Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriswitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Los Angeles
I was all set with creating iPhoto Journals from my iPhone while on vacation. I had created quite a few and am seriously disappointed that I can't rely on that service any longer.

So I'm hoping someone here can recommend an alternative to easily create web sites on the go that have both photo's and text. I don't use Facebook or anything like that - I want individual sites devoted to my trip reports that I can refer to later when I'm slaving away at work.

The only thing that looks remotely promising so far is Evernote since I can share a link to the individual note (I email those family members I want to see the web page). But I can't seem to organize the page the same way I could with iPhoto (maybe it's possible?).

Anyway, I'm hoping the collective brain trust of Mac Rumors can suggest something else.

Thanks!

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I'm not sure exactly what iPhoto journals were, but I'd take a look at Day One. It's an outstanding journal app/application. I just use it for travel. It is more on the journaling end of things, in that it's not a substitute for say a gallery of many travel photos; each entry is sort of one photo. But it can automatically include location and weather, you can link them to social networks of various kinds, and it works on several devices. And it looks good.

chriswitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey thanks for the idea. I appreciate it.

For the record, here's one of my journals, for reference, of what I'm trying to replace: JOURNAL.

I purchased Day One and tried it out. It's very nice and has the features you mentioned, so that was a really good suggestion. I also like that there's a way to publish to the web.

On the down side, and I mention this in case you (or someone) knows something I don't about Day One, I can only add 1 photo to 1 entry. Right?

The app is really nice, and I'm willing to change my expectations, but it seems pretty far from what I'm used to.

Again - thanks for the recommendation!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I was all set with creating iPhoto Journals from my iPhone while on vacation. I had created quite a few and am seriously disappointed that I can't rely on that service any longer.

So I'm hoping someone here can recommend an alternative to easily create web sites on the go that have both photo's and text. I don't use Facebook or anything like that - I want individual sites devoted to my trip reports that I can refer to later when I'm slaving away at work.

The only thing that looks remotely promising so far is Evernote since I can share a link to the individual note (I email those family members I want to see the web page). But I can't seem to organize the page the same way I could with iPhoto (maybe it's possible?).

Anyway, I'm hoping the collective brain trust of Mac Rumors can suggest something else.

Thanks!
Photostream Shares can be made available via web. Have used this for quite awhile.

VSing

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2006
Not true!

Yes

Built into the core iOS since iOS6 2012?

Photostream is NOTHING like the old iPhoto web journal! You can name a photo but you cannot put a text description of where you went and what was going on in the photo like you could with iPhoto's Web Journal and there certainly are not any great templates to paste your pictures into. And you have to share the whole photo stream, you can't make an album for one trip or subject. You should look at the original poster's JOURNALS link to see what we are talking about.:mad:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I'm still looking for an alternative to iPhoto Web Journals. I use Shared Photo Streams all the time, but Web Journals weren't just pictures - you could have text boxes for narratives, map boxes, calendar boxes, etc. Is there anything else like that, for either iPad or iPhone?

Edit: attached example of Web Journal created on my iPad 2, way back when. I only made a few of them, but they were great! I had them linked from subdomains (e.g., webjournal.mydomain.com) which made them incredibly easy to share with friends and family.

IMG_0448.jpg

Last edited:

dluke

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2018
I am frankly shocked that nothing has really come out with the same abilities as the old iPhoto Projects. Like the others have posted, I absolutely loved the ability to put "other" things (locations, dates, texts) in with the pictures to actually help tell the story. You could also play with the size of the images to really highlight some pics over others. In my head that seems like an easy thing for Apple to transfer over to Photos, but apparently not!

I'm also still a little bitter that I have completely lost my old projects that I had on iPhoto. I miss one announcement and lose my opportunity to transfer them or create a pdf as least to save my hard work over a number of years.

Will someone with much more tech knowhow PLEASE create an app that can Web Journal like iPhoto did?!?!?!?

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I’m also looking for a photo journal app, but purpose is more like a scrapbook with the option to get the book printed to to export it to a file. I liked the iPad version of iPhoto for this, but Apple took the feature away and I don’t get why.

chriswitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Los Angeles
I’m also looking for a photo journal app, but purpose is more like a scrapbook with the option to get the book printed to to export it to a file. I liked the iPad version of iPhoto for this, but Apple took the feature away and I don’t get why.

To each his own, but I ended up installing the non-subscription version of “Day One” from the App Store. Whenever it’s convenient, I add photos to it and a bit of commentary (I use a keyboard with my iPad). The application offers the ability to print to book, so at the end of the year I print all the activities I did for the year to a paperback that I put in the living room or on a coffee table. It’s a nice conversation starter.

Either way - good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.