Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
1. I do not have the case on most of the time. I only wear the case when I go out and am wearing pants. In fact, I've been wearing more gym shorts and sweatpants (college student) lately to play it on the safe side. My jeans are not tight in any exceptional way, they're a casual fit. When I'm home the case comes immediately off because I much prefer the device naked. There isn't a scratch on the thing.

2. No, I did not lay my iPhone 5 on top of the lens. The iPhone 5 is 100% on the backside body.

3. This is not some anti-Apple conspiracy here. I'm going to the store to get it replaced in the next few days. I will keep this thread updated on how Apple handles the situation.
AIKQiyR.jpg

Full album here
http://imgur.com/a/D2LOU
Reddit thread for those who are interested here
http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2ilswo/i_made_fun_of_people_freaking_out_over_bendgate/

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Let us know how it works out for you. Hopefully Apple takes care of you.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Do you have to use force to get the case off? Could the pressure of doing that cause the bend, especially if the weak spot is by the volume rocker? How often do you pull the case off?

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Well sorry it happened to you and taking it in to Apple is the most logical next step. Hope you get a replacement.

Keep looking at mine everyday as so far so good. As others have stated it could very be be due to a a bad batch that had some weakness in them?

Ahh, on a 2nd look you must have used excessive force when putting the the switch on the side to mute ;)

JeremyE

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
The closest Apple store to me is 2 hours away, so I hope my apple.com order iPhone 6 Plus doesn't happen like this. Will be a headache.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Do you have to use force to get the case off? Could the pressure of doing that cause the bend, especially if the weak spot is by the volume rocker? How often do you pull the case off?

I do pull the case off often. Everytime I come home I pretty much take it off first thing. However, on the Apple leather case the looser end is on the bottom. So I always pull the case off from the bottom half. May I be exerting pressure on the top half of the phone? Maybe. Certainly not enough to bend the damn thing.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
This bending issue has actually put me completely off buying the phone.

Was all for it a few days ago (after having rants over it being ok big. I decided to just get over that) and was all set to order one but how many threads had there been just on this forum about bent iPhones in the past few days?

And the amount of people defending this issue truly amazes me. Seriously I've seen people say 'don't put it in your pocket' and 'you're carrying it wrong' 'it's not meant to be carried in your pocket' etc. People have been carrying phones in their pockets since they became portable devices. If this was an issue every phone ever would bend during normal every day use. This is an issue with the iPhone 6/6+ line. people continuing to defend a plainly obvious flaw is hysterical fanboyism at it's best. It was the same with the antenna issue the 4. Then Apple acknowledged the issue and the fanboys tune changed (although my iPhone 4 had zero antenna issues).

Thanks Apple but I'll keep my £619 (was going to get he 64gb 6) until you sort this issue out. Or at the very least acknowledge it is an issue and tell us what you plan to do about it. I look forward to that time so I can buy my new iPhone.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I made fun of all the hoopla surrounding Bendgate. Then my iPhone 6 Plus bent :/

Look at the degree of the bend and the location. Whether the apple addicts want to admit it or not, there is a structural weakness with some of these phones. This doesn't mean ALL of them have this lack of integrity, but it is clear that some do. I have a plus and it is not bent, yet. I baby the heck out of this thing, as I have all my phones, but I should not have to worry that this $1000 device, with slight pressures of casual use (pockets, etc), will deform when the past iPhones have withheld a heck of a lot more hardcore use by the general consumer without suffering any deformity issues (excluding the back pocket incidents which will always be the user's fault).

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
This bending issue has actually put me completely off buying the phone.

Was all for it a few days ago (after having rants over it being ok big. I decided to just get over that) and was all set to order one but how many threads had there been just on this forum about bent iPhones in the past few days?

And the amount of people defending this issue truly amazes me. Seriously I've seen people say 'don't put it in your pocket' and 'you're carrying it wrong' 'it's not meant to be carried in your pocket' etc. People have been carrying phones in their pockets since they became portable devices. If this was an issue every phone ever would bend during normal every day use. This is an issue with the iPhone 6/6+ line. people continuing to defend a plainly obvious flaw is hysterical fanboyism at it's best. It was the same with the antenna issue the 4. Then Apple acknowledged the issue and the fanboys tune changed (although my iPhone 4 had zero antenna issues).

Thanks Apple but I'll keep my £619 (was going to get he 64gb 6) until you sort this issue out. Or at the very least acknowledge it is an issue and tell us what you plan to do about it. I look forward to that time so I can buy my new iPhone.

Agreed. "Don't put the phone in your pocket"......seriously? Where would you recommend I put it then?

I'm thinking it may be a bad batch, as Apple claims they did x amount of thousands of tests, and real world tests. Surely they would've caught this as it's always bending in the same area.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
1. I do not have the case on most of the time. I only wear the case when I go out and am wearing pants. In fact, I've been wearing more gym shorts and sweatpants (college student) lately to play it on the safe side. My jeans are not tight in any exceptional way, they're a casual fit. When I'm home the case comes immediately off because I much prefer the device naked. There isn't a scratch on the thing.

2. No, I did not lay my iPhone 5 on top of the lens. The iPhone 5 is 100% on the backside body.

3. This is not some anti-Apple conspiracy here. I'm going to the store to get it replaced in the next few days. I will keep this thread updated on how Apple handles the situation.

Full album here
http://imgur.com/a/D2LOU
Reddit thread for those who are interested here
http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2ilswo/i_made_fun_of_people_freaking_out_over_bendgate/

Check table. Could be uneven surface.

tj22

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Well this is obviously fake. I know this because Consumer Reports tested a different spot on the iPhone 6 and determined that spot - different than the spot you want us to believe is bent on your phone - was no more susceptible to bending than any other mass market phone.

Consumer Reports: 1
You: 0
Apple: $699

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Look at the degree of the bend and the location. Whether the apple addicts want to admit it or not, there is a structural weakness with some of these phones. This doesn't mean ALL of them have this lack of integrity, but it is clear that some do.

And these are the same people that before this would exclaim the virtues of Apple in their consistent hardware build and design.

It's all of them. While I'm sure there will be engineering diagnosis and production changes in the near future if not already in the pipeline, you can bet that the first 15 million or so are all the same. Same parts, same factory, same design.

The Fanboy faithful however will call shenanigans or that the good lord smited the countertop to be not flat.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I hope more people start to realize that this is a REAL issue. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't mean it's fake or someone's trying to sell Samsung phones.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Too bad but are you saying that it just bent from being in your pocket or taking it out of your case over and over?

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012

THIS makes sense. I have a 6 with a little Poetic case. Tight fit, and I've only taken it off once, but it is a little bit of a struggle.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
And these are the same people that before this would exclaim the virtues of Apple in their consistent hardware build and design.

It's all of them. While I'm sure there will be engineering diagnosis and production changes in the near future if not already in the pipeline, you can bet that the first 15 million or so are all the same. Same parts, same factory, same design.

The Fanboy faithful however will call shenanigans or that the good lord smited the countertop to be not flat.

Haha, you are right. Fanboy-ism is a plain shame, but comes with the territory I suppose. I've used apple/android on many occasions and think they are both good products, but to think Apple hardware is perfect just bc it is Apple shows the lack of "scientific reasoning" which is, aptly, a highly regarded area of intelligence.

ANYTHING, no matter how much it is tested within the confines of Apple, can show a slight QC problem after thrown into the hands of MILLIONS. This is a true concern that Apple will certainly handle in a professional manner, whether silently or publicly. As long as deformed phones will be replaced under warranty I am happy with that. My one concern is with the untruthful people out there who know they bent the phone from misuse or "back pocketing". Smartphones should never be in the back pocket bc one day you WILL sit on it! Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.