Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone continues to grow in popularity with U.S. teenagers, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster's latest semiannual teen survey, which asked approximately 7,200 teens with an average age of 16 years about their device usage habits and future buying plans.

67 percent of surveyed teens owned an iPhone, compared to 61 percent in the Spring survey, and 73 percent of teens expect their next phone to be an iPhone. Much of Apple's gains in ownership came from Android, which lost five percentage points over the last several months. iPhone usage among teens may jump significantly in the next few months, as the survey was conducted just before the introduction of the larger-screened iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

teensurveyfall2014.jpg
While iPad ownership remained high at 66 percent, there was no growth compared to the Spring survey. Android tablets also saw ownership numbers drop, and of customers planning to buy a tablet in the next six months, 60 percent plan to choose an iPad Air or iPad mini.

As for the upcoming Apple Watch, interest among teenagers remains relatively low. Only 16 percent of teens said they would be interested in purchasing an Apple Watch for $350, down slightly from the Spring survey where 17 percent expressed interest. Munster's survey was, however, conducted before the Apple Watch was announced, so interest numbers may shift in the next Spring survey.

Younger customers have always been important to Apple as it gives the company a chance to create lifelong customers. Apple's recent acquisition of Beats Electronics, for example, may have partially taken place as an effort to remain relevant among teenage users. In a survey of 10,000 students, a quarter believed the deal would make Apple more "cool," while 50 percent believed the acquisition would increase Apple's popularity among students.

Article Link: iPhone and iPad Remain Popular With Teens, Interest in Apple Watch Tepid Ahead of Unveiling

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Apple needs to highlight more of how the watch can currently enhance people's lifestyle. There is a lot of possibility, but much more needs to be fleshed out.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
While everyone wants a phone with faster internals and longer battery, the same can't be said for the iPad. While faster, thinner, longer everything is great, it's time to overhaul the iPad and offer us something new software/productivity wise.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
The fact that you have to pair it with an iPhone nearby is not going to go well.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
My kids aren't quite in their teens yet and already all of their friends want iPhones. It's the phone to have.. even at younger ages.

:apple:

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
My 16 year old sister's iPhone 5 contract just ran out, she was going to get the iPhone 6 for the bigger screen, but thought it was really ugly. Ended up getting a Sony Xperia. Her friends are doing the same. (Small minority I know, but I was a little shocked when she told me this.)

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Looks like it's INCREASING in popularity to me.

RIP MacRumors. Liked you better before you were purchased by Samsung.

----------

The fact that you have to pair it with an iPhone nearby is not going to go well.

You don't HAVE to!!!

And yes it's going to go well. You can't realistically expect to put a wifi, LTE, GPS, battery, etc. in a watch size can you? And when it happens, you can bet that American Apple will do it before Korean Samsung.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
I want an Apple Watch, dunno how much of a **** I would look though, I don't like showing off, but I can't help but feel thats what people would think if I was wearing one

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
That 16% jump from nothing in the Microsoft category for "planning on buying a new tablet". Can't ignore that.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Teenagers would rather buy Beats Headphones then a $350 :apple:Watch.

I still think once people get more familiar with the :apple:Watch, more intrest will rise.
Be sure to get back to us when you've splashed out the money on your new iWatch. You can tell us about all the problems so we dont have to spend the money.

georgB

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Europe
Dick Tracy

I'm not too surprised that youngsters don't crave an iWatch. So far, it doesn't have (enough?) must-have cool features for them - which is not to say I know what that'd be. My guess is that those who are most enthusiastic are older types, like me, of the Dick Tracy generation, who felt that the Wrist Radio Watch was the cat's pyjamas. Unfortunately, we'll probably not be big buyers of the watch, either, because you can't, so far, call, let alone FaceTime, over it. But when that arrives ...

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
That 16% jump from nothing in the Microsoft category for "planning on buying a new tablet". Can't ignore that.
Also own a tablet computer, Windows 10%, cant ignore that either. I've got both iPad Air and original Surface, the Surface is now running faster than my iPad due to IOS 8.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
$400 watch that I still need my mega iPhone 6+ to run with? No thank you, I'll peek at the Apple watch 2 when that comes out. Everyone knows that the first generation apple watch is for suckers

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I'm not too surprised that youngsters don't crave an iWatch. So far, it doesn't have (enough?) must-have cool features for them - which is not to say I know what that'd be. My guess is that those who are most enthusiastic are older types, like me, of the Dick Tracy generation, who felt that the Wrist Radio Watch was the cat's pyjamas. Unfortunately, we'll probably not be big buyers of the watch, either, because you can't, so far, call, let alone FaceTime, over it. But when that arrives ...

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

With Jony Ive and Marc Newsom showing off the watch at Paris Fashion Week I get the feeling Apple is really market focus for the the watch is for adults. I don't think any kids would go for the gold plated version but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
an apple watch is a luxury thing, i mean you don't really need it(like you need a phone or mac/pc), you just want it
for those who has already luxury watch will buy an apple watch just for fun or out of curiosity

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
If I took this survey I would half to answer I would not buy and iWatch for $350 because to me knowledge there is no such thing.

But I would really really love me a Apple Watch :rolleyes:

----------

Good. More of a chance for me to be able to pick up a watch on day one.

Yeah because teens have $350 laying around any way :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.