Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 8.1, build 12B407, to registered developers for testing purposes, just over a week after the release of the first iOS 8.1 beta.

Apple has also released Apple TV Software beta 2 and Xcode 6.1 golden master seed 2.

os81beta2.jpg
iOS 8.1 includes several bug fixes for issues in iOS 8, including a fix for a Bluetooth connectivity problem, and it also includes support for Apple Pay, Apple's mobile payments service that is launching in October.

Along with iOS 8.1, Apple is also simultaneously working on iOS 8.2 and iOS 8.3, all of which are expected to add new functionality to the operating system.

iOS 8 has had a rough start, with Apple temporarily removing HealthKit ahead of the launch of iOS 8 and then releasing an unstable iOS 8.0.1 update that disabled the cellular and Touch ID service of many users. Apple released iOS 8.0.2 to fix the issue, but several other problems have come to light, including a bug that causes iCloud Drive documents to be deleted.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second iOS 8.1 Beta to Developers

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
they should make sure it doesn't break my touch ID and cell service first...then add apple pay

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Probably not safe to update over the air if you have not registered your UDID. Just a heads up for all those people.

EDIT: Apparently this is not the case. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hoping 8.1 fixes copy/paste and Safari keyboard freezing and crashing the app.

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Weird Siri Problem

Probably not appropriate for this particular thread...

But last night I was streaming Netflix to my iPad (iOS8) and had my iPhone (iOS8) nearby. Some audio came out of my iPad from the Netflix stream and Siri started trying to answer a non-asked question from both my iPad and iPhone!

The Netflix audio did not include "Hey Siri". Never had this before.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Kinda cutting it close since 8.1 has to be on the new iPads before packaging. I guess packaging will start in the next few days. Following past launched iPads need to be in store before October 24. Apple seems to be really pushing the envelope, no wonder 8.01 had that bug.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Probably not appropriate for this particular thread...

But last night I was streaming Netflix to my iPad (iOS8) and had my iPhone (iOS8) nearby. Some audio came out of my iPad from the Netflix stream and Siri started trying to answer a non-asked question from both my iPad and iPhone!

The Netflix audio did not include "Hey Siri". Never had this before.

I've been getting this a lot, was watching TV last night whilst doing some dev work, Siri kept popping up all the time in response to random TV audio. I've disabled that feature for now which is a shame as I like using it in the car but can't be bothered to keep reminding myself to switch it on and off.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Hoping 8.1 fixes copy/paste and Safari keyboard freezing and crashing the app.

yeah ive noticed this. especially on AppleInsider.com, which seems to use a lot more javascript and messes w/ my ability to select text.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I'm just glad there is a new Xcode 6.1 GM. The previous GM was a turd sandwich when editing Swift code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.