loved it. I've been hawking the tech21 site waiting for the smokey case to go on sale but still no luck. I'm glad best buy had them for sale. I just ordered one. I'll have it Wednesday

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Does it add a lot of width to the phone? The Plus is already big enough without extra width.

urbanwoodsman

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2013
This is awesome. I live in NYC and am visiting Toronto right now. I've had an iPhone 6+ since the release day and finding cases has been awful. I went to 6 stores in Toronto and the only ones I could find were clear glittery CaseMate cases. NYC had a few cases in Best Buy the first couple of days but most were worse than any of the $5 chinese cases on Amazon. Neither Adorama nor B&H had any in stock.

This is really good news. Hopefully more cases start showing up.

stevefo

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
I have the Tech21 smoke gray on my 6 and I love it. I had it on my 5S also.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Been waiting for the Tech 21 case to come out for the 6 Plus and while the website says "coming soon," I happened to stumble on one at my local Best Buy.

I know some people may not like the orange, however, happens to be my favorite color.

The case fits very well. A secure fit, no movement whatsoever once the phone is in, give it a big enough lip where you can place it screen down and the screen not touch the surface.

Anyone else waiting for Tech21? Anyone else owned one before. This is the first one I own. My last case was Lifeproof and I figured this time around with such a big phone I go with the slimmest and most protecting of cases.

I just bought the same one for my Gold i6 and my sons Black i5 at BestBuy. I didn't think I would like it, but I was soooo wrong. I love it and the orange looks great with my wallpaper and the clear back still shows the gold of my phone. Win!! ;)

Last edited:

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Just saw that my local Best Buy has them in stock and will probably get one sometime this week. Does the case add grip or does it feel slippery?

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Just saw that my local Best Buy has them in stock and will probably get one sometime this week. Does the case add grip or does it feel slippery?

Yes it adds grip. That is not just an orange color, it is actually injected into the design for impact protection. I saw other colors there as well. Purple, blue, smoke etc. But the orange is the only one I saw with the clear back. Check it out here: https://www.tech21.com/impactology/

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
I was hoping you could post the specific case description or a stock number of this case. I am trying to locate on Amazon, and wanted to be sure that the Amazon case was the same one:
http://www.amazon.com/Tech21-Classi...2651510&sr=8-1&keywords=tech+21+iphone+6+case

The one I have posted is the Clear Classic Check CASE.

There is a case, a frame and shell. The Case is one solid piece and they have a checkered pattern on the backs of them, I think the frame is a bumper that comes with a removable plastic back piece and the shell is a smooth back with no pattern.

Here is a link they have that helps with figuring out which one is the one for you.

https://www.tech21.com/styles/

I think on Amazon they will be cheaper, but as of right now they only have ones for the regular 6

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I was hoping you could post the specific case description or a stock number of this case. I am trying to locate on Amazon, and wanted to be sure that the Amazon case was the same one:
http://www.amazon.com/Tech21-Classi...2651510&sr=8-1&keywords=tech+21+iphone+6+case

That one is different than the one that I got at BestBuy. Mine has the classic check pattern on the back and doesn't have the black line across the back. It was $34.99. Looks like with price and shipping on Amazon, it would only be $5.00 cheaper. Here is the link to the one that I got. I got the 6, but there is one for the Plus. Model# and sku is on the link http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tech21-...Id=8536167&st=tech21 iphone 6+ case&cp=1&lp=2

Last edited:

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
I'm really considering this case. Looks good and provides great protection, it seems. I have two concerns, though:

The button responsiveness: how is it in this version for the 6 Plus?

The whole "bendgate" dilemma: being a TPU case, is it fairly rigid? Does anyone know if it will prevent the phone from bending? Now, I know this whole "bendgate" issue is blown way out of proportion, but there have been a few people who's phones have bent while in cases. Just want to keep my bases covered.

I'm currently using the Pelican Protector, which is very sturdy, but I really want to try this Tech21 case.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
I'm really considering this case. Looks good and provides great protection, it seems. I have two concerns, though:

The button responsiveness: how is it in this version for the 6 Plus?

The whole "bendgate" dilemma: being a TPU case, is it fairly rigid? Does anyone know if it will prevent the phone from bending? Now, I know this whole "bendgate" issue is blown way out of proportion, but there have been a few people who's phones have bent while in cases. Just want to keep my bases covered.

I'm currently using the Pelican Protector, which is very sturdy, but I really want to try this Tech21 case.

I haven't noticed any issues using the buttons. Responsiveness is great.

As to the bending issue, I've sat with it in my pocket all day at work, done work around the house....phone hasn't bent.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
I haven't noticed any issues using the buttons. Responsiveness is great.

As to the bending issue, I've sat with it in my pocket all day at work, done work around the house....phone hasn't bent.

Awesome, thanks for the response!

I only ask because I had one for my 5s, and the power button was very difficult to press. I guess they must've fixed it on this version.

Glad to hear that about the bending. I'm thinking it's a phone-specific defect, from what I've read on these forums.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL

I had a pink Tech 21 for my 5S and loved it. It just felt nice in-hand, and it was cool having the added drop protection as well. Plus, it was the perfect shade of pink, which was clearly the most important element. ;)

cnick6

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Bellevue, WA

I just picked up the Tech21 Smokey check case for the 6+ and while it's very grippy and tacky, I would have to disagree with you about the movement.

Like a lot of these soft cases, the sides roughly in the mid-point of the case are very soft and flexible. It doesn't grip as tight as I would have hoped. The rigidity of the case is fairly modest. If the case was more rigid then it would be a lot better.

Don't misunderstand, the case stays on fine but if you attempt to pick up the phone from the edges (in the middle) the side of the case will slide off a tad.

My only other complaint is that the power/wake button is not very clicky. It's does click but it's a dull-click. It's not as clicky as the Apple Silicone case, for example.

I do love the feel of the case, but I'll have to see how the edges hold up over time to make sure it doesn't become annoying.

Oh, and as somewhat expected, the back of the case will pick up fingerprint grease easy but it's easily wiped off.

----------

I only ask because I had one for my 5s, and the power button was very difficult to press. I guess they must have fixed it on this version.

Unfortunately, it's not as clicky as other cases such as the Apple Silicone case. It's a dull-click sensation. I can overlook it but it's not perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.