Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amacron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
crestwood ky
ok my dad lives up in Michigan and I live in Kentucky. how would i go about setting our computers up so I can take control of his computer (with his permission) so I can help him fix things on his computer that he doesnt understand?

fcomstoc

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I use a tool called Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx) for this. Once set up you can control the device remotely without having to set up port forwarding or anything like that. In this case both of you would download and install team viewer, he would read you the username and pass code generated by the program and you would have access just as if you were there.

I use this tool because it works on any OS and is easy to set up and use, I have used this to fix friends/relatives' macs and PCs.

If you set up an account (free) and add the remote computer to your list you can access it anytime, making quick changes easy.

Amacron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
crestwood ky
I tried the the team viewer and it worked great.

Now if i could only get my Dad not to mess with his computer I would be all set..

I wonder if they have an app for that?? Hmmm

Thanks again.

I also tried to do the jabber thing couldn't get it to work. thanks for the suggestion though!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I tried the the team viewer and it worked great.

Now if i could only get my Dad not to mess with his computer I would be all set..

I wonder if they have an app for that?? Hmmm

Thanks again.

I also tried to do the jabber thing couldn't get it to work. thanks for the suggestion though!

Since your Dad is a new Mac user I highly suggest you get him the book OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual. As an older person he will like this funny logical book that will make him a great Mac user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.