Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
So I just bought an iPod Classic 160GB for $250 but the hold button is recessed which means I cannot slide it to lock or unlock the iPod. The iPod functions completely fine otherwise and the body is in great shape with barely any scratches on the back and none on the front. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to get it fixed or did I just end up tossing away $250?? Will Apple even bother to fix it since they don't sell it anymore??

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
If it's under a year old it still has a warranty. Enter your serial number on this website. I can't guarantee Apple will fix it though. If you do find it is still under warranty, it doesn't hurt to explain the problem and ask them if they can fix it.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
If it's under a year old it still has a warranty. Enter your serial number on this website. I can't guarantee Apple will fix it though. If you do find it is still under warranty, it doesn't hurt to explain the problem and ask them if they can fix it.

Well the serial number comes up as invalid. I tried it several times to make sure I typed it correctly. I'm reading it off the back of the iPod cause I don't have the box. Leads me to think Apple would not fix it if the serial is not valid.

Correction: The serial found in the settings seems to work. It's what shows up when I sync the iPod to my Mac. But it's not the same as what's on the back of the iPod itself. Is that normal?

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Not normal, whoever had it before you probably changed the back case because it was all scratched up like they always do. And that could explain the hold button issues, it could be an old used button and/or it could have been installed wrong when switching the rear plate.

If the numbers don't match, it's quite possible Apple won't repair it since they'd know it's been opened and had parts changed. You could attempt a return if possible, or try and repair it yourself. Opening the iPod classic is a bit of a pain, but it's do able and parts are pretty inexpensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.