Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Styx: Master of Shadows is a brilliant infiltration game mixing Thief and Hitman with Goblins. It's currently 20% off for launch and is €23.99

The game oozes quality, from the detailed graphics( despite using Unreal 3 ), and mixes in some very atmospheric music, and sounds. It makes you want to play more, and you definitely need to take your time in this game. Watching guards, tracking their movements, and planning your next move.

It uses the Unreal 3 engine, and the recommended graphics cards are the AMD 5850, and GTX 560. It'll happily run in Bootcamp, the game is locked at 62FPS. Most likely the same on consoles.

Steam Store Page

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242640/#

I’ve been playing on Goblin difficulty, which means you cannot fight anyone head on. They kill you instantly, and they are relentless in hunting you down. You can also turn off all the objective markers if you want to make things even more difficult. The world some what open, with multiple ways to get the job done.

Screenshots

JqxP2Wz.png

ywq0sYq.png

pwzJGjb.png

2QNg37Q.png

DzhciQ0.png

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The title sounds like an album from the band Styx. At least that's what I thought when I fist saw the thread title. LOL

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Styx is an awesome character from the game "Of Orcs and Men." This game is a follow up to that one and I'm not surprised to hear it is good. I have it wish listed on Steam. I really enjoyed "Of Orcs and Men."

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Styx is an awesome character from the game "Of Orcs and Men." This game is a follow up to that one and I'm not surprised to hear it is good. I have it wish listed on Steam. I really enjoyed "Of Orcs and Men."

Follows up? I'm not so sure. In Of Orcs and Men people know of Goblins and the Inquisition has been around a while.

In Styx the Orcs aren't allies of Goblins, and your character makes a references syaing " one day we might actually be allies", the Governor and soldiers think Styx was a creature made by the elves. They've never seen a goblin before.

The Governor's son Aaron also only founded the Inquisition 6 months prior to the pot of the game. In the dungeons a member asks other's how long they've been serving, and he responds " Six months now, since it was founded"

Going into detail about Rakash in Of Orcs in Men would also spoil parts of Styx: Master of Shadows.

Even so, the game is exceptionally good. 13 hours now, and I'm still having a blast in it.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Follows up? I'm not so sure. In Of Orcs and Men people know of Goblins and the Inquisition has been around a while.

In Styx the Orcs aren't allies of Goblins, and your character makes a references syaing " one day we might actually be allies", the Governor and soldiers think Styx was a creature made by the elves. They've never seen a goblin before.

The Governor's son Aaron also only founded the Inquisition 6 months prior to the pot of the game. In the dungeons a member asks other's how long they've been serving, and he responds " Six months now, since it was founded"

Going into detail about Rakash in Of Orcs in Men would also spoil parts of Styx: Master of Shadows.

Even so, the game is exceptionally good. 13 hours now, and I'm still having a blast in it.

I simply meant it is a followup to "Of Orcs and Men" in that it is another chapter featuring the Styx character of the previous game and that it is the second game in this world by the same company. I understand what you mean though as the game is a prequel to the events of the original game. I should have mentioned that.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
I simply meant it is a followup to "Of Orcs and Men" in that it is another chapter featuring the Styx character of the previous game and that it is the second game in this world by the same company. I understand what you mean though as the game is a prequel to the events of the original game. I should have mentioned that.

Ah thanks. I never played of Orcs and Men, and it's on my wishlist now. Especially since Styx is so darn fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.